Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

skin cancer- update

skin cancer- update

Old Jan 7th 2005, 2:14 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy skin cancer- update

A while back I'd posted something about my Dad's doctor saying the bump he removed might be skin cancer. My Dad said the tests came back positive for skin cancer, so now he'll be going in for treatment...just found out
Old Jan 7th 2005, 2:18 pm
ElsieTheMaid

Default Re: skin cancer- update

So sorry to hear that! Where was the bump? I wish you and your family well....these will certainly be tough times I'm sure.

Old Jan 7th 2005, 2:21 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElsieTheMaid
So sorry to hear that! Where was the bump? I wish you and your family well....these will certainly be tough times I'm sure.
Hi Elsie,

Thanks for your wishes. It was on his face, near his eye. Over the years he's had numerous "spots" that would appear mostly on his face or head, and they'd just burn the spots of or take them out for testing if the spot looked suspicious. It upsets me that there's nothing that could have been done in the pre-cancer stage.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 3:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jcapulet
Hi Elsie,

Thanks for your wishes. It was on his face, near his eye. Over the years he's had numerous "spots" that would appear mostly on his face or head, and they'd just burn the spots of or take them out for testing if the spot looked suspicious. It upsets me that there's nothing that could have been done in the pre-cancer stage.

Sorry to hear about your father's cancer. They did do what they could do in the pre-cancerous stage. They removed the spots as they appeared and they were called to their attention. There is usually no way to know what will or will not become cancerous unless a previous removal proved to be pre-cancerous.

What course of treatment will he be given?
Old Jan 7th 2005, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

canny lass is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter, age 31 has just had four moles removed yesterday, this is the upteenth time in the last five years she has had this procedure. Her first time was a mole that appeared on her chest and changed shape very quickly and was diagnosed as a stage 1 melanoma, she now watches her body for changes and goes for treatment immediately whenever a new mole appears. Some of them have been pre cancer and others just moles. It has nothing to do with sun exposure, it's just in her genes, her grandfather had a stage 5 melanoma, which went undetected until it was too late, this made us very aware of our bodies, his experience has saved her life.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 3:35 pm
jingling

Originally Posted by Rete
Sorry to hear about your father's cancer. They did do what they could do in the pre-cancerous stage. They removed the spots as they appeared and they were called to their attention. There is usually no way to know what will or will not become cancerous unless a previous removal proved to be pre-cancerous.

What course of treatment will he be given?
Hi Rete,

You're right, I guess removal of spots was the treatment so they would not develop into something worse. He mentioned something about an electric needle treatment, I have never heard of that so I'll ask him about it when I call him tonight.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 3:39 pm
jingling

Originally Posted by canny lass
My daughter, age 31 has just had four moles removed yesterday, this is the upteenth time in the last five years she has had this procedure. Her first time was a mole that appeared on her chest and changed shape very quickly and was diagnosed as a stage 1 melanoma, she now watches her body for changes and goes for treatment immediately whenever a new mole appears. Some of them have been pre cancer and others just moles. It has nothing to do with sun exposure, it's just in her genes, her grandfather had a stage 5 melanoma, which went undetected until it was too late, this made us very aware of our bodies, his experience has saved her life.
Hi CL,

I know for my father it was sun exposure-he has very fair skin and he never wore sunblock. He tanned/burned every summer during vacations or yard work.

I hope everything goes ok for your daughter. What kind of treatments does she receive?
Old Jan 7th 2005, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

canny lass is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks and with your father also. No treatments, as long as they get clear margins around the mole it means it has not spread. They like to dig deep, so she has lots of scars, she never goes out uncovered so she is not bothered.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 1:17 am
Just Joined

soldiersgirl is just really nicesoldiersgirl is just really nicesoldiersgirl is just really nicesoldiersgirl is just really nicesoldiersgirl is just really nicesoldiersgirl is just really nicesoldiersgirl is just really nicesoldiersgirl is just really nice
Smile Re: skin cancer- update

I hope that my email will help you. Two years ago I had skin cancer in the corner of my eye. It was a very slight/tiny spot. BUT.. being the skin freak that I am, I was straight to the dermatologist. (I've lived in FL for over 20 years)...

It was basal cell skin cancer. I had what is called "MOHS" surgery in the dermatologists office. They had to go in 4 times before all the cancer was removed.

From there, because of the location of the cancer, I went directly to a plastic surgeon's office for skin grafting. They took the skin from under my ear where it matched.

well, let me tell you something. It's 2 years later and you cannot notice the scar.

The surgeries were not painful. There are alot of needles involved... no doubt about it......but painless. It looks worse than anything.. hardly any pain involved post surgery either.

What you have to keep in mind is that your vanity does not matter and they are able to catch the cancer. The scars fade with time........and it's a painful reminder to all of us just how deadly the sun can be and to take precautions.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 12:37 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jcapulet
A while back I'd posted something about my Dad's doctor saying the bump he removed might be skin cancer. My Dad said the tests came back positive for skin cancer, so now he'll be going in for treatment...just found out
Sorry to hear this. Hope it all works out for the best. Good luck to all involved.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 3:10 pm
jingling

Originally Posted by soldiersgirl
The scars fade with time........and it's a painful reminder to all of us just how deadly the sun can be and to take precautions.
Thanks for sharing your story. My Dad will have to go in again to fully remove the bump- it's too close to his eye so they removed most of it and the rest will be removed by an electric needle treatment.

You're right about how the sun can be very deadly if one doesn't protect themselves. It may seem like nothing for decades, and then at some point your realize the damage that's been done.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 3:15 pm
jingling

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Sorry to hear this. Hope it all works out for the best. Good luck to all involved.
Thank you LIW. It's been hard on me (and my family) after finding out, and I hope everything goes ok with my Dad's treatments.