Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Skycots with Virgin Atlantic

Skycots with Virgin Atlantic

Old Jun 9th 2010, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all
Default Re: Skycots with Virgin Atlantic

Hi again Pootle,
No offence but I would ignore the last few posts. Virgin skycots are fine. Also, I don't think you're allowed to take a carseat, even if you would have wanted to pay the extra money for a seat. (The people in front of me last time had to put their carseat in the hold and they had paid for an extra seat for nothing.)
You can bring baby food and liquid through security as long as you taste it! Yuk. (I've tasted expressed breastmilk and food jars many times...) Or you can buy something in the airport after security.
PM me if you have any more questions...
Old Jun 9th 2010, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I think Ash is quite rightly saying that you holding the baby on your lap during turbulence is as good as not holding them at all. Unrestrained babies flying around the cabin . The extra lap belts seem to have been banned - they weren't available on AA when we last flew, long story but AA quoted FAA regulations show that they're more dangerous - maybe because the parent could crush a child in certain cases. The new skycot slummymummy sounds as if it gets around that problem.

As for car seats, if they meet FAA/CAA regulations then you CAN take them on board. Look for the sticker with the E in a circle and call the airline to confirm that you will be taking it onboard (and at the check-in desk, and gate). Bear in mind you can't sit in emergency exit rows, or put the car seat in an aisle seat. We used ours on AA, UA, and DL last year (son was 1yr 10mo at the time), on 7 flights from big B777s to tiny puddle jumpers. None of the flight crew batted an eyelid or even checked the label, on the contrary some actually helped us carry it or our hand luggage. But that's more for toddlers, not babies, and I doubt we will use it next time now he's a bit bigger. Obviously you have to pay for a seat and you still pay ~90% of the adult fare for that seat but at least you get the full baggage allowance.

By the way, you can take your pushchair/buggy/stroller all the way to the gate, often to the door of the aircraft, before they take it off you and put it in the hold. It should be waiting for you at the other end, either outside the door or just inside the gate. It can be a bit of a hassle at security though, especially if it's too big for the x-ray machines.

I wouldn't say we've got it down to a fine art but after nearly a dozen flights with the littlun we're learning to be better prepared and take on board as little as possible, as you have enough to handle as it is!
Old Jun 9th 2010, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Virgin and all other airlines I've ever flown with have infant seatbelts (which lock onto yours), and you use them at take-off and landing.
I'm pretty sure you can't take a carseat on Virgin.
Yes you can take a pushchair to the gate, it's very convenient. As for getting it back, it varies, sometimes when you get off the plane, sometimes it comes on the belt with the rest of your luggage.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slummymummy
Virgin and all other airlines I've ever flown with have infant seatbelts (which lock onto yours), and you use them at take-off and landing.
I'm pretty sure you can't take a carseat on Virgin.
Yes you can take a pushchair to the gate, it's very convenient. As for getting it back, it varies, sometimes when you get off the plane, sometimes it comes on the belt with the rest of your luggage.
Assuming we're talking about the same thing, loop belts where you use your seat belt, and have another belt which goes around that and the child sitting on your lap, DO appear to be banned by the FAA (and Germany for that matter). Now, whether that applies to Virgin (being a British carrier) I don't know, as I would have thought that FAA regulations apply to any carrier operating in US airspace. I could well be wrong, in fact probably am on that one.

Apologies, you appear to be correct about car seats on Virgin - they supply their own special infant seats, actually fitted for you as well. Excellent idea. I believe my comment is still valid for the majority of carriers though - it's been a while since going on Virgin, and then not being with an infant/child!

One other thing about car seats: check the width of them to make sure they'll fit within the armrests.

Gone a bit off-topic there, sorry, but hopefully useful in future.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Geoff, that's ridiculous! Not you... the ban on infant seatbelts. I'd like to find out the exact reason for that, but I'll ask my friend Google later if I remember!

Old Jun 9th 2010, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Geoff, that's ridiculous! Not you... the ban on infant seatbelts. I'd like to find out the exact reason for that, but I'll ask my friend Google later if I remember!

I can understand the reason in a crash - if they're on your lap and you inevitably flop forwards at a force of several Gs, held back by lap belt around your waist only, then you'd be crushing that child between your legs and your torso. But in turbulence...? And the alternative of not being restrained at all doesn't bear thinking about. Lots of talk on flyer forums and articles about it.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:34 am
Dragon with a Wagon

Dudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant future

ok here's the skinny, it's called an infant care chair on Virgin, you need to prebook the seat for your little one, you also need to try to get assigned seats, as the icc has to be fit by the crew prior to boarding.It is a great device, but not the most comfortable for the little one sleep. I actually recommend this icc to others, it's safe and secure and no I'm not just saying this cause I'm an ex Virgin hostie, I'm saying it because I've seen it in action and had to fit them before now.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again Pootle,
No offence but I would ignore the last few posts. Virgin skycots are fine.
The one we used (on United) was little more than a box attached to the bulk head, it had a velcro fastening strap that went over my daughter.

I don't think you're allowed to take a carseat
I have used mine on United, Delta, KLM, Northwest US Airways and BMI. If Virgin do not allow them then they probably have their own.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I can understand the reason in a crash - if they're on your lap and you inevitably flop forwards at a force of several Gs, held back by lap belt around your waist only, then you'd be crushing that child between your legs and your torso. But in turbulence...? And the alternative of not being restrained at all doesn't bear thinking about. Lots of talk on flyer forums and articles about it.
Two examples of my personal experiences flying... about 12 years ago we were on an Airtours flght back from Orlando we were going down the run way at speed when the pilot slowed down quick. Even with my seatbelt I went forward in my seat. There is no way I would have wanted a baby between me and the seat in front.

A couple of years back we were taking a trip back to England the seat belt signs were off and we hit unexpected turbulance, hard enough that one of the cabin crew landed on some guys lap and her coffee went everywhere.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

The skycots are called bassinet. You need to tell the airline to make a note in your PNR that you need a bulkhead seat.

Typically, baby in arms/lap is charged 10% fare. Each carrier has slightly different procedure for dealing with these requests. If you are olite, but firm they might accomodate you. bulkhead seats are coveted by frequent flyers for the extra legroom and the comfort of not having a leaning seat in front of you
Old Jun 11th 2010, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by anuny
Typically, baby in arms/lap is charged 10% fare
Further to this, the 10% of the fare does NOT include taxes etc. So whilst the fare for an adult LHR-LAX on a random date is £255 and the child fare £26, once you add taxes on it is £499 for an adult and £105 for the child - which is over 21%. Not much but worth remembering, plus the baggage allowance for the infant is not necessarily the same as for a seated passenger.