Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So desperate for answers

So desperate for answers

Old Mar 15th 2002, 12:20 am
Just Joined

Malaris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So desperate for answers

Hi, my name is Amanda. Afer relentless hours and hours of searching for a few answers I have come up with nothing. I am hoping someone can please help me, calling the US Immigration help line is hopeless.

My Fiance lives in Perth Australia, he is 17 years old and I am 19. We want to apply for a fiance K-1 Visa but we arent sure about his age. If his mother approves him getting married do I send in the approval of hers in with the I-129F Form? Is it even allowed that someone under the age of 18 from Australia can come and get married to a US citizen and live here? He turns 18 in October. I dont want to send in the papers and have them ask for more information or turn us down. We just want to be together as soon as possible. He was here just a week ago.

Also, In case that I dont meet the income requirements can I have someone in my immeadiate family Co-Sponser him?

One more question, how long does it usually take for a K-1 Visa petetion to be approved? I've heard it all from 1 month to a year or 2. Thank you very much for your time, it is very appriciated.

Very confused in New Mexico, USA

Amanda
Old Mar 15th 2002, 4:05 pm
Wolf

Default Re: So desperate for answers

Malaris <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Also, In case that I dont meet the income requirements can I have someone in my
    > immeadiate family Co-Sponser him?

I'm not too sure about your other questions, but to this I can definitely say that
it's allowed. My mother-in-law sponsored me during the first part of our immigration
adventure, mainly because my wife was a student at the time.

Good luck! Wolf

Old Mar 16th 2002, 3:29 am
Just Joined

The only thing I worry about is my mom said she would co sponsor because she meets the requirement but she has 2 dependants. Anyway, Thanks
Old Mar 16th 2002, 9:05 am
Michael Voight

Malaris wrote:
    >
    > Hi, my name is Amanda. Afer relentless hours and hours of searching for a few
    > answers I have come up with nothing. I am hoping someone can please help me,
    > calling the US Immigration help line is hopeless.

Why ?

>
    > My Fiance lives in Perth Australia, he is 17 years old and I am 19. We want to
    > apply for a fiance K-1 Visa but we arent sure about his age.

My understanding is the fiance has to be at least 18.

>If his mother approves him getting married do I send in the approval of hers in with
    >the I-129F Form? Is it even allowed that someone under the age of 18 from Australia
    >can come and get married to a US citizen and live here?

I don't think so. You aren't going to listen to this, but I am going to say it
anyway. Don't do it. A male at 17 is NOT ready for marriage.

He turns 18 in October. I dont want to send in the papers and
    > have them ask for more information or turn us down. We just want to be together as
    > soon as possible. He was here just a week ago. Also, In case that I dont meet the
    > income requirements can I have someone in my immeadiate family Co-Sponser him?

Any citizen or permanent resident that meets the income requirements can sponsor They
don't have to be a relative
    >
    > One more question, how long does it usually take for a K-1 Visa petetion to be
    > approved? I've heard it all from 1 month to a year or 2.

The process of getting the visa should take less than a year. My recommendation is
that if you must get married, wait until October. Then, get married and file the
I-130 in Australia. Then he can come here as a permanent resident. I believe
Australia permits the direct filing of I-130.

Michael

Old Mar 16th 2002, 11:41 am
Just Joined

My understanding is the fiance has to be at least 18.
Ive called the Immigration dept. on this, and they told me they are showing no age requirement. I spoke to 2 different people. US law says you have to be 18 to marry, as long as the wedding takes place after he turns 18 then everything should be fine. Where did you hear this?

I don't think so. You aren't going to listen to this, but I am going to say it
anyway. Don't do it. A male at 17 is NOT ready for marriage.
In saying that, I am assuming that one would be ready on the exact date of his 18th birthday. Not 7 months prior? You or no one else can say when someone is or isnt ready for marrige. Thats a personal decision and can vary from induvidual to individual. I can see if he was 15...

My recommendation is
that if you must get married, wait until October. Then, get married and file the
I-130 in Australia. Then he can come here as a permanent resident.
We thought about this, but in the end it would take much longer and be more complicated for the entire process, and we want our family to be there. But thank you for the suggestion.
Old Mar 17th 2002, 9:35 pm
Mr. Romantic

Malaris wrote:
    >
    > wrote:
    > > My understanding is the fiance has to be at least 18. Ive called the
    > > Immigration dept. on this, and they told me they are showing no age
    > > requirement. I spoke to 2 different people. US law says you have to be 18 to
    > > marry, as long as the wedding takes place after he turns 18 then everything
    > > should be fine. Where did you hear this? I don't think so. You aren't going to
    > > listen to this, but I am going to say it anyway. Don't do it. A male at 17 is
    > > NOT ready for marriage. In saying that, I am assuming that one would be ready
    > > on the exact date of his 18th birthday. Not 7 months prior? You or no one else
    > > can say when someone is or isnt ready for marrige. Thats a personal decision
    > > and can vary from induvidual to individual. I can see if he was 15... My
    > > recommendation is that if you must get married, wait until October. Then, get
    > > married and file the I-130 in Australia. Then he can come here as a permanent
    > > resident.
    >
    > We thought about this, but in the end it would take much longer and be more
    > complicated for the entire process, and we want our family to be there. But thank
    > you for the suggestion.

How in the world did you manage to post my responses and your followup to it inside
the quotes? And you are getting wrong information. You do NOT have to be 18 to get
married in the US, no matter what your two stupid sources say.

How would it be more complicated? If you are getting married and want your families
to be there, then one group is going to travel to another country. Why do you think
filing I-130 in Sydney is going to be more complicated then what you are planning?
With a I-130, he will be a resident and can work as soon as he enters the US. I
never said he would be more ready for marriage on the day he turned 18. I only told
you that he had to be 18 for a fiance or spouse visa. In any case, if he is going to
be 18 in October, I gave you the recommended INS path. Marry in Oz and file the
I-130 in Sydney.

Old Mar 18th 2002, 1:35 am
Mrs Blackross

then the groom goes to jail?

"Mr. Romantic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Di Martin wrote:
    > >
    > > You have to be 18 to marry in Australia!!
    >
    > What if the bride to be is preggies?

Old Mar 18th 2002, 2:05 am
Mr. Romantic

Really, why?? In this case the bride is 18 and the groom is 17.

In Australia, would the man go to jail if he was 18 and the woman was 17? Where do
you get your knowledge of Ozzie law? Is it the same all over, or is the law on this
different from NSW or Queensland?

Mrs Blackross wrote:
    >
    > then the groom goes to jail?
    >
    > "Mr. Romantic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Di Martin wrote:
    > > >
    > > > You have to be 18 to marry in Australia!!
    > >
    > > What if the bride to be is preggies?

Old Mar 18th 2002, 2:35 am
Alvena Ferreira

"Mr. Romantic" wrote:
    > What if the bride to be is preggies?

Pregnancy cuts no mustard with the INS. She could be pregnant with quintuplets and it
would make no difference. Alvena

See the Doc Steen site here:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm I am not a lawyer, and this
is not immigration advice. The information I provide is mostly gleaned from old
newsgroup posts and visa links on the internet. If you want or need a lawyer, go to:
http://www.aila.org

Old Mar 18th 2002, 3:05 am
Mrs Blackross

was a joke

"Mr. Romantic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Really, why?? In this case the bride is 18 and the groom is 17.
    >
    > In Australia, would the man go to jail if he was 18 and the woman was 17? Where do
    > you get your knowledge of Ozzie law? Is it the same all over, or is the law on this
    > different from NSW or Queensland?
    >
    > Mrs Blackross wrote:
    > >
    > > then the groom goes to jail?
    > >
    > > "Mr. Romantic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Di Martin wrote:
    > > > >
    > > > > You have to be 18 to marry in Australia!!
    > > >
    > > > What if the bride to be is preggies?

Old Mar 18th 2002, 5:35 am
Mr. Romantic

Sorry.. I thought you were replying in seriousness. I think I made a mistake. The
girl is 19, not 18.

Mrs Blackross wrote:
    >
    > was a joke
    >
    > "Mr. Romantic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Really, why?? In this case the bride is 18 and the groom is 17.
    > >
    > > In Australia, would the man go to jail if he was 18 and the woman was 17? Where
    > > do you get your knowledge of Ozzie law? Is it the same all over, or is the law on
    > > this different from NSW or Queensland?
    > >
    > > Mrs Blackross wrote:
    > > >
    > > > then the groom goes to jail?
    > > >
    > > > "Mr. Romantic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > > Di Martin wrote:
    > > > > >
    > > > > > You have to be 18 to marry in Australia!!
    > > > >
    > > > > What if the bride to be is preggies?

Old Mar 18th 2002, 8:05 pm
Michael Voight

Malaris wrote:
    >
    > The only thing I worry about is my mom said she would co sponsor because she meets
    > the requirement but she has 2 dependants. Anyway, Thanks

Does she meet the income requirement when everyone, plus him, is counted?

Old Mar 18th 2002, 8:35 pm
Michael Voight

Alvena Ferreira wrote:
    >
    > "Mr. Romantic" wrote:
    > > What if the bride to be is preggies?
    >
    > Pregnancy cuts no mustard with the INS. She could be pregnant with quintuplets and
    > it would make no difference. Alvena

The question was a direct response to the statement that you have to be 18 to marry
in OZ. I was asking whether the age requirement for marriage could be waived, not the
age requirement for INS..