Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Six-month filing extension

Six-month filing extension

Old Feb 15th 2018, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Six-month filing extension

Originally Posted by robin1234
As a matter of principle, I don't spend my money on paper and ink to print IRS forms. Also, I like to have the 1040 instructions in paper - and I'm certainly not going to print that off myself...
Paper? Ink? What's that??
Old Feb 15th 2018, 7:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

As a matter of principle, ....
Life would be easier if you didn't have principles!
Old Feb 16th 2018, 1:34 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Life would be easier if you didn't have principles!
When I wrote that I somehow knew you'd comment!!
Old Feb 16th 2018, 1:40 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

We went to a public library in a nearby town, they had all the forms and instructions, state and IRS, in copious quantities. So now I have everything I need, I'll do the 1040 tomorrow. Should go pretty smoothly, as we don't have anything new this year
Old Feb 16th 2018, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

We went to a public library in a nearby town, they had all the forms and instructions, state and IRS, in copious quantities. So now I have everything I need, I'll do the 1040 tomorrow. Should go pretty smoothly, as we don't have anything new this year
Or just get bored and e-file in 30 minutes tonight.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 12:28 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by tom169
Or just get bored and e-file in 30 minutes tonight.
The eventual submission to IRS is a 1040, a Schedule B (and on occasions, some other supporting form or schedule.) Since I have last year's 1040 to guide me, I find the easiest and most direct way to file is simply manually fill in the 1040. Total cost is one first class stamp.

As I see it, the main time saving in using TurboTax or similar is you don't have to do the arithmetic, and you also don't have to do any of the "worksheets" that are contained within the 1040 instructions. But, since I've used the pen/paper method for the last several years, I find it easiest.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 3:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The eventual submission to IRS is a 1040, a Schedule B (and on occasions, some other supporting form or schedule.) Since I have last year's 1040 to guide me, I find the easiest and most direct way to file is simply manually fill in the 1040. Total cost is one first class stamp.

As I see it, the main time saving in using TurboTax or similar is you don't have to do the arithmetic, and you also don't have to do any of the "worksheets" that are contained within the 1040 instructions. But, since I've used the pen/paper method for the last several years, I find it easiest.
You may also be a Luddite.