Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Snack lunch US style

Wikiposts

Snack lunch US style

Old Oct 28th 2008, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snack lunch US style

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
Well I was at work today with no lunch other than a peanut butter sandwich.
Feeling in need of a bit more I called at the supermarket (Longs) and had a look at the deli counter.
"Not had one of them before??? One Corndog please!"

What is that about? Can't say I'll be rushing back for another one. The corn was really claggy and the sausage was way salty. :-s

I had heard of them before but rather wish I hadn't tried one. Have I just had a particularly bad one or is that par for the course?

Anyone got suggestions for something a little nicer for next time?
I see you're in the SF Bay Area. Out of interest, where is the 'Longs Supermarket,' and Deli-counter. The only Longs I'm aware of is a drug store.
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take much imagination to find something a little more appetizing than a corn dog in the SF Bay Area.

http://www.chow.com/places/regions/1

http://www.chow.com/places/regions/1?filters[general_cuisine]=British

Last edited by surly; Oct 28th 2008 at 12:40 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

auntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by penguinsix
... fried Coke, .... Best to get them fresh, right after they are picked and not too green.
I had to google fried coke, as I have never heard of it before! Not sure it's something I would want to eat, but I have to hand it to Texas...they will fry anything!
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by surly
I see you're in the SF Bay Area. Out of interest, where is the 'Longs Supermarket,' and Deli-counter. The only Longs I'm aware of is a drug store.
This one was in Sonoma. Maybe it was Luckys? Work takes me from Cloverdale to Saratoga!
I know there is probably plenty of better options but when you have 10 minutes to grab something and you don't know the area what are you going to do?
I usually try to get a subway or bring my own.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Bitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really nice

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I'm I just thought it was strange that products containing no meat and intended for consumption by people who do not eat meat would be marketed as having properties of meat and be named in a meatlike manner.
There's nothing strange about it. Not all vegetarians are carrot crunching, pot smoking, tree huggers. I would say most vegetarians were meat eaters once and stopped when they learned about issues like factory farming. Being a vegetarian can be a very difficult choice to live with and giving up meat in practise can be hard to do. Yes these meat-alike products might smell like meat, yes they might look and taste like meat, but, wait for it..... big difference, it's NOT meat. No animal gave up it's life to be a filling in your sandwich.

Why don't you log onto you tube and watch "Meet your meat" and then tell me if you think it is so strange
Old Nov 1st 2008, 5:56 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bitzi
Why don't you log onto you tube and watch "Meet your meat" and then tell me if you think it is so strange
Although if ABY tried to "meet his meat" he might think you meant something else...
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 2:24 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
Any processed food is not that good for you, including vegetarian meat alikes. The stuff they put in processed food to extend shelf life and give "flavor" is crazy. There actually have entire journals dedicated to them. I'm not completely whole foods/fresh/organic, but I try to purchase what I can (including meat) with the least amount of processing and preservatives.. I just can't stomach some of it though (whole grain pasta is nasty).
It's going on in those NJ laboratories....
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:32 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bitzi
There's nothing strange about it. Not all vegetarians are carrot crunching, pot smoking, tree huggers. I would say most vegetarians were meat eaters once and stopped when they learned about issues like factory farming. Being a vegetarian can be a very difficult choice to live with and giving up meat in practise can be hard to do. Yes these meat-alike products might smell like meat, yes they might look and taste like meat, but, wait for it..... big difference, it's NOT meat. No animal gave up it's life to be a filling in your sandwich.

If factory meat was my only option I'd probably be a vegetarian too.

I don't think my point came across too well in my original post, let me see if I can try again, although it's early and it's Monday so I make no guarantees. If I wanted meat, I would eat meat. If I did not want meat, I would not enjoy eating vegetables shaped and flavored like meat. I would think it would be a poor substitute. I would rather eat vegetables that looked and tasted like vegetables.

Last edited by another bloody yank; Nov 3rd 2008 at 12:09 am.