Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Skiing in lake Tahoe

Skiing in lake Tahoe

Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Simon Clarke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skiing in lake Tahoe

HI everyone in the USA, I am getting married in Italy in August and all my previous threads have been via the Italian forum. However, i am not saying we are popular! But we are going to a wedding in clear water after flying into Orlando.

We were intending to stay on and do the typical Theme Park holiday for a week. But I have noticed that there appears to be good skiing in April in California. We could fly out around the 10th of April.

Any advice guys re good snow and travel tips.

Thanks

Simon
Old Feb 6th 2013, 7:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skiing in lake Tahoe

Lake Tahoe is absolutely gorgeous for skiing. I've been there many times (but only once in the winter for skiing...I'll never forget it).

Have fun!

Rene
Old Feb 6th 2013, 7:52 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We have stayed at The Ridge Tahoe a few times, they have a small ski lift that takes you to the main one to go and ski at heavenly. So no need to drive anywhere to ski. It's lovely up there.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

So far this year, there were early storms in November and December but little since then. Depending on the snow conditions, some resorts can stay open as late as mid June but usually the latest is the end of May with some closing earlier.

Although there can be good storms as late as mid April, February and March seems to be the best chance of getting good snow.

If you are looking for good powder skiing, mid April will likely be too late. By mid April, normally the snow pack is still good with temperatures dropping below freezing over night but days generally are sunny with temperatures getting at or above 60° F during the day. During that time, you will likely see many people skiing without jackets or even in bathing suits.

http://www.onthesnow.com/lake-tahoe/skireport.html

Last edited by Michael; Feb 6th 2013 at 8:37 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Michael pretty much summed it up - the snow pack was way above average but it's been a little warm up here right now. Next storm Friday, but it's not necessarily bringing a low of snow. That said, I've seen some rather epic storms in February and March around here and for some reason it seems to snow around Memorial Day around here, too.

Heavenly is a good bet, several ski buffs I work with also like Kirkwood, plus you have Squaw Valley and Mount Rose. Plus probably a couple of other ones I forgot.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We have stayed at The Ridge Tahoe a few times, they have a small ski lift that takes you to the main one to go and ski at heavenly. So no need to drive anywhere to ski. It's lovely up there.
It's a small world! We have a timeshare in the tower at the Ridge. Definitely a great place for ski-ing Heavenly.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 5:11 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
Michael pretty much summed it up - the snow pack was way above average but it's been a little warm up here right now. Next storm Friday, but it's not necessarily bringing a low of snow. That said, I've seen some rather epic storms in February and March around here and for some reason it seems to snow around Memorial Day around here, too.

Heavenly is a good bet, several ski buffs I work with also like Kirkwood, plus you have Squaw Valley and Mount Rose. Plus probably a couple of other ones I forgot.
Heavenly is truly fabulous and I personally preferred it to Squaw. Late season skiing is a mixed bag and you can end up with mashed potato slush or California concrete (ice pack) which can make things a bit challenging. If there are some late snow storms, it should be good.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

As PPs have said, it is a bit of a gamble. It totally depends on the snow at the time, if possible, the best bet would be to wait and see how much snow we get in March and early April.
Squaw typically closes mid-end April, but the resort has been known to extend by a couple of weeks if there is a late snow dump.
We go up often (roughly every two weeks) during the season but typically things start to tail off at the beginning of April. I'd not recommend it as "great skiing" and definitely not a certainty. On the other hand is a beautiful place to go and visit.
Have you looked into Colorado/Utah skiing? I've no idea but I'm guessing their season might be longer and it has the advantage of being marginally closer to Florida