Snowed In

Old Dec 27th 2004, 12:52 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Snowed In

Any one else stuck after the snowstorm?

We had about 14" in the last 24 hours. Hubby's away and I can't get the car to move. I told him I needed snow tyres.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 12:54 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snowed In

Originally Posted by sibsie

We had about 14" in the last 24 hours. Hubby's away and I can't get the car to move. I told him I needed snow tyres.
you need to plough the driveway.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 12:57 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, time to get the shovel out. Can't drive over that lot.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 2:06 pm
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
you need to plough the driveway.

Yep, call the plough and buy some tires. Dumb and dangerous not to have snow tires at this time of year
Old Dec 27th 2004, 2:12 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Go back to bed... we will call you in March...
Old Dec 27th 2004, 2:19 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh bad luck sibsie. It snowed here too last night, but the ploughs have been this morning. I hate to admit it, but being a jolly Londoner I haven't a clue about snow tyres. What's the difference and should I have them? I'm so terrified of driving in the snow that I just don't go out but as I'm starting a new job next month that will no longer be an option. How do you drive in snow? I get so blinded and whited out, and the ridiculous road system over here doesn't help. There are no traffic islands so you can't see where the lanes should be, and the traffic lights are three miles beyond the actual spot where you need to stop. In England you have no doubts about where you need to stop because there's a flipping great island on either side of the lane and a stonking great traffic light right there. I hate driving over here.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Smaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Go back to bed... we will call you in March...
My upstate NY fiancee wishes to remind you all that March isn't much better with potholes the size of your tyres!
Old Dec 27th 2004, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
Oh bad luck sibsie. It snowed here too last night, but the ploughs have been this morning. I hate to admit it, but being a jolly Londoner I haven't a clue about snow tyres. What's the difference and should I have them? I'm so terrified of driving in the snow that I just don't go out but as I'm starting a new job next month that will no longer be an option. How do you drive in snow? I get so blinded and whited out, and the ridiculous road system over here doesn't help. There are no traffic islands so you can't see where the lanes should be, and the traffic lights are three miles beyond the actual spot where you need to stop. In England you have no doubts about where you need to stop because there's a flipping great island on either side of the lane and a stonking great traffic light right there. I hate driving over here.
Driving in snow is easy .. white lines and lanes dont matter, just stay to the right of the oncoming traffic. I've also found out what "Michigan stops" really are .... instead of stopping at the sign you slow down make sure the road is clear and slide on through !! it saves stop and trying to get traction when you start again. for the blinded and whited out bit you need sunglasses, up here in Michigan we get probably 1 month a year when we dont need to wear them. Good Luck !!

Ohh and Sibsie ....get ur shovel out, theres no way you can drive over or on 14inches of snow !!

Jan
Old Dec 27th 2004, 2:56 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

About 2 years ago, we got at least 2 feet of snow overnight. I couldn't go to work for two days.

Since we don't get much snow here in Virginia, most of us are not prepared to handle that much. I saw people outside after the snow storm who, lacking shovels, used dust pans to shovel the snow away from their cars so they could drive to work!!! :scared:
Old Dec 27th 2004, 3:11 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Russ&Jayne
Dumb and dangerous not to have snow tires at this time of year
where's your sense of adventure?
Old Dec 27th 2004, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

I dont have snow tyres (I have Cooper all weather tyres), neither do I have a 4x4 (my 94 Dodge grand caravan is still limiping along) and I still manage to get around very well through the winter. All that is required for snow driving is a little common sense, keep your revs low, drive slower than usual, brake early and slowly, keep a shovel, brush/ice scraper and blanket in your vehicle. This is my 4th winter in Northern Michigan (3rd living here) and I quickly decided that I couldnt let the weather stop me from going where I wanted.

Jan
Old Dec 27th 2004, 3:26 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
I dont have snow tyres (I have Cooper all weather tyres), neither do I have a 4x4 (my 94 Dodge grand caravan is still limiping along) and I still manage to get around very well through the winter. All that is required for snow driving is a little common sense, keep your revs low, drive slower than usual, brake early and slowly, keep a shovel, brush/ice scraper and blanket in your vehicle. This is my 4th winter in Northern Michigan (3rd living here) and I quickly decided that I couldnt let the weather stop me from going where I wanted.

Jan
ditto..
Old Dec 27th 2004, 3:31 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Aw bless you jan....what a trooper! You've given me a bit of reassurance there. I think I just have a bit of a mental block, because in London if it snowed you just took the tube, or the bus, or the day off! The only time I drove in snow I had an accident because when I hit my brakes the car just kept sliding forward and there was a plonker parked in the middle of the junction so I hit him. Ever since then I just get terrified with the thought of it. I did go out last week and drove like a pensioner but I think I just need to experience it more. I think I will go get snow tires though. It doesn't help that my car is white! I feel like a snowball on wheels. Everybody drives flipping great SUVs over here (now I know why!) and I feel like a Mini amongst a load of lorries.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 5:19 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm driving hubby's old Dodge Caravan. He's got the swanky new SUV. As I type he's in Antigua the git.

I did shovel the driveway but it was in my street where I got stuck. I just couldn't get any traction on the road at all. The ploughs had been through but turned it into an ice rink. Apparently my car has all weather tyres. I'm going to have to rethink the whole shovelling thing. I've got arthritis of the spine, three slipped discs and am having a spinal fusion next month, so it was agony trying to get the snow out of the way.

The good part of it is that I met one of my neighbours. She's off the boat Irish and a real hoot. We're going to call it a day, abandon all our plans and head to her house with a ton of booze.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 5:32 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I'm driving hubby's old Dodge Caravan. He's got the swanky new SUV. As I type he's in Antigua the git.

I did shovel the driveway but it was in my street where I got stuck. I just couldn't get any traction on the road at all. The ploughs had been through but turned it into an ice rink. Apparently my car has all weather tyres. I'm going to have to rethink the whole shovelling thing. I've got arthritis of the spine, three slipped discs and am having a spinal fusion next month, so it was agony trying to get the snow out of the way.

The good part of it is that I met one of my neighbours. She's off the boat Irish and a real hoot. We're going to call it a day, abandon all our plans and head to her house with a ton of booze.

Sounds like a plan.

Is that Dodge Caravan really old? If so, it might even have rear wheel drive, which is a horror in snow. No traction at all. A good tip with these, and any light vehicle, is to get some sand bags (the tube-shaped kind is best, they fit nicely) and stack them in the back over the rear wheels. It gives you a bit of weight and improves the traction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.