Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Slowly starting to Americanize my speech

Slowly starting to Americanize my speech

Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:04 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Slowly starting to Americanize my speech

Except that practice/practise are pronounced the same, while advice/advise are pronounced differently, so the American spellings serve the same purpose in both cases - to clarify the pronunciation.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by Pulaski
In English, "c" is for the noun, "s" is for the verb, and is the same for practice/practise.

Confusingly American English agrees with English when it comes to the same noun/verb distinction for advice/advise.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Except that practice/practise are pronounced the same, while advice/advise are pronounced differently, so the American spellings serve the same purpose in both cases - to clarify the pronunciation. ....
Nice try, but if the Americans wanted to clarify pronunciation it would be "advize".

In truth, rationalizing and standardizing English is an exercise in futility. The more you adjust spellings the more inconsistencies you introduce. English has taken over a thousand years to evolve into what it is today from a base of Anglo Saxon overlaid with many layers of latin, Greek, and French influences, and other words adopted willy nilly from just about every language in Europe and most others from around the world, a process that continues to this day. It is one of the main reasons it is so popular, and unlike the French, most English speakers don't get pissy about it. The last time I looked, French was only the twelfth most widely spoken language in the world, and is virtually finished as a language used in science. It is headed the same way for business and diplomacy.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 20th 2013 at 4:19 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:08 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

The American '-er' spelling was explained in a link provided by an early poster. It seems that Daniel Webster promoted consistency of spelling for the various forms of a word.

Most often it's a pretentious use.

Regards, JEff
JEff, my post was a further comment on the post to which you refer. My point was, Webster may have sought consistency, since his day consistency has slipped away.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:10 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
JEff, my post was a further comment on the post to which you refer. My point was, Webster may have sought consistency, since his day consistency has slipped away.
Ah, since when has the English language been consistent about anything anyway?

That's part of its charm
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Except that practice/practise are pronounced the same, while advice/advise are pronounced differently, so the American spellings serve the same purpose in both cases - to clarify the pronunciation.

Regards, JEff
I've read this a few times but still don't understand it.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:15 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

And what's with Americans who pronounce PRIMER as if it were spelled "primmer?" I'm pretty sure they don't pronounce the paint as "primmer" even though it is essentially the same word with an analogous meaning.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:16 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

What about Premier as 'Pre-meer'

Drives me batty.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:19 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant

Drives me batty.
I console myself with the fact that if I hear that said that way in the context of the Premier League - at least I'm able to watch coverage of the Premier League on TV
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

A neighbour was talking about somewhere being af-FLU-ent, I thought she was just thick, but then I heard that pronunciation used on a TV programme.

I think maybe American pronunciation is still in flux, you can sort of please yourself.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:25 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Both of these are foreign to me, as have been some of the other Americanisms pointed out in this thread. (pun intended)

I think that there are regional differences in American English, both in pronunciation and choice of words (though not in spelling), that are as significant as the differences between generic American English and British English. Perhaps the same applies in the UK?

Regards, JEff
And what's with Americans who pronounce PRIMER as if it were spelled "primmer?"
Originally Posted by civilservant
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:27 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

And what's with Americans who pronounce PRIMER as if it were spelled "primmer?" I'm pretty sure they don't pronounce the paint as "primmer" even though it is essentially the same word with an analogous meaning.
Try hearing them pronounce the word 'twat'. It's hilarious.

(They pronounce it 'TWORTT')
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:42 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Try hearing them pronounce the word 'twat'. It's hilarious.

(They pronounce it 'TWORTT')
That's a new one! I have heard it said with a longer 'a' sound, like 'twaaht', though. Also they do say c*nt slightly strangely. I think Brits are just better at swearing in general.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
A neighbour was talking about somewhere being af-FLU-ent, I thought she was just thick, .....
Mrs P's pronunciation loses the initial "a" almost completely, and elongates the "u", to make aFFLOO-ent. It drives me nuts.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't care how Americans spell or pronounce stuff to be honest (even though I find random words pronounced totally different to the word we're used to - sometimes the vowel is emphasized, sometimes it's not). The one word that really drives me insane, and I mean irrationally so, is when it is called St Patty's day over here! I believe it's more an east coast thing as it's called Paddy's or Patrick's day here. Where the hell did Patty come from? Patty is not short for Patrick!!!
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:54 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I console myself with the fact that if I hear that said that way in the context of the Premier League - at least I'm able to watch coverage of the Premier League on TV
I'd rather watch the football on a dodgy stream of Sky Sports than listen to American commentary!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.