Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Single sex schools?

Single sex schools?

Old Apr 3rd 2007, 5:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Single sex schools?

Bit random I know, but the local news, some people were kicking up a stink because Simmon's College invited Ron Jeremy to give a talk, and it's an all girls uni out in Boston...which made me realise, there's actually quite a few of them around, Wellesley down the road, and a few others.

The missus went to one in PA, Cedar Crest...seem's more female schools than for blokes, but there was a all male uni in PA as well.

Just wondered what your thoughts of them were, and if there are a few in your neck of the woods? And there many in other countries you've been in?
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single sex schools?

Originally Posted by Bob
Bit random I know, but the local news, some people were kicking up a stink because Simmon's College invited Ron Jeremy to give a talk, and it's an all girls uni out in Boston...which made me realise, there's actually quite a few of them around, Wellesley down the road, and a few others.

The missus went to one in PA, Cedar Crest...seem's more female schools than for blokes, but there was a all male uni in PA as well.

Just wondered what your thoughts of them were, and if there are a few in your neck of the woods? And there many in other countries you've been in?
I would think Traci Lord would be a better role model for young ladies.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 6:13 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

I've always been impressed by the women I've met that went to the Seven Sister schools and if I had a daughter I'd hope that she could go to Mt.Holyoke, Smith etc. although my wallet wouldn't be too happy about it. In my opinion the Seven Sisters is one of the best things about the US.

Places like VMI and the Citidel used to be all male, but in general I think single sex education for men is a bad thing, even catholic seminaries have issues. Maybe the Shaolin Temple is the only good single sex male school. Basically single sex education for women seems to produce bright, intelligent, and well adjusted graduates, I don't think the same can be said for men - they need the civilizing influence of women.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 6:17 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

is he recruiting for a new film then

Can't see the problem with it. Theres a single sex one nearby to us which always appears empty .

Where i grew up in Gloucestershire they were 10 a penny. OH went to one, so did both my sisters (i was the family thickie and got to go to a mixed sex secondary school ).
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 6:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
I would think Traci Lord would be a better role model for young ladies.
hehe..aye....certainly something different, wonder if he'll bring any props
Old Apr 15th 2007, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Aabryn will become famous soon enoughAabryn will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Single sex schools?

Great topic!

My biggest beef with the education system in America is the fact that there are so many co-ed schools and I can't think of a single all-boy or all-girl school in the public school system.

And that seriously pisses me off. I've attended over a dozen different schools in several states in the US, and its astonishing how little anyone cares about the quality of education in this country.

Even worse, the US surpasses every other country, maintaining a strong lead with 34% of all teenage girls in America becoming pregnant at least once by the age of 20.

And of course, who is to blame?
Britney Spears. That's who.

Forget the fact that these kids are allowed to dress like prostitutes and attend class with the opposite sex during their post-pubescent years. Surely the fact that they are unchaperoned for hours after school while their parents are at work is of no issue... its not like they can be expected to know exactly where their children are 24/7.

What's really sad is that college is more of a time to have fun in the eyes of American students than it is about academics or opportunity to take part in ground-breaking research, etc... So to have few single-sex facilities is no real shocker there.

But so help me if one more lazy, ignorant parent blames the television they put in their own homes or the teen magazines they allow their kids to buy for the fact that little 13 year old Ashley got busted giving head to a boy in the bathroom during lunch . . . I swear I'm going to die of frustration.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 3:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Aabryn
My biggest beef with the education system in America is the fact that there are so many co-ed schools and I can't think of a single all-boy or all-girl school in the public school system.

And that seriously pisses me off.
eerr...why does it piss you off? And there are quite a few single sex schools around, well up in Maine, which I think is a bit odd.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 4:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

What does sex have to do with this title??? Me thinks it should have been single gender schools. Unless, of course, you are talking homosexual relations.

Originally Posted by Bob

Old Apr 16th 2007, 8:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Rete
What does sex have to do with this title??? Me thinks it should have been single gender schools. Unless, of course, you are talking homosexual relations.
errr....because that's what they're called if they ain't co-ed...
Old Apr 18th 2007, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Aabryn will become famous soon enoughAabryn will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bob
eerr...why does it piss you off? And there are quite a few single sex schools around, well up in Maine, which I think is a bit odd.
Public schools? Hrm... perhaps, but I highly doubt that... I mean, sure there are a plenty of schools that are all-boy or all-girl but in the US, those are almost always private or charter schools. Even those that claim to be "public" are not part of the public schools system, and not open for enrollment for just anyone. In fact, I believe there may be a law of some sort prohibiting any public school in the US from limiting enrollment based on gender, race, etc...

Which, I don't think should be overturned... segregation is bad. Usually. Except, in my opinion, when its a matter of segregating a bunch of hormone-crazed and poorly supervised teenage boys and girls from each other. In which case, it seems like that should be an obvious measure to take. I don't even care really about whether they end up screwing and getting knocked up- what bothers me is that during the years that it is the most crucial, instead of being interested or focused on academics, kids are focused on dating and sex...
It just seems like if thats what their parents want for them, it could just as easily wait until after they get off school... They still have the rest of the day to flirt and act horny. School should be for learning.

And if you think about it, it effects the rest of the country, the rest of the world even- because where do the innovative breakthroughs in science and technology occur? Universities. The better prepared the kids are, the better off the rest of the world is. And its hard to advance when so many of your youth end up dropping out to raise a child before they graduate, making them another burden on society's welfare and tax dollars, instead of going to college contributing intellectually.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 4:23 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

I went to an all-girls convent school, nuns and everything. Not having boys around didn't make a difference. We were still hormone crazed, segregated or not. What it did do was allow us girls to finely tune our hunt and kill skills. That is it built our confidence as women as we didn't have spotty, gangly teenage boys teasing us on a daily basis. But when they did cross our paths, strategies had been discussed and tactics developed that enabled us to hunt in packs and conquer. And boy were we good!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
I went to an all-girls convent school, nuns and everything. Not having boys around didn't make a difference. We were still hormone crazed, segregated or not. What it did do was allow us girls to finely tune our hunt and kill skills. That is it built our confidence as women as we didn't have spotty, gangly teenage boys teasing us on a daily basis. But when they did cross our paths, strategies had been discussed and tactics developed that enabled us to hunt in packs and conquer. And boy were we good!
LOL the convent side might have had something to do with that,

I went to an all girls school & I am very glad I did. Unlike my sisters' co-ed schools, we were pushed academically far more than the co-ed schools & highly encouraged to do subjects, such as science & maths, that my sisters were encouraged not to take because they were "boys subjects". What tosh!

Where our confidence was built was in encouraging us to believe in ourselves, believe whatever a man can do academically & as a career, we could do too.

I'd love to send my kids to single sex schools!
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:12 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
LOL the convent side might have had something to do with that,

I went to an all girls school & I am very glad I did. Unlike my sisters' co-ed schools, we were pushed academically far more than the co-ed schools & highly encouraged to do subjects, such as science & maths, that my sisters were encouraged not to take because they were "boys subjects". What tosh!

Where our confidence was built was in encouraging us to believe in ourselves, believe whatever a man can do academically & as a career, we could do too.

I'd love to send my kids to single sex schools!
LOl! I was 19 0r 20 when I first heard that sciences were 'boy's subjects'. Couldn't get my head around it. But besides an O level in chemistry I can also lay a table for a 15 course meal and run a mean centerpiece. A balanced education I'd say
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
LOl! I was 19 0r 20 when I first heard that sciences were 'boy's subjects'. Couldn't get my head around it. But besides an O level in chemistry I can also lay a table for a 15 course meal and run a mean centerpiece. A balanced education I'd say
ROFL! I didn't get any education in anything like that LOL. I did do one year of Home Economics & a few lessons in sewing but I was crap at both. Still am.