British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Sirius or XM satelite radio? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/sirius-xm-satelite-radio-320055/)

Pimpbot Aug 14th 2005 9:01 pm

Sirius or XM satelite radio?

Who has Satelite radio here? I just bought a Sirius receiver for the SUV, mainly for Howard Stern when he moves, the NFL and the Beeb world service.

How easy is this thing to install?

Sue Aug 14th 2005 9:11 pm

Re: Sirius or XM satelite radio?

We got Sirius a couple of months ago, mainly because of Radio 1 which they started transmitting a few days ago. Love the variety and quality of the channels. Currently have only got it in the house, (sportster receiver), although it also came with a car kit which we've yet to set up.

Get a great signal in the house.

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Who has Satellite radio here? I just bought a Sirius receiver for the SUV, mainly for Howard Stern when he moves, the NFL and the Beeb world service.

How easy is this thing to install?

snowbunny Aug 14th 2005 9:14 pm

How much initially and per month?

anotherlimey Aug 14th 2005 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Sue
We got Sirius a couple of months ago, mainly because of Radio 1 which they started transmitting a few days ago. Love the variety and quality of the channels. Currently have only got it in the house, (sportster receiver), although it also came with a car kit which we've yet to set up.

Get a great signal in the house.

Is Radio 1 on a time lag?

snowbunny Aug 14th 2005 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey

My mate's show is on at night so I wouldn't miss it if it were live....

anotherlimey Aug 14th 2005 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
My mate's show is on at night so I wouldn't miss it if it were live....

You listen on satellite or streaming?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4138742.stm

Sue Aug 14th 2005 9:30 pm

Yes, 5 hours.

Originally Posted by anotherlimey

Sue Aug 14th 2005 9:33 pm

Sportster receiver and speakers $150 (then there was a $50 mail-in rebate). Monthly subscription is $12.95 but you can get it cheaper if you sign up for a contract of a year or more.

Originally Posted by snowbunny
How much initially and per month?

Pimpbot Aug 14th 2005 9:43 pm

I got the Starmate for $50.00 after a mail in rebate from Best Buy. Bargin!

FlyergirlUK Aug 14th 2005 9:56 pm

Got the same deal as Pimpbot but through RadioShack so bought receivers for both me 'n' Hubs.

Was easy as hell to install - I did both of them for us.

Pimpbot Aug 14th 2005 10:21 pm

Now if only Sirius's registration site would work. :rolleyes:

Pimpbot Aug 14th 2005 11:26 pm

I'm all set up. The install was a doddle and saved me $40 dollars that Best Buy would have done it for. :D just listened to Chris Moyles and the BBC world service.

HoosierDaddy Aug 15th 2005 8:04 pm

To have it in the motor, do you need a "satellite-ready" car stereo or will an existing radio be good enough? (ie, does it tune to a certain FM frequency on an older radio?).

I'm swithering whether to get XM or Sirius. One has NFL and another has MLB. I think I'll go for Sirius (NFL, right?). I've got some of 'em on my Dish Network and they are superb.

Yorkieabroad Aug 15th 2005 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
To have it in the motor, do you need a "satellite-ready" car stereo or will an existing radio be good enough? (ie, does it tune to a certain FM frequency on an older radio?).

I'm swithering whether to get XM or Sirius. One has NFL and another has MLB. I think I'll go for Sirius (NFL, right?). I've got some of 'em on my Dish Network and they are superb.

No idea about XM versus Sirius, but just bought an XM receiver from eCost.com for $4.99 after mail in rebate. Figured if its crap, its only 5 bucks....

cabritpop Aug 15th 2005 10:41 pm

I would say Sirius just for the Stern show, but I wonder if it will still be as funny with too much bad language added in. I have listened to one of the XM comedy live shows and it has a lot of the F word and it was utter crap. I wonder if Stern is going to go "roy chubby brown" on us. I'm not offended by such language but sometimes it's not funny.

I listen to coast to coast am, a late night show and its on XM but is remaining on terrestrial radio.
Maybe they will merge services at some point to pay Stern his $500,000,000.

A lot of what is on satellite radio is crap anyway maybe you are better off with an mp3 player, Stern mentioned a few weeks ago about having downloads of his show also but I didn't catch the whole deal.