Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Snack lunch US style

Wikiposts

Snack lunch US style

Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:22 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snack lunch US style

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Morning star meat free corn dogs are fun and taste...of something.

I still say, make a batch of pasties. They last a week in't fridge if you don't eat them.

What the hell is a meat free corn dog? A tube made of batter on a stick?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:24 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

It might as well be...

Just a fake hot dog really in that corn thing.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:34 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

It might as well be...

*Shudder* Why do vegetarians go to great lengths to make stuff that is not meat into the shape of meat and call it by meat names? Are they trying to trick themselves into thinking it's something that tastes good?

My wife has a vegan friend that used to bring his own curd burgers to our BBQs. He'd choke it down with a side dish of some sort of paste and a big brimming bottle of water with a label stating that no fish had come to harm when the water was harvested by workers who were themselves made entirely of certified 100% Organic material.

He also had some kind of rock he used to rub on his armpits in the belief that this rock had special powers that performed the same duties as deoderant.

He moved to Portland and is very happy.

Last edited by another bloody yank; Oct 28th 2008 at 2:37 am.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:08 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
*Shudder* Why do vegetarians go to great lengths to make stuff that is not meat into the shape of meat and call it by meat names? Are they trying to trick themselves into thinking it's something that tastes good?
I hesitate to mention this... the Trader Joe's Vegetarian Corn Dogs are actually tasty. My kids love them. They're pretty good for you as well, 160 calories and 65% less fat (a regular corn dog pushes 500 calories) and no nitrates. If it's something my kids will eat that's full of low-fat protein, can be made in about 30 seconds by throwing it in the microwave and doesn't cost much, I'm all for it.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:08 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

He moved to Portland and is very happy.
I knew it was coming....

Those crystal things work. Sometimes.
The trick is knowing just when that will be...
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:14 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Some people dont like to feel left out, and I don't have a problem serving fake links with real sausage links at breakfast time.

I'll try any veggie product, i don't care what it looks like, or what it's called, most are better for you than actual meat.

We don't go out of our way to get veggie products that are so much like meat some vegetarians feel ill eating them Like BOCA burgers.

Can't fake a good bit of middle back bacon though. Fake bacon is rank.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:18 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Some people dont like to feel left out, and I don't have a problem serving fake links with real sausage links at breakfast time.

I'll try any veggie product, i don't care what it looks like, or what it's called, most are better for you than actual meat.

We don't go out of our way to get veggie products that are so much like meat some vegetarians feel ill eating them Like BOCA burgers.

Try the Gardenburger(tm). It comes in the freezer section; originals are my fav.
They don't taste like they're trying to be meat, they're just good. (toaster = best prep)
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:23 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you on this. If you're going to be vegetarian, then eat a carrot that tastes like a carrot. Not some weird concoction of stuff that tastes a bit like meat. If you want something that tastes like meat, eat some meat!
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:27 am

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I hesitate to mention this... the Trader Joe's Vegetarian Corn Dogs are actually tasty. My kids love them. They're pretty good for you as well, 160 calories and 65% less fat (a regular corn dog pushes 500 calories) and no nitrates. If it's something my kids will eat that's full of low-fat protein, can be made in about 30 seconds by throwing it in the microwave and doesn't cost much, I'm all for it.
I have to agree. The kids love them. Not so bad really
They make a great medium for hot sauce.

Originally Posted by meauxna
Try the Gardenburger(tm). It comes in the freezer section; originals are my fav.
They don't taste like they're trying to be meat, they're just good. (toaster = best prep)

All in all I don’t think they are trying to make it taste like meat. It’s more about something with texture. Plain veggies can get boring after a while.
Oh and bacon…..just eat the real thing.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's a gross guilty pleasure, though usually at a fair sort of thing...but still pretty minging
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

the green packet, morning star I think it's called, that's half decent for a fake bacon snack and the sausages aren't bad either, better than a lot of the cheapo meat products.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:43 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

It might as well be...

That, sir, is not a corn dog.

It's a Quorn dog.

I'll get me coat.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
That, sir, is not a corn dog.

It's a Quorn dog.

I'll get me coat.
Shit on a stick
Old Oct 28th 2008, 6:04 am

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Janek66
Shit on a stick
Fried shite on a stick thanks muchly
Old Oct 28th 2008, 6:11 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
Well I was at work today with no lunch other than a peanut butter sandwich.
Feeling in need of a bit more I called at the supermarket (Longs) and had a look at the deli counter.
"Not had one of them before??? One Corndog please!"

What is that about? Can't say I'll be rushing back for another one. The corn was really claggy and the sausage was way salty. :-s

I had heard of them before but rather wish I hadn't tried one. Have I just had a particularly bad one or is that par for the course?

Anyone got suggestions for something a little nicer for next time?
They are nasty excuses for food. I used to be a food scientist at a major food company (in their meat processing plant....hot dogs, lunch meats, sausage, etc.) and you don't want to eat them. If you like the idea of meat on a stick covered in pastry, make your own for best results (make sure you use "gourmet" hot dogs too, Omaha Steaks has good ones).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.