British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Smart Car coming to the US next year (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/smart-car-coming-us-next-year-425226/)

another bloody yank Feb 9th 2007 2:29 pm

Smart Car coming to the US next year

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...cross-the-pond

11 grand for a car that would fit in a refrigerator box and still only gets 40 miles to the gallon? Not for me. I can get the same milage in a much more comfortable car for nearly the same money. If they could price it in the 8-9000.00 range I would consider it just to drive to work as my commute is about 160 miles a day.

penguinsix Feb 9th 2007 2:33 pm

Re: Smart Car coming to the US next year

I want to see the crash test video before I buy one. Smart Car vs. SUV. Then I'll consider it.

another bloody yank Feb 9th 2007 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 4381734)
I want to see the crash test video before I buy one. Smart Car vs. SUV. Then I'll consider it.

Maybe they could make the body panels of rubber so the car would just bounce away in the event of a crash?

britvic Feb 9th 2007 2:46 pm

Do you know I saw one of them on the Navy base in Norfolk Sunday, my eyes nearly popped out of my head, it had some sort of badge on it and markings rather like a British ambulance, must of been for a Nurse or Doctor.

Rete Feb 9th 2007 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 4381734)

Not to worry. The SUV will just ride over it.

AdobePinon Feb 9th 2007 3:11 pm

Seen a couple round here (assume you must be able to get them in Canada). But you're right - doesn't get nearly good enough fuel economy to be worth considering. Don't see it doing well here.

Duncan Roberts Feb 9th 2007 3:49 pm

Seems like a faux pas on the pricing. $15,000 for a convertible? $13,000 for the model that has decent options. They're having a laugh.

Bob Feb 9th 2007 4:45 pm

They've been talking about them hitting the street en masse for the last couple of years now...

I think they make a great second car for inner city driving, would be ace getting around Boston in one of those things :)

Sarah Feb 10th 2007 2:29 am

Not bad if you live in a city, zip zip zip.

Dogbyte Feb 10th 2007 10:55 am

Watch out in strong winds they have a tendancy to roll over.Great around town. Two versions in the UK, the sit up and beg and the sports.The sports looks quite neat,a little small like the old frog eyed Sprite.And they go quite a bit aswell.Not worth the price really, its only because they are Mercedes.:)

suzanne7575 Feb 10th 2007 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Dogbyte (Post 4386496)
Watch out in strong winds they have a tendancy to roll over.Great around town. Two versions in the UK, the sit up and beg and the sports.The sports looks quite neat,a little small like the old frog eyed Sprite.And they go quite a bit aswell.Not worth the price really, its only because they are Mercedes.:)

I'm sorry but i just don't think I would feel safe on the roads in the US in one of these. When we were over last year we hired a compact for a few days and although it was bigger than our corrolla back home we felt ant like compared to all the SUV's, people carriers, and hummers!!!!!

Tarkak9 Feb 10th 2007 5:23 pm

sod a smart car, lets have smart drivers..... or is that going to be left as an option if you are to buy a smart car?

sambuc Feb 10th 2007 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Tarkak9 (Post 4387376)
sod a smart car, lets have smart drivers..... or is that going to be left as an option if you are to buy a smart car?

:rofl: - I like that.

They have them for sale already in a dealership in Phoenix.

Couldn't believe my eyes.

Not sure I would feel too safe in one:eek:

Rushman Feb 10th 2007 8:50 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Shove your Smart cars...I'm thinking of importing an old mini pick up truck in from England later this year, just for the novelty.

Tarkak9 Feb 10th 2007 9:03 pm

1 Attachment(s)
So what happens if you get a divorce, are you left with this?