British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   So expensive to rent a car (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/so-expensive-rent-car-903441/)

LouisB Sep 17th 2017 1:28 pm

So expensive to rent a car

In the NYC area. We're used to getting really good deals on the west coast from England, maybe sweetened by decent exchange rates back then admittedly.

But, am I missing something? Guess it's supply and demand in the city.

Really don't want or need another car yet, until we move out of the city, but hiring one from time to time for exploring and holiday road trips would be great.

Why so much? Any recommendations?

Pulaski Sep 17th 2017 1:41 pm

Re: So expensive to rent a car

How much are you paying? I pay about $30/day, but then my own car insurance covers rentals, and my credit card covers the waiver. Paying for insurance on top would add another $20+ dollars/day.

LouisB Sep 17th 2017 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12339948)
How much are you paying? I pay about $30/day, but then my own car insurance covers rentals, and my credit card covers the waiver. Paying for insurance on top would add another $20+ dollars/day.

So far I've not, because prices are closer to $200 / day - presume all in. Quite a lot. I'm sure 300-400 a week (or even longer) was more normal elsewhere.

Also signed up for car2go but that's more like short trip stuff, .41c p/m or some fixed time rates, not suitable for long trips or by the day rentals though...

Pulaski Sep 17th 2017 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12339957)
So far I've not, because prices are closer to $200 / day - presume all in. Quite a lot. I'm sure 300-400 a week (or even longer) was more normal elsewhere.

Also signed up for car2go but that's more like short trip stuff, .41c p/m or some fixed time rates, not suitable for long trips or by the day rentals though...

Where are you getting prices from? We use travel sites like Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, etc.

Also it costs a lot more, think 30%+ to rent at an airport, because of the add-on fees and taxes. If you are renting "from home" choose a location remote from an airport, .... and probably outside NYC too.

Nutmegger Sep 17th 2017 2:12 pm

Zipcar is big in NYC. Might be worth looking into.

Car Sharing: An Alternative to Car Rental with Zipcar

petitefrancaise Sep 17th 2017 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12339960)
Where are you getting prices from? We use travel sites like Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, etc.

Also it costs a lot more, think 30%+ to rent at an airport, because of the add-on fees and taxes. If you are renting "from home" choose a location remote from an airport, .... and probably outside NYC too.

Exactly this.. it's what I've done in the past.

I've just checked the difference and it works out about 20% cheaper from the non airport location.

However, I just went to the budget rent a car website to hire a car from JFK. I specified a minivan/truck for the week of October 2- October 9th. Without any of the add-ons it was $407 for the week. For the month it was $1174 Sales tax will be on top. This was telling them I was USA resident. For UK resident the price doubled. So check that.

Chesten Sep 17th 2017 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12339948)

Could you explain a bit more? I'd seen rental cover as an option and presumed it meant if the covered car was damaged etc. Are you saying it can be used at will e.g. whenever one wants a hire car (on vacation, for an additional vehicle etc)?

kins Sep 17th 2017 2:35 pm

We often use Hotwire. I just looked up a 7-day economy rental from LGA and it came to $227 for the week...

Pulaski Sep 17th 2017 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Chesten (Post 12339972)
Could you explain a bit more? I'd seen rental cover as an option and presumed it meant if the covered car was damaged etc. Are you saying it can be used at will e.g. whenever one wants a hire car (on vacation, for an additional vehicle etc)?

Not sure about "rental cover", because I think that is the coverage for a rental while yours is repaired.

But, if you own a car in the US and (obviously) have it insured, it will typically include coverage for a rented car, such as when you have flown to another city; it isn't necessary to have flown. It won't covered the CDW, but US credit cards (Visa, MC, and Amex) all cover the CDW if you used the card to pay for the rental.

Rete Sep 17th 2017 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12339964)
Zipcar is big in NYC. Might be worth looking into.

Car Sharing: An Alternative to Car Rental with Zipcar

Personally, I found zip car more expensive than car rental companies. I prefer Enterprise. There is a great one a block from the Woodlawn train station in the Bronx. Always rented from them. Clean cars, good service, and very reasonable prices.

Pulaski Sep 17th 2017 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by kins (Post 12339974)
We often use Hotwire. I just looked up a 7-day economy rental from LGA and it came to $227 for the week...

I have just looked at Hotwire and I think you are quoting the price before taxes and fees, as the best I see, for a week (7 days) in October is $272. Then insurance will be on top, as he (the OP) doesn't own a car, and that could be easily another $30/day, so about $500 all-in (assuming he uses a credit card to cover the CDW), .... which is a long way short of the $200/ day he started out referring to. :confused:

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12339971)
..... This was telling them I was USA resident. For UK resident the price doubled. So check that.

Hmm, maybe he's getting quoted an all-inclusive price for rental, taxes, fees, and insurance? .... For a non-US resident? :unsure:

malch Sep 17th 2017 3:50 pm

Car rental can get expensive. Money saving tips:

* Book in advance (don't just show up)
* Avoid airport locations and all of those extra taxes
* Don't buy their insurance unless you absolutely have to. Check with your regular auto insurance company before you rent to check their coverage. Also check credit card benefits and conditions on car rental insurance.
* Shop around. I've had some excellent deals via CarRentals.com

There are also some super-cheap no-frills rental companies. I've had some good luck with Advantage Car Rental. Limited locations, economy cars, no frills and low prices. Have picked up cars at LHR -- their facilities amounted to a shed on the airfield (not kidding). However, they are owned by Hertz so the operation has solid backing.

S Folinsky Sep 17th 2017 4:18 pm

I use the Costco car rental service. BTW, Costco members can reserve for other people. If you use it, recheck the rates every so often, the rates may drop, so make a new reservation and then cancel the old one.

Also, reservations through Costco include two drivers who need not be related.

On our last trip to visit our grandson, Budget/Alamo had a low price for a compact SUV. We grabbed it. It was not available at other times we checked. It was described as a "Ford Escape or similar" on the reservation. At ROC, they put us in a Subaru Crossteck. Not bad.

britinusa777777755 Sep 17th 2017 5:40 pm

Take the path train to New Jersey and rent from there, 40 dollars per day

LouisB Sep 17th 2017 6:52 pm

Hi, thanks for replies and ideas.

I should have been clearer, was thinking when renting for 1 or 2 days, short term and from somewhere local (you can get to without a car or too much hassle).

Prices seemed to be $160 p/d locally, I guess that would be the all in price for a local.

Zip car is an option but not sure about one-way fees and long journey feasibility.

Really thinking of ways to get out of town on the odd weekend, go explore the state and surroundings.

For a 2 week road trip I suspect that would be different, there we'd get a good bulk deal and travelling out of town to pick up and drop off makes more sense.

Originally Posted by britinusa777777755 (Post 12340097)
Take the path train to New Jersey and rent from there, 40 dollars per day

This might be the best bet it seems. Looks like once you get out of the city the prices do drop off dramatically, although still looked like $80 p/d for short term rentals, just out of town in NJ city. Perhaps drops to $40 a bit further out, I'll have to look into what's easy to get to by train.