Snow

Old Feb 27th 2010, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Snow

Did we get some snow thursday and friday or what ? ..... we actually not we but them ! It seems that everywhere in NY state except our little town got hammered All we got was rain I set off down the NY thruway and soon met white crap and the stupid planks who think that because they are in an SUV they can fly past only to find them off the road standing looking helpless and serve them right
As I casually trudled down past Kingston and Poukeepsie a Ruan truck pulling a Target trailer sailed by doing about 60 mph and 10 miles down the road he was not just on the shoulder, not just in the median but about half a mile into a field still there next day as I came bake ..... thats one load that never made the shops
Poor Rete must have been shovelling because it took me 2 hours of digging in Yonkers just to get moving this morning then came back to ....... dry streets of home

Anyone else get stuck ?
Old Feb 27th 2010, 4:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snow

Got hammered for a couple hours, but with the rain before and after, it didn't stick.

Supposed to be getting it tomorrow though...pretty warm out too which helps.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky the worst of the storm missed us and we only got a 3 inch dusting I'm SO glad I didn't get the 6 inches they were originally forecasting for. And this is a week after I said that the other storm was the last one for the season
Old Feb 27th 2010, 2:05 pm
Taunton, Somerset to PA

mikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud of

We got about another 6" here.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

It was at least 2 feet in Yonkers by the time I pulled out, the roads were kept clear.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 3:36 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
It was at least 2 feet in Yonkers by the time I pulled out, the roads were kept clear.
We are 350 miles north of Yonkers ... we've had fairly warm weather for the last several days (30-40 degrees) and a few inches of heavy, wet snow and quite a bit of rain. We're starting to get a bit of water down cellar which means that the ground is starting to thaw out!
Thursday night, we had a power outage from 9:30 pm till 1:20 in the morning. Fortunately warm enough that the tropical fish were in no danger.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
We are 350 miles north of Yonkers ... we've had fairly warm weather for the last several days (30-40 degrees) and a few inches of heavy, wet snow and quite a bit of rain. We're starting to get a bit of water down cellar which means that the ground is starting to thaw out!
Thursday night, we had a power outage from 9:30 pm till 1:20 in the morning. Fortunately warm enough that the tropical fish were in no danger.
You must live near me then ?

Silly me ........ I think I remember us discussing that before and now I can recall where you live.

Last edited by Patrick Hasler; Feb 27th 2010 at 4:44 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 3:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Poor Rete must have been shovelling because it took me 2 hours of digging in Yonkers just to get moving this morning then came back to ....... dry streets of home

Anyone else get stuck ?
Yup, I shoveled out my parking space yesterday afternoon around 4 and today will have to help dig out the hubby who was parked on the street. Of course the a-h behind the plow chooses to plow the snow from the street against everyone's car so he is truly blocked in. The problem, which is relatively new btw, is that the lazy sob's in the neighborhood who are relatively younger (30-45) won't shovel their cars out. They wait for you to do yours and then when you leave the spot, they back into it and are free and clear. Wish I could find some day workers today to pay to come and dig the old man out. Gladly would slip them $20 for an hour's worth of shoveling.

Years ago everyone dug out their cars and helped dig out other people. There was a sense of community which we don't have today unfortunately.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 5:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
...The problem, which is relatively new btw, is that the lazy sob's in the neighborhood who are relatively younger (30-45) won't shovel their cars out. They wait for you to do yours and then when you leave the spot, they back into it and are free and clear....
Can't you stick a marker on your spot? That's something that's still allowed in Boston at least and poaching someone's ploughed spot does get you into a bit of trouble, not to mention the police tend to turn a blind eye if you smash their lights in, so people don't tend to do it so much around here
Old Feb 27th 2010, 5:19 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Can't you stick a marker on your spot? That's something that's still allowed in Boston at least and poaching someone's ploughed spot does get you into a bit of trouble, not to mention the police tend to turn a blind eye if you smash their lights in, so people don't tend to do it so much around here
Yeah well in Boston there's a blind eye turned to a lot of things... when we lived in Massachusetts I always made sure to cultivate good relations with police officers ... the downside was, I spent more time in the donut shop than I really wanted to..
Old Feb 27th 2010, 5:20 pm
Heading for Poppyland

You must live near me then ?

Silly me ........ I think I remember us discussing that before and now I can recall where you live.
Oh yes we're up here.. any further and we'd be in Santa's workshop.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 6:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I've seen homeowners doing that but I live on a block that is all high rise apartment buildings with limited paid for assigned parking so most people have to street park. I lucked in that when I went down earlier to start shoveling his truck out a young man was offering to do it for whatever I thought it was worth. He did a great job clearing out pass the driver's door and enough room in front to get out of the space and back in. So for the rest of the week until it melts off, DH and I will be ring around the parking space. I will take the space when he goes to work and I will walk down to the train station. He will pick me up at the train station since he is home before me and if I need to go out we will do the parking space dance again.