British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Skiing near Washington DC (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/skiing-near-washington-dc-907756/)

SteveSweet Jan 10th 2018 12:32 am

Skiing near Washington DC

Evening all,

Inspired by Brandy07's thread, I'd appreciate recommendations for ski resorts close to DC (3 or 4 hours driving), for a couple of days skiing this Feb. We'll be four adults and one three year old, ranging from non-skiers up to expert.

Ski-in/ski-out accommodation will be a big plus, to allow the skiers and non-skiers to meet-up easily for lunch etc.

The resorts I've looked at are:

-Wisp, MD

Pocono Mts:
-Camelback, PA
-Blue Mountain, PA

-Elk Mountain, PA

-Snowshoe, WV

All advice appreciated!
Thanks,

Steve

ottotheboar Jan 10th 2018 1:09 pm

Re: Skiing near Washington DC

Two ski places near us not a million miles from you are Massanutten and Wintergreen, Massanutten has an indoor water park if you have younger ones and a buffet restaurant. Wintergreen is surrounded by breweries, wineries, distilleries and at least one meadery.
I have no idea about the skiing as I as more disposed to the Caribbean this time of year.

MtbbikeVanlife Jan 10th 2018 1:10 pm

So, my experience of the ski resorts is actually as Downhill Mountain Biking resorts.... But Snowshoe sounds to be what you are looking for. The resort is at the top of the mountain (a lot of East Coast resorts do this) and you ski straight from your accommodation ! Bars & restaurants all look good and plenty of non skiing activities available for those that don't want to ski.

You might also want to consider Bryce as it is just 20 minutes or so off the I81 and depending on where you are actually based you may be able to do it as a day trip.

Carl.

newadventure Jan 10th 2018 1:39 pm

Hello Steve,
We spent a 4-5 days at Snowshoe over Christmas a couple of years ago. We stayed at the bottom of the mountain and drove up each day which worked ok for us. Your experience will probably depend on what you have done before - my wife and i have skied a fair amount in the large French resorts and had skied all the runs at Snowshoe by lunch on the first day. We slowed down a bit after that. Only the second time the kids had skied and they loved it

BigK Jan 10th 2018 3:23 pm

For day trips there are several as you've listed...Liberty, Whitetail, snowshoe (these are all about 1.5 hours from downtown DC)

For 2-3 days, the good ones are:
Wintergreen, VA
Deep Creek Lake, MD

All these places are set up so the skiers and non can catch up and meet at certain points

SteveSweet Jan 12th 2018 11:50 am

Thanks all, for the advice. There certainly seem to be a few single day options to try, when there's been a big snowfall.

I think we'll try Wisp (Deep Creek Lake, MD). Not expecting spectacular skiing, but some nice scenery and a few gentle slopes will work for us this time.
I'm looking forward to trying Snowshoe too.

BigK Jan 12th 2018 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by SteveSweet (Post 12417229)
Thanks all, for the advice. There certainly seem to be a few single day options to try, when there's been a big snowfall.

I think we'll try Wisp (Deep Creek Lake, MD). Not expecting spectacular skiing, but some nice scenery and a few gentle slopes will work for us this time.
I'm looking forward to trying Snowshoe too.

Even if there isnt a big snowfall, these places make their snow so its always ok to go. The convenience of being so close to the city is great for taking quick day trips to keep the kids skiing.

Yes, while Deep creek or Wintergreen wont provide Switzerland or Colorado style skiing, there are plenty of easy and hard slopes to keep everyone happy