Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SIPP Pension Funds

SIPP Pension Funds

Old May 18th 2007, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

bgreaves1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SIPP Pension Funds

Does anyone have experience with buying a SIPP pension fund? I live in Arizona, and I am thinking of transfering my UK pension fund to a SIPP, using a US-based company (Kestrel International) to advise and help me. Any thoughts, experiences, ideas would be most welcome. Thanks.
Old May 18th 2007, 11:34 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SIPP Pension Funds

Originally Posted by bgreaves1
Does anyone have experience with buying a SIPP pension fund? I live in Arizona, and I am thinking of transfering my UK pension fund to a SIPP, using a US-based company (Kestrel International) to advise and help me. Any thoughts, experiences, ideas would be most welcome. Thanks.
You can do it yourself, without a third party. Just transfer your private pension to a web access UK SIPP. You can't add anything if you're resident over here, but you can invest whatever is already in the plans almost wherever you want on the UK markets.
Old May 19th 2007, 12:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

there was a thread a while back on this, but pretty much said what FB said as as i recall.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Kestrelbms is an unknown quantity at this point

Oooh! Be very careful about a do-it-yorself SIPP. There's a huge choice and costs can be hidden and end up costing more than going through a good advisor. Of course, I work for Kestrel.............but as I say, be careful!
Old Aug 10th 2007, 9:54 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kestrelbms
Oooh! Be very careful about a do-it-yorself SIPP. There's a huge choice and costs can be hidden and end up costing more than going through a good advisor. Of course, I work for Kestrel.............but as I say, be careful!
And what extra protection would I get from a good advisor? Apart from more commission, of course. Also, how can I tell a good advisor from a bad one?
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

agedgrandad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bgreaves1
Fatbrit
I've only recently joined BE. Have been trawling through old threads and came across your query last May about SIPPS. Did you decide to transfer to a SIPP. If so, I'd be interested to pick your brains about the US tax treatment of pension payments received from the SIPP.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:50 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by agedgrandad
Fatbrit
I've only recently joined BE. Have been trawling through old threads and came across your query last May about SIPPS. Did you decide to transfer to a SIPP. If so, I'd be interested to pick your brains about the US tax treatment of pension payments received from the SIPP.
Not got to the tax stage yet because I'm not that old! But my belief is that they will be taxed in the US as regular income. They should be free of UK tax if you don't live there. However, I'm neither a tax professional nor a pension professional.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:15 am
Just Joined

topcat10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ex PatSIPP Pension Funds

Advantages of ExPatSIPP

- Designed specifically for UK Expatriates who have pensions left in the UK and who are working abroad (ex UK).

- “Frozen” Approved UK pensions may be transferred into ExPatSipp in their entirety.

- No compulsory requirement to purchase an annuity

- Broad range of assets eligible for investment.

- Suitable for consolidating a number of small pension schemes left in UK.

- Highly competitive fee, open charging structure.

- Tax free lump sum of 30% with deferral of pension payments.

- Take pension and continue to work.

- Competitive rates of interest on all cash balances regardless of size.

- Withdrawal subject to current Manx marginal rate (of 18%) and £2,500 p a allowance- as opposed to UK marginal rates of up to 40%.

- Reduces potential tax liability after drawdown and death of Member and spouse from up to 83% (55% unauthorised payment charge and 40% IHT) to a mandatory 7.5%.

- 7.5% charge only payable once all pension payments to final dependents cease.

- Ability to invest additional funds either as a lump sum or regular payments.

- All assets held in segregated nominee accounts offering investor protection.

- No longer is Isle of Man Residency a pre-requisite for Scheme set-up

- Member may return to UK or remain an expatriate during working life/or Retirement.
<<snip>>[/url]

Last edited by Bob; Sep 19th 2008 at 7:07 pm. Reason: Thanks for the info, but it's not an opportunity to spam for business, read the site rules please