Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sky Go + VPN

Sky Go + VPN

Old May 17th 2020, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

freerskier is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sky Go + VPN

Hi, has anyone used a VPN set up to get to a Sky GO account in the UK from the US. If so to what degree of success?

Cheers.
Old May 18th 2020, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

capin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sky Go + VPN

Yes and 100%
Old May 18th 2020, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody want to guess the post after this one is How did you do it
Old May 18th 2020, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

freerskier is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.

Done the initial tech research etc. Did you retain a U.K. Sky subscription or “borrow” someone’s account, family member/friend.

oh and thanks for the hint - I guess I should say “How did you do it?” 😉
Old May 18th 2020, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by freerskier View Post
Thanks.

Done the initial tech research etc. Did you retain a U.K. Sky subscription or “borrow” someone’s account, family member/friend.

oh and thanks for the hint - I guess I should say “How did you do it?” 😉
Obviously, I would never do this but if I ever wanted to watch Sky Go in the USA, I would use a family member's account.

I would also setup a t2.micro/nano free tier Linux server in one of the UK AWS datacentres. I would install OpenVPN server on the AWS server and install the client on a router in my house. The benefit of this is that it would not be affected by the frequent blocks that BBC, ITV, SKY etc put on certain IP ranges that are identified as being used by VPN providers.

Further instructions here -> https://openvpn.net/aws-video-tutorials/byol/

and here -> https://hackernoon.com/using-a-vpn-s...e-3c81269c71c2

Last edited by capin; May 18th 2020 at 5:29 pm.
Old May 21st 2020, 12:25 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I had set one up ages ago but eventually let my subscription lapse as there were other options that were actually more reliable. (cough-cough-kodi box-cough-cough). I was really just using it for Sky Sports and there were so many other options it wasn't worth the cash.
Old May 21st 2020, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by capin View Post
Obviously, I would never do this but if I ever wanted to watch Sky Go in the USA, I would use a family member's account.

I would also setup a t2.micro/nano free tier Linux server in one of the UK AWS datacentres. I would install OpenVPN server on the AWS server and install the client on a router in my house. The benefit of this is that it would not be affected by the frequent blocks that BBC, ITV, SKY etc put on certain IP ranges that are identified as being used by VPN providers.

Further instructions here -> https://openvpn.net/aws-video-tutorials/byol/

and here -> https://hackernoon.com/using-a-vpn-s...e-3c81269c71c2
I'm surprised that the AWS external IP blocks aren't banned from accessing Sky. I would have thought that the engineers designing and running Sky would have thought of people and companies doing this... just like they ban VPNs.

Last edited by cautiousjon; May 21st 2020 at 1:36 pm.
Old May 21st 2020, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cautiousjon View Post
I'm surprised that the AWS external IP blocks aren't banned from accessing Sky. I would have thought that the engineers designing and running Sky would have thought of people and companies doing this... just like they ban VPNs.
Maybe the providers think that they are doing about enough by targeting the commercial VPNs. AWS works every time, no having to refresh DHCP lease and it is the only way that I know of that lets you download from iPlayer.
Old May 21st 2020, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by penguinsix View Post
I had set one up ages ago but eventually let my subscription lapse as there were other options that were actually more reliable. (cough-cough-kodi box-cough-cough). I was really just using it for Sky Sports and there were so many other options it wasn't worth the cash.
If I wasn't in the US, I would go the cough cough route. You make a good point, YoutubeTV is an excellent service and covers premiership, champions league, F1 etc and for $55/month it's great value.