Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Slowly starting to Americanize my speech

Slowly starting to Americanize my speech

Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:32 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Slowly starting to Americanize my speech

I refuse to conform to northern pronunciations of tomato or grass etc. I still get confused looks from some yanks when I pronounce the word the Oxford English way. Annoys the hell out of me. Just how stupid are they?
Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

Recently at work I mentioned that I must be losing my accent as everyone seems to understand me now. It was met with much amusement. Apparently it's them who have gotten used to me.

I do now say 'across the street', 'pro-cess', 'zee', 'gas' and a few others. I'm not really aware. It's just kinda happening. Even an inappropriate 'like' crept in the other day which I hate!

It'll be interesting to see what my friends in England make of it at Christmas.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Beat you to it, mate.
I saw yours, but I cited a current independent source!
Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:40 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say is, switching between British and American English is relatively straightforward but Canadian English is a true PITA. Some American spelling have become popular but other than that it's similar to British English, but Canadians often use American words.

So you park at the curb and take the railway to buy your tires.

The most common ones that cause confusion are the American words that end in "er" like: "center", because American businesses often use the American spelling (but some don't, like the "Home Depot Home Improvement Centre").

Also another common one is "licence", I have a driver's "licence" but people often spell it "license". But "licensed" and "licensing" is the correct spelling apparently, not "licenced" or "licencing".

Someone told me at Heritage Park they thought "sidewalk" actually became popularized in Canada, not sure how, it was an English word that made more sense in Canada where paving was rare was the theory. Because there were lots of wooden buildings with wooden sidewalks made of planks along the front. So you had the sidewalk, the horse road and the pavement where it was paved.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:41 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dek
It'll be interesting to see what my friends in England make of it at Christmas.
Most likely you'll slip back into "English". I find when I'm there my accent changes, I hate it because it causes me a sore throat, I assume because it takes more effort.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:41 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I saw yours, but I cited a current independent source!
That was another classic Pulaski stealth edit, wasn't it?

Originally Posted by Steve_
All I can say is, switching between British and American English is relatively straightforward but Canadian English is a true PITA. Some American spelling have become popular but other than that it's similar to British English, but Canadians often use American words.

So you park at the curb and take the railway to buy your tires.

The most common ones that cause confusion are the American words that end in "er" like: "center", because American businesses often use the American spelling (but some don't, like the "Home Depot Home Improvement Centre").

Also another common one is "licence", I have a driver's "licence" but people often spell it "license". But "licensed" and "licensing" is the correct spelling apparently, not "licenced" or "licencing".

Someone told me at Heritage Park they thought "sidewalk" actually became popularized in Canada, not sure how, it was an English word that made more sense in Canada where paving was rare was the theory. Because there were lots of wooden buildings with wooden sidewalks made of planks along the front. So you had the sidewalk, the horse road and the pavement where it was paved.
Bloody colonials ...
Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That was another classic Pulaski stealth edit, wasn't it? ....
No, very unusually for me, that post was not edited after I posted it.

Go check, there is no "last edited" sub text.

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Or the extra point after a touchdown.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by hungryhorace
The only foot to ball that occurs in that game is either a punt or a field goal ...
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

-er words are confusing in the US too. Theater is supposedly spelled with -er at the end, unless it's a sophisticated or literary use, when it's spelled theatre. Then in New England and New York, maybe other parts of the US too, many towns are called "Something Center" or "Centre." Newton Centre, MA for instance.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:53 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Or the extra point after a touchdown.

Regards, JEff
That's a field goal (in all but name).
Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:53 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Then of course there's American prime rib ... Served "with au jus."
Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:54 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The American '-er' spelling was explained in a link provided by an early poster. It seems that Daniel Webster promoted consistency of spelling for the various forms of a word.
Originally Posted by robin1234
-er words are confusing in the US too. Theater is supposedly spelled with -er at the end, ...
Most often it's a pretentious use.
Originally Posted by robin1234
... unless it's a sophisticated or literary use, when it's spelled theatre.
Regards, JEff
Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:55 pm

.....Also another common one is "licence", I have a driver's "licence" but people often spell it "license". But "licensed" and "licensing" is the correct spelling apparently, not "licenced" or "licencing". ......
In English, "c" is for the noun, "s" is for the verb, and is the same for practice/practise.

Confusingly American English agrees with English when it comes to the same noun/verb distinction for advice/advise.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:56 pm

Not in value (which is why names are important).

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by hungryhorace
That's a field goal (in all but name).
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:01 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Not in value (which is why names are important).

Regards, JEff
That'd be why they call a 3-point shot in basketball a field goal, then

Regarding the hand oval vs football nomenclature, while vaguely annoying in that I can't talk about the beautiful game here without some confusion in the beginning - the foot/ball interaction is pretty much exactly the same as it is in rugby.

In fact, if the game was invented in the 1930s, I bet it would be called rugby, or some variation thereof.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.