Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Slight Problem with American Hyperbole

Wikiposts

Slight Problem with American Hyperbole

Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:55 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Slight Problem with American Hyperbole

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I do know its huge.....but certainly the reporting (standing out in the damn hurricane for god's sake!) gets ridiculous, don't you agree? I'm not agreeing that we shouldn't care, but to me, CNN is probably jumping up for joy at a good news story. I'm not trying to be heartless, but I think the media are.
to be honest I haven't been watching it the whole time..I think people watch the news when they can..thus it's like 24 hour coverage right now...I don't think we're meant to watch it over and over again until we get annoyed..for many people with families down there it's the only real way they know what's been going on..didn't they say cell phones weren't working?

I watched it for a bit this morning...I was amazed at how many people had decided to ignore the evacuation..I figured everybody would have gone running I know I would have :scared:
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WarriorLife
see the truth? See the truth?? I AM THE TRUTH.

Just because I have exposed all those shameless, hollow infidels who ease their own shallow conscience by posting a throwaway tribute message onto a web forum - avoiding all the hard physical contributions necessary to carry out a relief effort - is no reason for you to get pissy.

Go back to the raindrops on roses in your cyber-pub and leave the no-BS "telling it like it is" attitude to a genuine person.

And you are such a *genuine* person that when you first posted here you claimed you were moving to Texas via a K visa and then subsequently claimed that you moved to NJ via a company transfer ... you don't sound all that genuine to me.

You claim not to have multiple identities, and yet 'Warrior Life' seems to have two identities? I note you have now changed your profile!

You can carry on with your version of 'telling it like it is' ... but, perhaps you would be kind enough to leave out the 'genuine person' crap.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Well until you creatures realise that the definition of "caring", "worrying" and "sympathizing" means a lot more than a $20 donation with your credit card and an empty "get well soon" message posted on a forum (which will end up on page 6 by Friday), I will be here to put you in your place.

Once again, if my house and family were lost, and some dick told me "his heart went out to me" from his safe, warm house in New Mexico, you can bet I would be offended.

I bet you lot also cried over Diana's death didn't you? A woman you never knew, a person you never met. Yet I bet you all watched the funeral on TV, shedding crocodile tears and immersing yourself in fake self-gratifying grief.

The best part of all is how not one of you has been able to refute my comments and so resort to safety measures like "Oh God its him again" and "Go away troll". I am the truth and the reflection of your rotten souls...deal with it. You can't argue because you know it's true, so you resort to petty insults. Shame.

And here we were doing so nicely. Ok, I take it you're just here to make more and more friends. I don't have the time to play right now....well maybe for a few minutes. But, as in the last thread you posted, it gets boring, faster and faster.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:58 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
A'Warrior Life' seems to have two identities?
Of cours he does - he is the Son of You-Know-Who!
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:59 am
Banned

WarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant future

And here we were doing so nicely. Ok, I take it you're just here to make more and more friends. I don't have the time to play right now....well maybe for a few minutes. But, as in the last thread you posted, it gets boring, faster and faster.
Just trace back to see how took this on a downward spiral...it sure wasn't me who cast the first stone.

As for genuine person...thanks for taking the time to research me repeatedly. Since when is it unthinkable to move locations through business?
Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
to be honest I haven't been watching it the whole time..I think people watch the news when they can..thus it's like 24 hour coverage right now...I don't think we're meant to watch it over and over again until we get annoyed..for many people with families down there it's the only real way they know what's been going on..didn't they say cell phones weren't working?

I watched it for a bit this morning...I was amazed at how many people had decided to ignore the evacuation..I figured everybody would have gone running I know I would have :scared:
I've actually watched it for about 15 minutes last night and quite frankly there was too much scaremongering going on. I'm just disgusted with the reporting, because there always has to be a dramatic spin on things....as if we can't figure that out ourselves. I think these people need a lot of help and compassion, not someone shoving a microphone in their faces and asking them how they felt. That's pretty darn obvious, and what's the point?
Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Just trace back to see how took this on a downward spiral...it sure wasn't me who cast the first stone.

As for genuine person...thanks for taking the time to research me repeatedly. Since when is it unthinkable to move locations through business?
Certainly possible for some ... but impossible for you! You could not have been working in NJ when you were posting on this forum from Texas.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ok, you lost me. Who cast a stone? Are we doing religous stuff again? I don't bother to research anyone, I just have a fairly good memory for things that happen a day ago, I guess I'm just like that.

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Halleluiah!

The Messiah has risen again!

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Of cours he does - he is the Son of You-Know-Who!
he must be the other son...or the son of the other you know who.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:04 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffyles
Oh you ARE the truth.... LMAO. I've never been in a cyber pub- you must have confused me with someone else. But I have been in the aftermaths of nasty hurricanes- helping. Have you? Nahhh thought not.

Where did this clown come from??
Cue Jack Nicholson:

"YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH."
Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:05 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Well until you creatures realise that the definition of "caring", "worrying" and "sympathizing" means a lot more than a $20 donation with your credit card and an empty "get well soon" message posted on a forum (which will end up on page 6 by Friday), I will be here to put you in your place.

Once again, if my house and family were lost, and some dick told me "his heart went out to me" from his safe, warm house in New Mexico, you can bet I would be offended.

I bet you lot also cried over Diana's death didn't you? A woman you never knew, a person you never met. Yet I bet you all watched the funeral on TV, shedding crocodile tears and immersing yourself in fake self-gratifying grief.

The best part of all is how not one of you has been able to refute my comments and so resort to safety measures like "Oh God its him again" and "Go away troll". I am the truth and the reflection of your rotten souls...deal with it. You can't argue because you know it's true, so you resort to petty insults. Shame.
so you 're criticising those who care and make a $20 donation..well for every dollar you donate to Lowe's they'll double it(and no I don't work for Lowe's ) so if everyone donates $20 guess what? that's a load of money for the Red Cross etc to work with...face facts these hurricane victims need supplies..simple supplies like food and water......what do you suggest we do..got any bright ideas?...come on out with it.....hello?? ...are ..you.. still ...there?..cat got your tongue?....

the National guard has repeatedly told people to stay away from the devastated areas and let them get on with their job so don't go and suggest we traipse down there to physically help.......your posts are about as helpful as the pointless ones YOU mention only yours are heartless and far more irritating
Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:06 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I thought he had a good point at the beginning. I mean the news media does go OTT with all their ridiculous reporting....or was I getting the wrong point?
The news media is out of control in America, Lisa.....Very few would disagree. It's just that this guy tends to get into insulting/degrading people living in America in general, not just the media.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:06 am
Banned

WarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant future

Messages 52 - 56 evidently reveal the depth of discussion and intelligence that belies this forum. You are obviously incapable of answering the original points I addressed in a thoughtful manner, so you (as usual) compensate with pathetic jokes, ill attempts at humor, and poorly executed schoolyard taunts.

Concentrate on the root post topic and we can all enjoy a richly rewarding discussion....or continue to act like dickheads...it's your choice.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:08 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"

So he would need a good sp4nking, n'est-ce pas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.