Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

smart lady or cheap bitch?

Wikiposts

smart lady or cheap bitch?

Old Aug 28th 2004, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default smart lady or cheap bitch?

My friend decided to re-do her kitchen. She went thru Home Depot to get a new sink and countertop. HD contract out a lot of this work and someone came over to measure up for what she wanted. When the countertop arrived it was wrong, they had cut the opening for the taps wrong, so they took it back. After a few weeks went by she phoned HD and asked why it was taking so long to get the countertop replaced. HD told her the contractor had gone bankrupt, so she cancelled the order. A few weeks later she got a call from another contractor saying her sink was ready. She told them she had cancelled the order but could she come to some arrangement with them to work out a deal. The contractor said no, they did not deal directly with the public. Not to be outdone she went along to their warehouse the following weekend. The warehouse doors were open so she just wandered in. A guy asked her if he could help her, she said she was looking to buy a countertop and sink unit. He said they did not deal with the public. She said, "then do you have anything out back that you are not going to use that I could maybe look at". He said ok, they could go back there and take a look. She spied her countertop and sink sitting in the corner. She gave the guy the measurements she was looking for and said "that one over there looks to be about the right size". He measured it up and said, "yep, that should fit, that actually came from a job that fell thru". She asked him for a deal on it, he told her he would sell it to her for $75, she took it home with her.

Now this was the countertop she originally ordered. The cost when she ordered it was going to be $475, the cost for having balls enough to call their bluff, $75. Gotta love it.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: smart lady or cheap bitch?

I'd say cheap bitch, considering the counter top was only costing $475 in the first place. Thats damn cheap, unless of course the counter top was just a square foot space. lol

Speaking of cheap. We were in Arizona tile a few weeks back and were looking at marble or granite tiles to do our counter tops. We found one we like for about $8 dollars per 18x18 tile. My wife asked for a sample so we could take it home and see if it matched the kitchen. Well the lady brings out the whole 18x18 tile and says they are out of small samples. I joked to my wife that we should come back every week for a "sample" In less than a month, we'd have enough free tile to finish the counter tops. lol
Old Aug 28th 2004, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say she's got her head screwed on.. and anyone who doesn't agree... is somehow deluded.. I mean.. saving $400 is ALWAYS GOOD. Isn't it?
Old Aug 29th 2004, 11:54 am
Just Joined

manxcat is on a distinguished road

I'd say she's a very smart lady, dealing with conractors can be a veritable nightmare, I had a kitchen Co. re-do my old kitchen, I ordered granite for my counter tops, the whole experience was mind numbing, when they finally finished (way passed the time they promised ) I noticed (sitting down) that the counter top was slightly higher at one end, not noticeable when standing..
If it had been a pleasant experience as I had imagined I would have let it pass, it was barely noticable., but because of the unprofessional/uncaring way they had handled the job I called them back, I told them to fix it or take it back, they could do neither.......to cut a long story short I got a $2,700-
granite counter top for free....cheers
Old Aug 30th 2004, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by manxcat
I'd say she's a very smart lady, dealing with conractors can be a veritable nightmare, I had a kitchen Co. re-do my old kitchen, I ordered granite for my counter tops, the whole experience was mind numbing, when they finally finished (way passed the time they promised ) I noticed (sitting down) that the counter top was slightly higher at one end, not noticeable when standing..
If it had been a pleasant experience as I had imagined I would have let it pass, it was barely noticable., but because of the unprofessional/uncaring way they had handled the job I called them back, I told them to fix it or take it back, they could do neither.......to cut a long story short I got a $2,700-
granite counter top for free....cheers
Don't you just love it when this kind of thing happens, it is definately worth complaining sometimes. I had to applaud my friend for having the sheer gall to do what she did, mind you she is very aggressive and rarely takes no for an answer.
Old Aug 30th 2004, 7:41 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by effi
Don't you just love it when this kind of thing happens, it is definately worth complaining sometimes. I had to applaud my friend for having the sheer gall to do what she did, mind you she is very aggressive and rarely takes no for an answer.
For me, it's a natural reaction to the aggressiveness of US corporations. Do unto them as they do unto you. I used to be meek and mild till I came here…