Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Slowly starting to Americanize my speech

Slowly starting to Americanize my speech

Old Nov 30th 2013, 1:08 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Slowly starting to Americanize my speech

My original English accent has many influences from Irish, and I think it makes for me having less issues with the American accent than some other English accent speakers.

Do our peeps with island of Ireland origin share this?
Old Nov 30th 2013, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I have long suspected that the usage of English in the US and the UK reached its widest divergence early in the twentieth century, before the advent of the "talkie" films and later television. I think that timescale goes someway to explaining why many car-related words are different, because that was exactly the time that cars appeared and became relatively widespread.

Obviously the impact of mass media has grown steadily ever since with the rise of television and popular music in the 60's and cable television in the 80's and then the internet in the late 90's and into the 21st century, and everything I see suggests progressive convergence of the two largest divisions of English language usage.
Even the US southern accent has pretty much disappeared in the south. Other than Haley Barbour, I can't think of a politician with a southern accent. If I didn't know better, it would never cross my mind that Joe Scarborough, Trent Lott, Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter, and many others were from the south.

Even when southern local newscasters are on the national news because of an event, I don't hear the accent.

About the only way I sometimes recognize they may be from the south is the use of words such as "ya-ll".

Last edited by Michael; Nov 30th 2013 at 1:20 am.
Old Nov 30th 2013, 2:23 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Even the US southern accent has pretty much disappeared in the south.
I deal fairly often with Southerners, and I find that the accent remains distinctive compared to other regions of the country.

But in any case, all of us speak with some sort of accent, and accents change over time.
Old Nov 30th 2013, 2:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Even the US southern accent has pretty much disappeared in the south. Other than Haley Barbour, I can't think of a politician with a southern accent. If I didn't know better, it would never cross my mind that Joe Scarborough, Trent Lott, Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter, and many others were from the south.

Even when southern local newscasters are on the national news because of an event, I don't hear the accent.

About the only way I sometimes recognize they may be from the south is the use of words such as "ya-ll".
Please excuse me for pointing out that you are close to as far from "the south" as it possible to get in the contiguous 48 states, and therefore, I would contend that you are not, er, well positioned, to comment on the current extent of southern accents.

That said, perhaps you have just got used to hearing it more often, so it doesn't stand out quite the same way it used to?
Old Nov 30th 2013, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I deal fairly often with Southerners, and I find that the accent remains distinctive compared to other regions of the country.

But in any case, all of us speak with some sort of accent, and accents change over time.
Maybe you are right. When I was in the military, my best buddy was from Louisiana and although he didn't have a southern drawl, he had a certain character to his voice that wasn't fully northern. However if I didn't know he was from Louisiana, I would have a very difficult time determining which region he was from.
Old Nov 30th 2013, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Please excuse me for pointing out that you are close to as far from "the south" as it possible to get in the contiguous 48 states, and therefore, I would contend that you are not, er, well positioned, to comment on the current extent of southern accents.

That said, perhaps you have just got used to hearing it more often, so it doesn't stand out quite the same way it used to?
I admit that I've never lived in the deep south but have visited many southern states and maybe I just haven't run into very many people with the southern accent. However many southerners move north or west and if they had a southern accent, somehow it seems to magically disappear.

I guess I'm mostly referring to the southern drawl which seems to have become much less common.

Last edited by Michael; Nov 30th 2013 at 3:00 am.
Old Nov 30th 2013, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute

Ha, ha, we were my wife's parents for thanksgiving dinner yesterday (wife is a USC) we've been married nearly 20 years, and the unanimous opinion was that she has picked up a bit of a British accent and I have hardly any Americanisms!
Old Nov 30th 2013, 3:18 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul32x
Ha, ha, we were my wife's parents for thanksgiving dinner yesterday (wife is a USC) we've been married nearly 20 years, and the unanimous opinion was that she has picked up a bit of a British accent and I have hardly any Americanisms!
So your wife is capable of learning and adapting.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danoz
It is quite interesting how English is spoken differently in different parts of the world. I grew up in Aus, and our language is a strong hybrid of American and English. We use many of the words that Americans use, but pronounce and spelling is a bit of both.

What is interesting though, is if you go back to my Grandparents era (so post WW1 and Pre WW2),they are very English in how they speak, use words etc... and comes from the Heavy UK influence that had dominated the country up to that point in time. If you then go the baby boomers of post WW2, it is very heavily influenced by America as a result of the US influence that dominated the country post WW2
On a tangential note, a British officer who visited the States during the US Civil War (Col Arthur Fremantle), reported that all the Southern officers spoke exactly like English gentlemen (he said only the women had a hint of an American accent). Strange to think about, especially since all the Confederates in movies about the civil war have stereotypical southern accents.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 5:26 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul32x
But how would they know, they're American. Try having dinner with some British people like I did the other night.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 5:27 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HDWill
On a tangential note, a British officer who visited the States during the US Civil War (Col Arthur Fremantle), reported that all the Southern officers spoke exactly like English gentlemen (he said only the women had a hint of an American accent). Strange to think about, especially since all the Confederates in movies about the civil war have stereotypical southern accents.
Supposedly the southern accent was some sort of response to the Civil War, I saw it on a TV show so it must be true. People adapted to a different accent as a way of identifying themselves.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 5:31 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

I have long suspected that the usage of English in the US and the UK reached its widest divergence early in the twentieth century, before the advent of the "talkie" films and later television. I think that timescale goes someway to explaining why many car-related words are different, because that was exactly the time that cars appeared and became relatively widespread.
I think I mentioned it before, but apparently Americans pronounced "coupé" the British way until Cadillac came out with the "Coupé de Ville" which was too much of a mouthful so in their TV ads they used the current method of pronouncing it.

I don't think it is a case of "divergence", I think there have long been words getting swapped back and forth like "sandwich" but when movies came along it started to happen more often. Going way back when, all the way to colonization.