Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SlingBox - AWESOME technology

SlingBox - AWESOME technology

Old Jun 19th 2006, 5:18 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default SlingBox - AWESOME technology

Don't read on if you don't like technology

I brought a $199 Sling Box this weekend. Up and running to my cable TV box in 20 minutes. Whow, what a simple idea and it REALLY works.

I can watch and control my TV box from anywhere in the world. I am sitting at work watching great quality live soccer.

I can also watch and control it from my Verizon XV6700 phone.

To test it this morning, I was watching BBC News on BBC America all the way to work in my car (I didn't actually "WATCH" it the whole way, I was driving).

I have also just attached my XV6700 as a modem to my notebook PC and also proved I can watch great quality TV from anywhere my laptop and phone can go..

Is that too cool or what?

In fact, I hooked up the device direct to my TIVO (replaytv) and the remote control on my phone or laptop can control my TIVO/TV just as if I were at home. I get to see all the menus, can record shows, set shows to record, watch live or watch recorded.... What a geek I am.

Last but not least, I'm going to get a PAL version and get someone in the UK to set it up for me
Old Jun 19th 2006, 5:33 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SlingBox - AWESOME technology

Originally Posted by franc11s

I brought a $199 Sling Box this weekend. Up and running to my cable TV box in 20 minutes. Whow, what a simple idea and it REALLY works.

I can watch and control my TV box from anywhere in the world. I am sitting at work watching great quality live soccer.

To test it this morning, I was watching BBC News on BBC America all the way to work in my car (I didn't actually "WATCH" it the whole way, I was driving).

I have also just attached my XV6700 as a modem to my notebook PC and also proved I can watch great quality TV from anywhere my laptop and phone can go..

In fact, I hooked up the device direct to my TIVO (replaytv) and the remote control on my phone or laptop can control my TIVO/TV just as if I were at home. I get to see all the menus, can record shows, set shows to record, watch live or watch recorded.... What a geek I am.

Last but not least, I'm going to get a PAL version and get someone in the UK to set it up for me
I've thought about those - if it's really that good, maybe I'll get it. I was thinking of getting a small TV, but may get this and a new laptop instead.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Let me know how that works out.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 6:45 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

I know this has been discussed before but I can't find the thread so can you explain exactly what the Slingbox does, pleeeaase!! I thought someone had stated earlier you have to have someone in the UK with the box as well?? Thanks.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 7:02 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what the remote(s) look like on your PC. WHen you click a button, it drives your home cable / dish / DVR box..

http://www.slingmedia.com/i/remotes_lg.jpg

Here's some GEEK uses for Sling Box

http://www.slingmedia.com/us/extreme/

My colleague at work was delayed on a plane on the tarmac for 2 hours next to a screaming 3 year old. He used his cell phone to switch is home TV to Disney Channel and gave the phone to the 3 year old to watch.. Peace

Last edited by franc11s; Jun 19th 2006 at 7:06 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 7:05 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

In a Nutshell.

A sling Box is a small box that connects to your home internet AND your say your home TV converter (Comcast / Dish) box.

Then, from anywhere in the world, on a PC, you will see live TV of whatever channel your TV converter box is showing. Thanks to an infrared gizmo you attach as well, you can also change channels from anywhere in the world also.

So, here I am at work, watching say chanel 44 (Discovery) on my office laptop and then want to change to 130 (BBC America). I click on a picture of a remote control (that looks like my one at home) and the channel changes and now I'm looking at BBC America.

Get it ?

Now, what I want to do, is ALSO put one of these Sling Box devices in the UK (in my sisters house) so we can watch ANY UK TV live from the USA!! Of course, she will have to have broadband internet *AND* probably a spare cable box or tuner (else when I change channels, it will change on their TV too)..

Get it ?

hope that helps !!

Thank you, thank you, I get it Karma sent!!
Old Jun 19th 2006, 7:13 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what the remote(s) look like on your PC. WHen you click a button, it drives your home cable / dish / DVR box..

http://www.slingmedia.com/i/remotes_lg.jpg

Here's some GEEK uses for Sling Box

http://www.slingmedia.com/us/extreme/

My colleague at work was delayed on a plane on the tarmac for 2 hours next to a screaming 3 year old. He used his cell phone to switch is home TV to Disney Channel and gave the phone to the 3 year old to watch.. Peace
Think I would have left it on the channel I wanted, stuck the headphones on and turned the volume up.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 7:53 pm
medusas peligrosas

mozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with you - we have ours up and running now and are very impressed with it all.

Paid $172 for it, with free shipping, so are happy with our bargain!