Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So can we use the pics taken at Walgreens for UK passport?

So can we use the pics taken at Walgreens for UK passport?

Old Nov 12th 2011, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So can we use the pics taken at Walgreens for UK passport?

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Thank you ,thats interesting...

I asked my local Walgreens about that(while we did our US ones) and was met with a

I suspect we will need to travel further
Lol! Yes, keep asking. Their machines can be changed to accommodate all sorts of countries passport requirements. They just put in the card from their digital camera and scroll down the list of countries until they find the one you want.....finding a walgreen's employee that understands this however......
Old Nov 12th 2011, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Thing is, it says no home printed photos.
That's because they don't want you to use your holiday pics. Anyway... probably best to agree to disagree on this one!

Ian
Old Nov 12th 2011, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
http://www.epassportphoto.com/

Never used them myself but people here have recommended them before.
Just a heads up on this... I used epassportphoto and sent the photo to CVS for quick processing. They printed it then didn't let me buy it... said it was against policy... obviously prefer you to spend $8 for the passport photos they do rather than paying 20 cents

Sent it to another CVS near my office and they were less observant

Just a warning if you're in a hurry, since it caught me out a little.

The epassport website is excellent though.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
That's because they don't want you to use your holiday pics. Anyway... probably best to agree to disagree on this one!

Ian
Not disagreeing as such. Thought it was more to do with ink quality as inkjets always used to fade quite quickly - faster than the life of a 10 year passport. However, I note that daughter's brand new passport has an integrated photo, whereas son's (3 years ago) has the photo we supplied slotted in, as do all our previous ones. So maybe it's not relevant any more but they haven't changed their policy - but it's this latter which I didn't want to the OP to fall foul of, especially if it takes them several weeks to turn around a rejection.

One of the other rejections - not due to photo - was running out of boxes to print the hometown and United Kingdom. The final "M" was written outside of a box but they still rejected it, presumably on the basis that the computer is too stupid to work out what "United Kingdo" means, and far too difficult for a human to fix. Solution was, of course, to write UK.

While I'm in whinge mode, I eventually went to the passport office in Newport. Turned up at 10:45 for an 11:30 appointment due to train times, asked if there were any cancellations at the deserted entry hall desk. Told to come back at 11:20. Came back at 11:15 to a still deserted entry area, checked in, went upstairs to an equally deserted processing area, waited under a minute until my name was called to one of eight manned booths, each of whom was idle. Checked the form, asked two questions, told to pay, and I left the building at 11:22. Power goes to people's heads - again, if they're being petty, it's best to play by their rules and spend the extra or make the extra effort. Passport arrived two days later (fast track).

Anyway, I'm digressing somewhat. OP seems sorted anyway.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 4:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Just a heads up on this... I used epassportphoto and sent the photo to CVS for quick processing. They printed it then didn't let me buy it... said it was against policy... obviously prefer you to spend $8 for the passport photos they do rather than paying 20 cents

Sent it to another CVS near my office and they were less observant

Just a warning if you're in a hurry, since it caught me out a little.

The epassport website is excellent though.
That's a bit cheeky...but yeah, some places take the pic.

Target hasn't been a problem and they don't do passport photo's anyway, and it's 15c I think. Walmart too.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 4:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Not disagreeing as such. Thought it was more to do with ink quality as inkjets always used to fade quite quickly - faster than the life of a 10 year passport. However, I note that daughter's brand new passport has an integrated photo, whereas son's (3 years ago) has the photo we supplied slotted in, as do all our previous ones. So maybe it's not relevant any more but they haven't changed their policy - but it's this latter which I didn't want to the OP to fall foul of, especially if it takes them several weeks to turn around a rejection.
You're right about the original reason, and about them now being scanned, so less issue, probably about the size too because they can just resize themselves, but would be nice if that could be confirmed.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lisa67
Lol! Yes, keep asking. Their machines can be changed to accommodate all sorts of countries passport requirements. They just put in the card from their digital camera and scroll down the list of countries until they find the one you want.....finding a walgreen's employee that understands this however......
Yes! I had mine taken at Walgreens today and that is exactly what they did. He asked me which country, I told him and he scrolled to the country to get the specifications. He did not cut the pictures (and I didn't think he would) because he said he couldn't cut it to the specifications. With tax it cost me $11.99. I was able to get him to give me an extra copy... I smiled nicely lol

The notes for the passport specifically states not to trim photographs to meet the 45mm x 35mm specs.

I'm mailing it on Thursday, so we'll see if it comes back..just nervous about the Christmas postal rush..still wondering if I should wait until the new year
Old Dec 14th 2011, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Brigette
Yes! I had mine taken at Walgreens today and that is exactly what they did. He asked me which country, I told him and he scrolled to the country to get the specifications. He did not cut the pictures (and I didn't think he would) because he said he couldn't cut it to the specifications. With tax it cost me $11.99. I was able to get him to give me an extra copy... I smiled nicely lol

The notes for the passport specifically states not to trim photographs to meet the 45mm x 35mm specs.

I'm mailing it on Thursday, so we'll see if it comes back..just nervous about the Christmas postal rush..still wondering if I should wait until the new year
Thanks very much for this Brigette!

We will be sending ours off (for 5 of us) in a couple of weeks ~ really need them back by early Feb ...
Old Dec 14th 2011, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Thanks very much for this Brigette!

We will be sending ours off (for 5 of us) in a couple of weeks ~ really need them back by early Feb ...
You're welcome! Hope everything goes smoothly. I'm still debating with myself if I should wait until after the holidays to send mine...
Old Dec 15th 2011, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
With tax it cost me $11.99. I was able to get him to give me an extra copy... I smiled nicely lol
Hope you didn't smile when they were actually taking the picture ...
Old Dec 15th 2011, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

smcfarland is an unknown quantity at this point

I just went and got my pictures taken at Walgreens and had them use the UK specifications to print them. They don't cut the pictures themselves, and since the photos are exactly the right size (35mm by 45mm) I'm not sure if I should leave a white border around the pictures, or trim them to specifications. I was thinking about just cutting the paper they gave me in two and leaving all the white border.

Has anyone ever had photos rejected because they didn't trim them before sending them in?
Old Dec 16th 2011, 2:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

You're told not to cut them to size...so errrr....don't cut them, send the whole sheet in.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by md95065
Hope you didn't smile when they were actually taking the picture ...
No, I didn't. I smiled before and after

Does anyone know the answer to this question. I believe I need a countersignatory. However on the form it says the person must be a UK citizen that I've known for 2 yrs and asks for a passport # of the countersignatory.

Is there any way around this? I searched for the info but could not find it. If I don't know a UK citizen to sign it how can I get my passport

The only reason I believe I need one (a countersignatory) is because my picture look a "little" different but you can still tell that it is me, but I do not want to take any chances. I'm not applying for a new passport (even though my old passport has been expired for 9 yrs...I'm still under the 10 yr window) but I thought it would be best to get the pictures signed as a precaution
Old Dec 16th 2011, 6:38 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I did all my own photos - on an inkjet... never had any issues.
I had a passport renewed while living in the US, back then it was Kinko's that did it (this was before decent home printers). I just cannot believe to this day the embassy accepted it, it's so over exposed I look albino on it, you can barely make me out in the photo.

Nowadays they're probably a bit stricter. I hope.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Had mine done at walgreens got the passport back no problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.