Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Small Inheritance - Tax Liability?

Small Inheritance - Tax Liability?

Old Feb 14th 2019, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Small Inheritance - Tax Liability?

As many of you know, I lost both of my parents last year, Dad at the end of January and Mum in September. Well, I got a small inheritance from my Dad (half of his 50% of the home they lived in) to the amount of a little under $40,000.

This was transferred from the UK by the solicitor to my bank account and it showed up today. My question is, will IRS have ant interest in the for of tax or, as it's an inheritance, is there no tax liability?

We intend to save as much as possible and convert some of it into IRAs, but would like to know so that come next April, when it's all been 'dispersed', there are no nasty surprises!

We've always been relatively poor. Not paycheck to paycheck, but not well planned for the future, so I'd love to hang on to as much of it as possible and for as long as possible!
Old Feb 14th 2019, 1:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Small Inheritance - Tax Liability?

I had a more substantial inheritance from my aunt in Germany several years ago and no, IRS was not interested in the amount. Did not have to list it on tax forms. Only interested earned on those funds during the tax year was taxable.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 1:53 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
As many of you know, I lost both of my parents last year, Dad at the end of January and Mum in September. Well, I got a small inheritance from my Dad (half of his 50% of the home they lived in) to the amount of a little under $40,000.

This was transferred from the UK by the solicitor to my bank account and it showed up today. My question is, will IRS have ant interest in the for of tax or, as it's an inheritance, is there no tax liability?

We intend to save as much as possible and convert some of it into IRAs, but would like to know so that come next April, when it's all been 'dispersed', there are no nasty surprises!

We've always been relatively poor. Not paycheck to paycheck, but not well planned for the future, so I'd love to hang on to as much of it as possible and for as long as possible!
If you do a search you will find a number of threads on the topic of inheritances, including the form to file with your US taxes, the 3520. (Don't worry, it is purely informational, no taxes will be levied! And it may be only necessary for larger amounts, I can't quite recall.) However, you are liable for tax on any interest accrued on the inheritance during the administration period. I received a UK Revenue form R185 from the Executor, and was advised by him (an accountant) that the form showed my percentage of the net income during the administration period and the tax already deducted therefrom. He told me the total gross figure that I needed to declare on my US tax return and the amount of UK tax that had already been paid thereon that I also needed to indicate. I was to convert both figures into USD and he suggested that I use the exchange rate on the date on which the legacy funds were transferred to me.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Your good to go.
No liability.
I believe you don't even need to report it.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Cool, thanks all.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 2:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It depends potentially on the state where you live, a few levy a tax on inheritances, even though, as you have been advised above, the IRS does not. I don't think that GA (you're in GA, right? ) levies a tax on estates, but you should check.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It depends potentially on the state where you live, a few levy a tax on inheritances, even though, as you have been advised above, the IRS does not. I don't think that GA (you're in GA, right? ) levies a tax on estates, but you should check.
No GA state inheritance tax since 2014.

https://dor.georgia.gov/estate-tax-f...ed_links-486-0
Old Feb 14th 2019, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

States' estate and inheritance taxes.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/taxe...ritance-taxes/
Old Feb 14th 2019, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, I'm in Georgia and this is great news.

Interestingly, my SO was talking to a co-worker about this and she said 'Oh, when Gary got an inheritance, he said it was his money and spent it on stuff for himself'! Whilst I guess I could have done that, it was never a question as all our money has always been 'communal' an we both can use it.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 3:18 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Interestingly, my SO was talking to a co-worker about this and she said 'Oh, when Gary got an inheritance, he said it was his money and spent it on stuff for himself'! Whilst I guess I could have done that, it was never a question as all our money has always been 'communal' an we both can use it.
Gary might find he needs to sell some of the stuff he bought for himself to fund the divorce settlement
Old Feb 14th 2019, 3:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

…. Interestingly, my SO was talking to a co-worker about this and she said 'Oh, when Gary got an inheritance, he said it was his money and spent it on stuff for himself'! ....
Well it must certainly have made for an "interesting" marital relationship!
Old Feb 14th 2019, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

If you live in a community property state, legally speaking at least, an inheritance is considered the separate property of the inheritor.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
If you live in a community property state, legally speaking at least, an inheritance is considered the separate property of the inheritor.
But surely it would become a marital asset, to be split in the event of a divorce, the moment it hit a bank account?
Old Feb 14th 2019, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But surely it would become a marital asset, to be split in the event of a divorce, the moment it hit a bank account?
Not if you don't commingle it with community assets (i.e you have a bank account in your own name which many couples do) or you can trace the origin of the separate property funds. Additionally, some "high net worth" couples will address future inheritances in a pre-nup to spell out that they get treated as separate property, often so that something of value to a family can get passed down to heirs with no risk of division.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Feb 14th 2019 at 4:14 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Almost all of the money I received from my father's estate went to pay off the credit card debt I'd racked up flying over to the UK every few weeks during his final months!

We have only just finished spending the frequent flyer miles I racked up then though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.