Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Snowing in Mississippi

Snowing in Mississippi

Old Jan 19th 2008, 2:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Snowing in Mississippi

My daughter just called and said it is snowing heavily in Hattiesburg, MS where they live. The already have 1/2 to 1 inch on the ground and it is suppose to snow all day.

The cable is out so no internet but when she is up and running will send pix and I will post for the non-believers.

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/a....dll/frontpage

There is a picture on the front page of the local newspaper.

Last edited by Rete; Jan 19th 2008 at 2:18 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 3:04 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snowing in Mississippi

Thats exciting I love the snow, apprantely a few years back snow fell here in Modesto CA

I have to drive to Reno on Monday which meens going through the Sierra's/lake tahoe area that is magical in the snow,just hope the bypass is clear for me to get through
Old Jan 19th 2008, 3:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Thats exciting I love the snow, apprantely a few years back snow fell here in Modesto CA

I have to drive to Reno on Monday which meens going through the Sierra's/lake tahoe area that is magical in the snow,just hope the bypass is clear for me to get through

Hope it is, as well. Daughter lived in Lake Tahoe one winter and I remember her telling me all about the snow up there.

She's excited with the snow in MS as they just returned from New York after visiting us and had a snow storm while here. Told her she brought it down there with her on JetBlue.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 4:39 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i saw a similar news item on the bbc news site in the last week about snow falling in iraq for this first time in living memory.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 1:43 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

We have an ice ice advisory for not too much west of here and I see an ice and snow line up to the north.

Power just came back on after being off for two hours, I was just dozing off.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 5:18 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by MsElui
i saw a similar news item on the bbc news site in the last week about snow falling in iraq for this first time in living memory.
That global warming lark sure gets around.......
Old Jan 20th 2008, 12:23 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
We have an ice ice advisory for not too much west of here and I see an ice and snow line up to the north.

Power just came back on after being off for two hours, I was just dozing off.
We got a half inch flurry yesterday as well...lasted only an hour on the ground though.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 12:36 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
We got a half inch flurry yesterday as well...lasted only an hour on the ground though.
That's what my son said when he called yesterday afternoon on his way into work. Meanwhile it was pouring buckets here.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 12:46 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

That's what my son said when he called yesterday afternoon on his way into work. Meanwhile it was pouring buckets here.
We had 15 'no-shows' at work yesterday due to the predicted "blizzard"...most lived within 10 miles. Meanwhile two others made it 75 miles in, and a few others 30-40. All day Friday all The Alabamastanis seemed quite traumatized by the coming storm. When I told them that up north it is quite normal to go to work in 6-8" of fresh snow, and that I have made it to work following 17" they look at you dumbfounded.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 12:55 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by ironporer
We had 15 'no-shows' at work yesterday due to the predicted "blizzard"...most lived within 10 miles. Meanwhile two others made it 75 miles in, and a few others 30-40. All day Friday all The Alabamastanis seemed quite traumatized by the coming storm. When I told them that up north it is quite normal to go to work in 6-8" of fresh snow, and that I have made it to work following 17" they look at you dumbfounded.
There had been talk earlier in the week that we might actually get some of it here, which with the amount of rain, had it been a few degrees colder, we would have had a problem.

I grew up in it, but I'm here to tell you if we had gotten any there is no way I would go out amongst people who have never driven in it.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 1:05 pm
Concierge

There had been talk earlier in the week that we might actually get some of it here, which with the amount of rain, had it been a few degrees colder, we would have had a problem.

I grew up in it, but I'm here to tell you if we had gotten any there is no way I would go out amongst people who have never driven in it.
Since your state is desparate for water, glad that you have finally getting some to fill your depleted waterways.

I know that daughter's hubby had to drive to Meridian from Hattiesburg (1 hour drive) in the snow yesterday to work at their place of business and at last count there were 59 accidents (thankfully he was not one of them). Hard part for them was the anticipated 20 and below temps forecast for the evening.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 1:58 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

My buddy in Alabama told me that it was snowing there yesterday. Apparently for the first time in 23 years. Not sure how accurate that is but still, pretty mad!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 2:51 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I talked that up its coming down in buckets the snow in the Sierra's trip cancelled again, funny thing is I checked yesterday online and there was clear sky's and no snow problems predicted until wednesday
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:36 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Rete
Since your state is desparate for water, glad that you have finally getting some to fill your depleted waterways.

I know that daughter's hubby had to drive to Meridian from Hattiesburg (1 hour drive) in the snow yesterday to work at their place of business and at last count there were 59 accidents (thankfully he was not one of them). Hard part for them was the anticipated 20 and below temps forecast for the evening.
The central and northern part of the state is where the REAL problems were this summer and fall-we got some rain (and when it rained it RAINED) the latter part of the summer and fall so not an emergency situation.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 2:20 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

Ever since arriving in MS on November 14th I'd been humming and harring on about the hot weather and how long it would be before I'd ever see snow again (the last time it snowed in this part of MS, in between Jackson and Meridian, was in 1998).

Saturday morning my new wife (whom I'd just married the day before) woke me up very excitedly to tell me it was snowing. I thought it must just be a small bit of sleet due to how cold it was, but got up and saw almost an inch of snow on the ground. The phone started to ring straight away from family members asking if we were up to see it. I saw it as a nice wedding present to get snow the day after we were married.

I've never seen people go so crazy about snow before in my life. My friend said to me that people would be talking about this day years down the line... "remember that day it snowed on the weekend back in 2008".

One odd thing that I noticed was my newphew, who is 3 and has never seen snow in his life, got straight out of the house and started to make snow balls and throw them at his sister. It just struck me as weird behaviour for someone who'd never had snow before.

It also freaked our outdoor cats out too.

Last edited by Knight; Jan 22nd 2008 at 2:23 am.