British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Snow gear -where to get it (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/snow-gear-where-get-906868/)

RollingStones Dec 14th 2017 12:50 pm

Snow gear -where to get it

Hello,

We've been looking at some pretty chilly temperatures here in Philly this week, and a bit of snow. So we're getting excited about snowy weather. In fact we're amusing the natives by how excited we all are.
However, we're going to need to gear up.

Can anyone give me some advise about that? How to do it economically? I'm wondering if there is a Decathlon or Sport Direct equivalent.

Thank you in advance. :thumbsup:

joto Dec 14th 2017 1:25 pm

Re: Snow gear -where to get it

Eddie Bauer, either stores or online. LL Bean, stores or online. You might be able to get % off coupons as well.

Nutmegger Dec 14th 2017 1:50 pm

Dick's Sporting Goods has branches all over the country, and there's a 50% off sale on outerwear:

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/

kateinbrooklyn Dec 14th 2017 2:31 pm

Check out Lands End online. They have a 50% off sale at the moment.

BenK91 Dec 14th 2017 2:39 pm

If you're looking to do it on a budget you can also find some good stuff in Army Surplus stores and thrift stores.

Patagonia stuff is also pretty good.

UKtoCT Dec 14th 2017 3:31 pm

we got our stuff from Columbia outlet stores, very good value

WEBlue Dec 14th 2017 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by BenK91 (Post 12399720)
If you're looking to do it on a budget you can also find some good stuff in Army Surplus stores and thrift stores.

Thrift stores & yard sales are where I have found some great clothing deals.... but you need to hit them regularly and off season to get decent clothes, IMO. Not always the best for immediate family outerwear needs, but definitely worth a look.

Discount "Lots" stores like Big Lots or Ocean State Job Lot are good, if you need winterwear quick and cheap. The quality isn't always great, so you have to take care, but these items can work for kids who'll grow out of them by next winter.

Burlington Coat Factory stores can have nice low prices too, if there's one near you.

Octang Frye Dec 14th 2017 5:05 pm

This is from my experience buying cold weather gear over 18 years in Colorado.

Patagonia (Patagucci) is de rigeur for hipsters and locals. Really good stuff.
It's a little pricey. Particular favorite is the Nano Pufff jacket. Windproof and light as hell. I will often ski in just this jacket.

Arcteryx is really good stuff but $$$.

Mountain Hardwear - I love it - but it's no longer made in the USA. It's China / Vietnam now and the quality has seen a tiny drop-off.

Columbia is good budget friendly stuff.

Gloves; made the mistake of buying $120-150 gloves from manufacturers like Black Diamond and Northface etc. Save money. Go and buy a pair of $20 Kinco insulated leather gloves and a $6 can of SnowSeal. Heat gloves in oven, slather on SnowSeal. You've not get really hard wearing, waterproof gloves that will last for ever. Learned this from the Ski Patrol.

Carrhart makes excellent workwear for outdoors. If you need overalls or a full snowsuit for working outside, snowmobiling etc. Very reasonable.

Boots: Sorel used to be the gold standard in boots. They would last years and looked great with classic styling (see the Caribou model in buff). But they got bought by Columbia and manufacture moved to China. The rubber delaminates and the boots are useless. Such a shame.

A Canadian/US made alternative is Kamik. Very good.

I made the mistake of thinking things have to be waterproof. They don't generally. Windproof is much better.
I have windproof jackets/softshells from Patagonia (the Nano Puff) and the windproof Alchemy softshell from Mountain Hardwear.

Look online at Moosejaw. In person at Dick's Sporting goods.

Rete Dec 14th 2017 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by WEBlue (Post 12399798)
Thrift stores & yard sales are where I have found some great clothing deals.... but you need to hit them regularly and off season to get decent clothes, IMO. Not always the best for immediate family outerwear needs, but definitely worth a look.

Discount "Lots" stores like Big Lots or Ocean State Job Lot are good, if you need winterwear quick and cheap. The quality isn't always great, so you have to take care, but these items can work for kids who'll grow out of them by next winter.

Burlington (Coat Factory) stores can have nice low prices too, if there's one near you.

:goodpost:

I agree with this. You are living in Philadelphia and not Colorado or one of the states where winter starts October 1 and ends in May with snow accumulations of 2 or more feet and windchills of minus digits. The days of heavy snow in your area and the cold will be sporadic and a warm winter coat/jacket, waterproof gloves for cleaning off cars and playing in the snow are good to have, along with a good winter hat and scarf. For the kids, since snow apparently is a novelty to them (guess you didn't get snow in the UK) get several pairs of gloves for each of them. Helps if they are duplicate pairs as a single glove goes missing like socks :rofl: into the nether lands. Good winter boots are a must. For adults be sure they have traction on the bottom for when it gets icy. Be sure to buy them a little bigger so that thick socks can be worn inside of them.

If your time spent is in driving to and from work, then be sure that you get outwear that is comfortable to wear while driving. If you are using public transportation, be sure that the jacket you purchase covers your hind quarters as it gets cold waiting for a bus or train out of doors. Been there for too many years to count going from the 'burbs to Manhattan 5 days a week.

Burlington Coat Factory has great buys and products as does some of the outlet malls in the Pennsylvania area. TJ Maxx isn't bad either. Find one in an upper class neighborhood as they stock them according to demographics.

PS If you are planning on going skiing in the Endless Mountains of PA or in the Poconos, then that is a horse of a different color. For that activity you will require skiing apparel.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 15th 2017 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12399841)
:goodpost:

I agree with this. You are living in Philadelphia and not Colorado or one of the states where winter starts October 1 and ends in May with snow accumulations of 2 or more feet and windchills of minus digits. The days of heavy snow in your area and the cold will be sporadic and a warm winter coat/jacket, waterproof gloves for cleaning off cars and playing in the snow are good to have, along with a good winter hat and scarf. For the kids, since snow apparently is a novelty to them (guess you didn't get snow in the UK) get several pairs of gloves for each of them. Helps if they are duplicate pairs as a single glove goes missing like socks :rofl: into the nether lands. Good winter boots are a must. For adults be sure they have traction on the bottom for when it gets icy. Be sure to buy them a little bigger so that thick socks can be worn inside of them.

If your time spent is in driving to and from work, then be sure that you get outwear that is comfortable to wear while driving. If you are using public transportation, be sure that the jacket you purchase covers your hind quarters as it gets cold waiting for a bus or train out of doors. Been there for too many years to count going from the 'burbs to Manhattan 5 days a week.

Burlington Coat Factory has great buys and products as does some of the outlet malls in the Pennsylvania area. TJ Maxx isn't bad either. Find one in an upper class neighborhood as they stock them according to demographics.

PS If you are planning on going skiing in the Endless Mountains of PA or in the Poconos, then that is a horse of a different color. For that activity you will require skiing apparel.

We had our first snow in September, end of May had been the priot but not uncommon to get a dump in June, does not stick at that time of the year.

RollingStones Dec 15th 2017 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12399841)

Ah now. I haven't skied in forever, and my daughter ony started last year. My son hasn't yet and my husband refuses to go out in the snow (he has an artificial knee).
However, I very much hope that we will be able to plan a few snow/ski trips before going home. Especially since it's supposed to be cheaper and better here.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 15th 2017 12:35 am

I have a very heavy duty Columbia ski jacket, does not get much use as the sort of conditions it is designed for is not the sort of conditions I want to be out in.

Something muti purpose sounds a better idea.

Rete Dec 15th 2017 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12399975)
We had our first snow in September, end of May had been the priot but not uncommon to get a dump in June, does not stick at that time of the year.

Sounds like Alberta

Bob Dec 19th 2017 10:41 pm

Best place, LL Bean outlets.

Best invest in quality boots, the rest, not as important, just layer up. LL Bean boots, Sorel, Kamik Boots, are the one's we normally end up with. Clarks, really aren't bad either for around town stuff.

You can get a nice, thin puffer jacket with that reflective liner from Uniqlo for $50 that's as good as a $200 North Face etc.

Have a look in REI/EMS stores for winter sports stuff. North Face stuff usually ends up in the bargain stores like Marshalls and is good gear and they hav really nice outlet stores.

kimilseung Dec 19th 2017 10:58 pm

There seems a dearth of outdoor gear stores in my part of the US at least. Both Keswick and Ambleside have dozens for top and bottom budgets. The trail head towns here might have one store, usually none.
I'd say that Columbia is the best bet brand for cheaper decnet gear. I have also used "Second Ascent" a local second hand store. The run of the mill second hand stores are also good, but a bit hit and miss.