British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Sky+ replacement (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/sky-replacement-312508/)

Tinyburst Jul 6th 2005 8:05 pm

Sky+ replacement

The date of our move is getting closer. We have Sky+ here in the UK. We both love it watch what we want when we want with no adverts. Does any of the US cable/satellite company's have a system as good?

Any help would be appreciated.

We are moving to Phoenix.

Tiny

Duncan Roberts Jul 6th 2005 8:12 pm

Re: Sky+ replacement

Most will offer some kind of DVR type thing where you can record onto a hard drive and watch whenever after that. Cable companies offer on demand channels for subscription services like HBO, Showtime and Starz so you can watch movies or series that they run whenever. These channels aren't linked to a specific cable company but you have to subscribe to the premium service and have digital cable, it is not currently available on satellite. There may also be a cable company freeview thing which generally has bunk on. USA is technologically behind England for most things in my opinion but it's starting to catch up.

Manc Jul 6th 2005 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Tinyburst
The date of our move is getting closer. We have Sky+ here in the UK. We both love it watch what we want when we want with no adverts. Does any of the US cable/satellite company's have a system as good?

Any help would be appreciated.

We are moving to Phoenix.

Tiny

Dish network / Direct TV are your best bet.

get used to adverts unless you Tivo a lot of stuff.

Pimpbot Jul 6th 2005 8:36 pm

Cox digital cable offers a DVR here in the Valley.

Tinyburst Jul 6th 2005 8:39 pm

Which service offers the best chance of watching Coca cola championship football?

Manc Jul 6th 2005 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Tinyburst
Which service offers the best chance of watching Coca cola championship football?

None.

Duncan Roberts Jul 6th 2005 8:44 pm

Staying back in England.
Other than that you can get sky spots news on fox soccer channel a few times everyday, you get the scores and a couple of minutes of highlights. Other than that I have never seen or heard of it being shown.

Big D Jul 6th 2005 8:51 pm

As Manc says Dish and Direct TV

My preference was DTV as they offer Tivo and the main advantage is you can set a season pass - the equivalent of a series link on Sky+ - Dish you have to set each program. You could by a Tivo seperately for Dish I believe but you will get a better deal getting one when you sign up. They both offer very similar channels, prices etc.

The dish DVR does have the advantage that you can play back to any TV in the house - but i really wanted the season pass as i am crap at remembering. WIth the Tivo I think you will find it as good and even better than Sky+, although the graphics etc are different.

Manc Jul 6th 2005 8:57 pm

You can get DVR and Season pass with Dish network now.
I just switched because they threw in the DVR for free on installation wheres Directtv wanted to charge me for it.

but essentially, it's the same shit, just a different bucket.

Big D Jul 6th 2005 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
You can get DVR and Season pass with Dish network now.
I just switched because they threw in the DVR for free on installation wheres Directtv wanted to charge me for it.

but essentially, it's the same shit, just a different bucket.

Cool - i did exactly the same the other way round to get the free Tivo off Direct! And just think you will be able to get t'enders on pay per view now!!

IrnBru Jul 6th 2005 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Staying back in England.
Other than that you can get sky spots news on fox soccer channel a few times everyday, you get the scores and a couple of minutes of highlights. Other than that I have never seen or heard of it being shown.

http://www.globecastwtv.com/ has Setanta sports, Im not aure about English football but I know that channel definitely broadcasts Scottish football

USBound Jul 6th 2005 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by IrnBru
http://www.globecastwtv.com/ has Setanta sports, Im not aure about English football but I know that channel definitely broadcasts Scottish football

it does english football too, and rugby.

snowbunny Jul 6th 2005 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by USBound
it does english football too, and rugby.

Hmmmmm.... $179.00 for the dish.... then $12 per month for subscribing to the sports..... free Dutch programming, $4 per month for generic European news from various sources.

Is the $179.00 a one-time thing? If your dish breaks, do you have to pony up another $179.00?

anotherlimey Jul 6th 2005 10:10 pm

I ordered DVR with [crappy] Comcast (the monopoly) way back in January. They f***** up and didn't install it, and I've only just got around to finding the time to schedule another appointment.

But low and behold the incompetence of Comcast shines through and they f****d up again. So now, I'm having is installed next week for free, with 3 months rental for free too.

HoosierDaddy Jul 6th 2005 11:20 pm

DirecTV will have the Setanta Sports package this year also for $11.99/month. They will be showing some CC Championship games this year.

I wish Dish Network were offering it (for SPL games). I'll stick with them though as the wife and I watch EastEnders on PPV ;)