Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Slight Problem with American Hyperbole

Slight Problem with American Hyperbole

Old Aug 30th 2005, 5:33 pm
Banned

WarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant future
Default Slight Problem with American Hyperbole

Does anyone else get tired of American media overhype? How nauseating it is to constantly listen to 9/11 referred to as "The Most Infamous Mass Murder of All Time" and "The Greatest Act of Terrorism The World Ever Saw"...and now in addition to this, the current talk of Katrina being "The most devastating natural disaster in recent memory", "America's Tsunami", "Mother Nature's greatest attack in modern memory"...it's terrible.

Yes - forget the Holocaust, Chinese infant massacres, IRA attacks, ETA attacks, Russian school terrorists, global genocides, the recent Asian tsunami, Indian earthquakes and Lord knows what else....that's all irrelevant. Anything that happens on American soil must take precedence over all the other 'inferior' nations.

The agony isn't over yet. I hope you're all prepared for the inevitable onslaught of tribute concerts, DVD specials, collectable newspapers and magazines, benefit gigs, movie remakes and public events that will soon be all over the place. I'll be sure to pre-order my 'Help Rebuild New Orleans' rubber bracelet when it comes out.

America is notorious for this, and it is starting to leave a bad taste in other people's mouths...especially mine.

And no, I am not flaming, trolling or causing trouble. Just offering a fresh perspective on the cookie-cutter "My heart goes out to these people" shallow threads.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Slight Problem with American Hyperbole

I almost agree with you.....I know, I shocked myself too. However, anyone involved in a disaster should have our sympathy.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 5:38 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

keeps the masses minds off the real news.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 5:41 pm
Banned

WarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I almost agree with you.....I know, I shocked myself too. However, anyone involved in a disaster should have our sympathy.
This is something I don't agree with. Whenever something bad happens to me, or I am the victim of misfortune, the last thing I want is for people to be sitting around showing pity and sympathy. In all honesty, if my house was under water, my pets dead and thousands of dollars worth of furniture, memorabilia and memories were washed away forever, the notion of some porker watching on CNN crying crocodile tears and repeating tired old cliches like "My heart goes out to them", "Those poor people", "I can only imagine the agony"...all that would just piss me off further.

Here's my attitude: If you feel for them, then book some time off work in two weeks and travel down to help them rebuild the town. They'll be desperate for volunteers. Alternatively, contribute 50% of your paycheck to the relief fund. Put your money where your mouth is....or mind your own business, that's what I say.

It's no different to the damn neighbors peeping through their curtains to get a glimpse of the widow during a funeral procession.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WarriorLife
This is something I don't agree with. Whenever something bad happens to me, or I am the victim of misfortune, the last thing I want is for people to be sitting around showing pity and sympathy. In all honesty, if my house was under water, my pets dead and thousands of dollars worth of furniture, memorabilia and memories were washed away forever, the notion of some porker watching on CNN crying crocodile tears and repeating tired old cliches like "My heart goes out to them", "Those poor people", "I can only imagine the agony"...all that would just piss me off further.

Here's my attitude: If you feel for them, then book some time off work in two weeks and travel down to help them rebuild the town. They'll be desperate for volunteers. Alternatively, contribute 50% of your paycheck to the relief fund. Put your money where your mouth is....or mind your own business, that's what I say.

It's no different to the damn neighbors peeping through their curtains to get a glimpse of the widow during a funeral procession.

Yes, again I amaze myself, I have to agree. I don't like people prying into my personal life, much less a tragedy.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 5:55 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone else get tired of American media overhype? How nauseating <snip>
And no, I am not flaming, trolling or causing trouble. Just offering a fresh perspective on the cookie-cutter "My heart goes out to these people" shallow threads.

How come you write something and then deny the meaning that everyone will get from it. At least you didn't preemptively, trash everyone who disagreed with you this time, I suppose we should be grateful for that.

It is bigger to Americans because it has happened to them. If somebody smacks you in the chops, it catches your attention more than if somebody else gets the busted mouth. They have been lucky, until recently, mainly due to geography. Tell me did the ETA attacks get the same coverage in the UK as the IRA?
Old Aug 30th 2005, 6:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
How come you write something and then deny the meaning that everyone will get from it. At least you didn't preemptively, trash everyone who disagreed with you this time, I suppose we should be grateful for that.

It is bigger to Americans because it has happened to them. If somebody smacks you in the chops, it catches your attention more than if somebody else gets the busted mouth. They have been lucky, until recently, mainly due to geography. Tell me did the ETA attacks get the same coverage in the UK as the IRA?
No it didn't - naturally. But I never saw Spain or the UK coming out with inane cash-in opportunities like "Bon Jovi pays homage to the Firefighters" nonsense either.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 6:19 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone else get tired of American media overhype? How nauseating it is to constantly listen to 9/11 referred to as "The Most Infamous Mass Murder of All Time" and "The Greatest Act of Terrorism The World Ever Saw"...and now in addition to this, the current talk of Katrina being "The most devastating natural disaster in recent memory", "America's Tsunami", "Mother Nature's greatest attack in modern memory"...it's terrible.

Yes - forget the Holocaust, Chinese infant massacres, IRA attacks, ETA attacks, Russian school terrorists, global genocides, the recent Asian tsunami, Indian earthquakes and Lord knows what else....that's all irrelevant. Anything that happens on American soil must take precedence over all the other 'inferior' nations.

The agony isn't over yet. I hope you're all prepared for the inevitable onslaught of tribute concerts, DVD specials, collectable newspapers and magazines, benefit gigs, movie remakes and public events that will soon be all over the place. I'll be sure to pre-order my 'Help Rebuild New Orleans' rubber bracelet when it comes out.

America is notorious for this, and it is starting to leave a bad taste in other people's mouths...especially mine.

I totally agree with you. And what is soon forgotten is that if you build houses made of wood and Sheetrock in an area where hurricanes are possible, or stay there after being told to leave 3 days earlier (granted a few people had no choice), then you should not blame other people!
Old Aug 30th 2005, 6:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
I totally agree with you. And what is soon forgotten is that if you build houses made of wood and Sheetrock in an area where hurricanes are possible, or stay there after being told to leave 3 days earlier (granted a few people had no choice), then you should not blame other people!
I just wish people could maintain some private dignity instead of throwing everything into the public domain like some vile Jerry Springer-style exhibition. If it's not Hollywood stars selling secrets of their divorce to tabloids, it's jurors writing books about their cases. Now everyone wants to create a "Woe is me" spectacle out of a natural disaster.

Simple summary: If you're involved - pick yourself up, endure it and rebuild with the "Spirit of the Blitz". If you're not involved, shut the F8ck up and get a real problem.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 6:46 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I just wish people could maintain some private dignity instead of throwing everything into the public domain like some vile Jerry Springer-style exhibition. If it's not Hollywood stars selling secrets of their divorce to tabloids, it's jurors writing books about their cases. Now everyone wants to create a "Woe is me" spectacle out of a natural disaster.

Simple summary: If you're involved - pick yourself up, endure it and rebuild with the "Spirit of the Blitz". If you're not involved, shut the F8ck up and get a real problem.
I don't think you were around in the blitz, if you had been you would know that one of the wonders of it was that a very private people got together to help each other. If the Americans hadn't come to our aid in WW2 we would be under the heel of the Nazis. Or we would have been Nazis. They didn't have to support us with Lend Lease. Should we have said "No thanks, we are fiercely independent."
Old Aug 30th 2005, 6:49 pm
Banned

I don't think you were around in the blitz, if you had been you would know that one of the wonders of it was that a very private people got together to help each other. If the Americans hadn't come to our aid in WW2 we would be under the heel of the Nazis. Or we would have been Nazis. They didn't have to support us with Lend Lease. Should we have said "No thanks, we are fiercely independent."
What the hell are you talking about? You've missed the point entirely, lad.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 6:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

As an American who has dug in her pockets for many causes, at home and aboard, I will certainly remember your words when once again a country in need, other than my own, asks for monetary assistance to rebuild, feed its hungry and/or care for its sick and dying.

And FYI Katrina's tidal surge was a tsunami. Because it was not caused by an earthquake does not mean it was not a valid tsunami. A surge of 27 to 30 feet over sea level is a tsunami.

Also btw my future son-in-law lost his home and investment property to Katrina's hit on Gulfport and Long Beach, MS yesterday. And no, he is not asking for handouts from private individuals or the US Government.

Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes America can always be relied on to go OTT. And you always have the option of turning the telly/radio off. I haven't turned the telly on today, I read the news online and will pass on the rest. But at least those broadcasts get people to donate, either services or money, which is desperately needed... so I suppose that's one good thing.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rete
As an American who has dug in her pockets for many causes, at home and aboard, I will certainly remember your words when once again a country in need, other than my own, asks for monetary assistance to rebuild, feed its hungry and/or care for its sick and dying.

And FYI Katrina's tidal surge was a tsunami. Because it was not caused by an earthquake does not mean it was not a valid tsunami. A surge of 27 to 30 feet over sea level is a tsunami.

Also btw my future son-in-law lost his home and investment property to Katrina's hit on Gulfport and Long Beach, MS yesterday. And no, he is not asking for handouts from private individuals or the US Government.
Regarding charity, the point I was making is that there are far too many people out there who ease their own conscience by muttering worn out old cliches like "My hopes and prayers are with those poor people", shed a few tears...and switch channels and make a cup of tea.

Similarly, the do-gooders who post nonsensical "Those poor people" messages on forums (I see one or two in this very section). Sure, they feel sympathy and sorrow. But do they donate to relief funds?
No.
Do they help with the recovery effort?
No.
Do they help with rebuilding and clearing the rubble?
No.
Do they open their doors to the homeless?
No.
Do they tend to the sick, injured and dying?
No.

In other words, keep your hollow bullshlt sympathies to yourselves.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Today's world and yesterday's are so very very different in terms of communication and social, moral and selfishness. I see so much selfishness in my country but then again I see it in other countries as well. The world is so "me" or is that "I" oriented.

Natural diasters like Katrina are not private misfortunes. They are very very public. You cannot kept those stories under wrap anymore than a ferry sinking like last week, etc. I don't see that anyone person is making a plea for financial assistance from another individual through the media.

Already members of Con Edison, New York's primarly electrical company, has sent units down to MS and LA to help get the power back up. This is only one small portion of a public entity seeking to assist. Just as they did when they sent units to Canada after the 1997/1998 Ice Storm. It wasn't asked for, just done.

As for the entertainment industries response, that is their response. It is not a private one and I don't know how they came to organize their benefits. But even if you didn't pledge money during their benefits for the Tsunami victims last December or the firefighters in 2001, you enjoyed the concert or entertainment.

Please rant all you want at the media but don't rant at the little guy. Especially the little guy that was devastated yesterday by Katrina. The poor can't afford house insurance so they will need assistance. The rich can fend for themselves. The middle class will get the brunt of the burden with insurance only paying so much on the $1 and their inability to qualify for governmental assistance.

For WL and others who are now living in the US and many of you are living in the Carolinas either along the coastline or in the path of the hurricanes like Katrina that make their ways inland. If your property were destroyed by her, I would not distinguish that my monetary pledge not go to a British expat.

thanks for the chance to speak out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.