Skiing USA

Old Oct 16th 2013, 7:48 am
Fort Collins, Colorado

yukichon will become famous soon enoughyukichon will become famous soon enough
Default Skiing USA

One of the massive moving points for us was being only 90 mins from the nearest ski resort, which will be a dream. In fact, through winter we will likely ski every weekend available....

What I was wondering was about the annual ski passes. Are they significantly cheaper for state residents and does anyone know of any great ways to get the best deals? (We will be in Northern Colorado btw)

Also....is it mandatory to fit ski chains during winter season when driving in the higher areas? I know it makes a lot more sense, but over the years, I have driven always on standard tyres through the Alps, even in some very scary situations
Old Oct 16th 2013, 8:07 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skiing USA

Originally Posted by yukichon
One of the massive moving points for us was being only 90 mins from the nearest ski resort, which will be a dream. In fact, through winter we will likely ski every weekend available....

What I was wondering was about the annual ski passes. Are they significantly cheaper for state residents and does anyone know of any great ways to get the best deals? (We will be in Northern Colorado btw)

Also....is it mandatory to fit ski chains during winter season when driving in the higher areas? I know it makes a lot more sense, but over the years, I have driven always on standard tyres through the Alps, even in some very scary situations
I don't ski but I do know that prices vary greatly by the popularity of the resort.
In Oregon 'chains required' depends on conditions.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 1:11 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Season passes get more expensive as you get closer to the ski season. The cheapest passes have either gone, or are coming up to the dates where the price increases. There are some passes in Colorado that are cheaper for CO residents. Just check the websites for the ski hills you're interested in.

Chains are not usually required, particularly for awd/4wd, or vehicles with winter tires. Some states (e.g., Oregon) require chains to be available on certain roads during the winter. Not sure if CO has any similar rules. The cops or the DOT (Department of Transportation in that state) can enforce temporary requirements if the conditions warrant it.

I have a 2wd with some Thule chains in the trunk. They are very quick to install and I don't hesitate to use them if they'll be helpful. If we were snow covered more often I'd probably have snow tires.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 1:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Waschusett is about $500 a season, little more for all access.

Sugarloaf in Maine, if you buy before end of month is on sale for around $1500, little more for all access. Can get cheaper ones that limit you to certain days during the week or not on holidays etc.

Best deals tend to be for students or had before October.

Some insurance providers might cover a percentage as a reimbursement for "healthy living", much like a gym membership, others won't.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 1:52 pm
Fort Collins, Colorado

Im sure keeping snow chains in the car will be a good idea in Colorado, especially if they are the quick fit version. There are 4 of us so looks like skiing could be pretty darn expensive
Old Oct 16th 2013, 1:55 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I am 54miles from the center of south lake tahoe and can tell you now, and I am sure Colorado will be the same you are going to want a decent 4x4 ski chains are not going to cut it, yes I have driven in Austria with chains in a blizzard etc etc.............why suffer and to be honest I have seen so many cars with chains sitting on the side of the road stuck or slidding out of control.

Also remember the cost of an SUV 4x4 is going to be way cheaper here in the US not only to buy but the gas is affordable compared to the UK, even buy a little old banger

Below is a link of our expenses for the season can't wait

http://www.snow.com/epic-pass/bestoftahoe.aspx
Old Oct 16th 2013, 2:05 pm
Fort Collins, Colorado

Thanks. I did actually mean a 4x4 with snow chains. Probs get a Jeep Grand Cherokee which I think has some decent snow ability. That plus snow chains should deal with the worst the continental divide can throw at us
...and I am loving the look of the Epic pass, will have to see if they do one for CO
Old Oct 16th 2013, 2:20 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I did actually mean a 4x4 with snow chains. Probs get a Jeep Grand Cherokee which I think has some decent snow ability. That plus snow chains should deal with the worst the continental divide can throw at us
...and I am loving the look of the Epic pass, will have to see if they do one for CO
You are going to love it I am sure, I am super excited like a big kid again lol....sorry about the "Chains" confusion, and yes a Jeep Cherokee would be a great, they are as common as muck and cheap as chips the older used ones here, I would also look at a Toyota 4Runner as it beats the Cherokee hands down for snow and towing, so I am told by other snow fanatics
Old Oct 16th 2013, 2:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... There are 4 of us so looks like skiing could be pretty darn expensive.
Maybe you could cut back in other areas, ..... such as architect's fees!
Old Oct 16th 2013, 2:38 pm
Fort Collins, Colorado

No cutting back, full force ahead ....architects, contractor, new cars and a family ski pass....LIVE THE DREAM
Old Oct 16th 2013, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Maine the ski passes are not significantly cheaper for state residents although some resorts do great deals for kids from nearby schools.

There will be various deals for skiing even if you don't buy an annual pass. There might be a deal where you can buy a batch of tickets for multiple resorts, so you can try lots of different ones out. Look for slightly cheaper day tickets through Liftopia. Also some resorts have days that are cheaper for locals eg in Maine Saddleback does $29 tickets for Maine residents on the last Friday of each month. They often have other discounts running too eg AAA discount one day a year.

The other thing to look out for (no idea if this happens in Colorado but it does here) is Community Services may offer a program where they take groups of people skiing for say 6 Sundays in a row and you all get heavily discounted tickets, rentals and lessons.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 4:38 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Probs get a Jeep Grand Cherokee which I think has some decent snow ability.
Few years back when we had a bad winter the road from Portland over the mountains to the coast was closed. I had dispensation to travel the route as I was couriering emergency blood supplies to a hospital. I took my Grand Cherokee and went all the way (carefully) and got through without using chains. It just kept on going down the road. Never yet got stuck driving it.

The downside was they wouldn't let me come back the same way, the road was closed. So I had to go on a massive detour to get home.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 5:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I am 54miles from the center of south lake tahoe and can tell you now, and I am sure Colorado will be the same you are going to want a decent 4x4 ski chains are not going to cut it, yes I have driven in Austria with chains in a blizzard etc etc.............why suffer and to be honest I have seen so many cars with chains sitting on the side of the road stuck or slidding out of control.

Also remember the cost of an SUV 4x4 is going to be way cheaper here in the US not only to buy but the gas is affordable compared to the UK, even buy a little old banger

Below is a link of our expenses for the season can't wait

http://www.snow.com/epic-pass/bestoftahoe.aspx
Check on the mountains....sure, might be needed in some areas, but not in others. Would be massive over kill for Sugarloaf or any other big tourist hot spot where they clear the roads really well :/
Old Oct 17th 2013, 8:22 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Im sure keeping snow chains in the car will be a good idea in Colorado, especially if they are the quick fit version. There are 4 of us so looks like skiing could be pretty darn expensive

A'basin is already open and Loveland opened today. The passes will depend on which resorts you want to go to and other restrictions. See if anyone still does a 'buddy pass'. Obviously the weekends get packed and also when the tourists head over ...

Chains aren't really needed in CO, except if you plan to be driving a lorry to the slopes. Things would have to be pretty severe for non-commercial vehicles to have to chain up; in those cases, don't bother driving and besides, they'll more than likely close the road and highway. They generally do a good job with the plowing the roads esp up by the divide. You can get away w/o snow tires but the added benefit of them is that they do improve braking distances. You should be fine with regular all-seasons; and even a fwd car. The annoyance of SUV drivers around here is that they think they're impervious to the elements, become Meatloaf fans and drive like a bat out of hell because they think they have four wheel stop, too. You'll see more SUV's in the ditch on the side of the road than cars. Yeah for winter....

Last edited by Tarkak9; Oct 17th 2013 at 8:25 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 9:01 pm
Fort Collins, Colorado

Thanks Tarka, sounds like you are in Colorado...which part?
Thanks, for all the info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.