Skunks!

Old Apr 4th 2004, 12:34 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Skunks!

We have skunks in our garden, under the decking and under the house.

It's illegal to poison them in California so last year we had Pest Control come out several times to trap them. Unfortunately they didn't catch any!

All the time we had a dead one rotting away in the underfloor ducting. The heating guy couldn't remove the ducting until the live one's were gone. He did go under the house but came out pretty fast (dropping his torch en route) when he spotted a live on. Can you imagine what the smell and the flies were like?

We've spent a fortune on replacing al the ducts and so understandably we don't want the same problem this year.

But, they have already moved in. They stink to high heaven in the evening. They scratch around for food under my son's window and fight on the patio. His bedroom stinks at night.

I'm going to get the Pest Control guy out again to trap them and replace the grills around the house to prevent them getting back in. But does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can get rid of them? Anyone had the same problem and been succesful?
Old Apr 4th 2004, 12:40 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Not a clue but you have my sympathies. Here we're plauged with coyotes who want to eat my cats.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 1:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skunks!

I discovered that there is no restriction shooting skunks in California, so, personally, I'd buy a shotgun and shoot them myself.

Failing that I'd get somebody else who has a shotgun to shoot them for me.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 2:11 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

There's a ban on shooting or trapping coyotes which is why we're totally overrun with them. I'd get rid of a few myself if I could.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 2:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sibsie
There's a ban on shooting or trapping coyotes which is why we're totally overrun with them. I'd get rid of a few myself if I could.
You can buy various animal repellants (dogs, rodents, rabits, snakes, etc.) at Lowes/ Home Depot for use in your yard, but the active ingredient in most of them is mothballs, so why not try them - you can buy a box of mothballs much more cheaply at Walmart than the "proper" repellants cost.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

We have the same problem with chipmunks. Its all very well that they are small and cute but when they get into and under our home threatening to undermine it something had to be done. We were advised to try predator pee by our local agricultural co-op it seemed to work pretty well. My husband also tried drowning them (10 gallon bucket half filled with water, seeds floating on top) but I put a stop to that as its cruel.
These sites may help ! http://www.predatorpee.com/
http://www.legupenterprises.com/

Jan

ohh our skunks thankfully live under the barn !
Old Apr 4th 2004, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by jan_michigan
We have the same problem with chipmunks. Its all very well that they are small and cute but when they get into and under our home threatening to undermine it something had to be done. We were advised to try predator pee by our local agricultural co-op it seemed to work pretty well. My husband also tried drowning them (10 gallon bucket half filled with water, seeds floating on top) but I put a stop to that as its cruel.

Jan

My friend here in AZ has a cabin in the north of the State. She was having trouble with deer eating all her flowers. She went to the local zoo and bought some lion shit. I kid you not, a big bag of it, the deer problem has been solved.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 6:41 am
Just Joined

djames is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by effi
My friend here in AZ has a cabin in the north of the State. She was having trouble with deer eating all her flowers. She went to the local zoo and bought some lion shit. I kid you not, a big bag of it, the deer problem has been solved.

That's Fantastic !!!
Old Apr 5th 2004, 6:55 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skunks!

Believe me I'd love to go under the house, Lara Croft style and get them. Hubby doesn't think it practical!

Besides, it's not legal to use a gun so close to the house.

Originally posted by Pulaski
I discovered that there is no restriction shooting skunks in California, so, personally, I'd buy a shotgun and shoot them myself.

Failing that I'd get somebody else who has a shotgun to shoot them for me.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 6:55 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

I've sent off an order. Here's hoping it works!

Originally posted by jan_michigan

Jan

Old Apr 5th 2004, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Lord Longleat has for years sold the produce from the famous lions to local gardeners. Works a treat at getting rid of pests.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 1:47 pm
C.G.D.S

I've just discovered that llamas are great coyote deterrants. We've got a couple at the farm and they work a treat. Now all I need to do is coax them up to my house.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

djames is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Lord Longleat has for years sold the produce from the famous lions to local gardeners. Works a treat at getting rid of pests.

Actualy It's Lord Bath who lives at Longleat !!
Old Apr 5th 2004, 5:11 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I have a mole and all I can do is think of the Jasper Carrott monologue (theres only one way to get rid of a mole) and the Austin Powers - Molee, molee, molee mole!

I have been told I can rid of him if I put grub stuff down to kill the grubs - no food and the mole will move on to someone elses yard. Simply problem, simply solution - as some dickheads would say!

Patrick
Old Apr 5th 2004, 6:03 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

There's a woman who lives on the other side of a conservation area from us who keeps wolves and a lion on her property!
The DH thought I was going bonkers when I said I could hear wolves howling and the lion growling in the evening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.