Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Single mum in NYC?

Single mum in NYC?

Old Aug 9th 2004, 4:39 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Single mum in NYC?

[QUOTE=jaxindhaka]Hmm - complicated. I'm not in the UK now, and nor is my ex, and he doesn't plan to return there. I don't think there is any question of him looking after the kids, and he assumes they will be with me.

Two are already at boarding school in the UK; my youngest is six and would probably board as soon as possible.

QUOTE]

At what age will you be sending your youngest to boarding school? My husband's colleague's daughter was in the same class as my son in his British school in Singapore. As soon as she was seven years old she was sent to boarding school (near Ascot, I think). All the other parents were astonished and saddened that she had been sent away at such a young age.

Ironically, at the day & boarding school my eldest daughter attended (UWCSEA) they stopped taking young boarders....they found that the trend had changed and parents wanted their children to be with them for as long as possible, so they stopped taking boarders below the age of 11. Likewise when my daughter went to board at school in England for her "A" levels, they only take them from the age of 11+.

Will your husband remain in Bangladesh or elsewhere in Asia? How will you deal with the logistics of your children seeing one parent in the US and one possibly in Asia, whilst they're resident in England?
Old Aug 9th 2004, 4:50 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Single mum in NYC?

Originally Posted by Chopper-Chris
Really, look in Jersey, your bank account will be much healthier, as will your lungs and ears!

apart from all the down sides to living in the city, most of which we have mentioned, you should experience living here at least once in your lifetime, its an amazing city and you'll never be bored...especially in the summer months, there is always a free concert, play, dance show, movie and many other things to do in all the city parks and squares. The city that never sleeps, whoever said that was right on the money.
Huh. We went into Brooklyn yesterday (train to Hoboken, then NY Waterway Ferry & Watertaxi) to DUMBO for the Singapore Chili Crab & Tiger Beer Festival. It was basically a zoo there, a nightmare to try and get something to eat and drink. We retreated to a quiet cafe-bar a few blocks away....

Chris: You might want to check out Maplewood and neighbouring suburb of South Orange in NJ if you're looking for a residence in the suburbs....Midtown Direct trains to Manhatten and if you want the Financial District then you can take the train to Hoboken then PATH or NY Waterway ferry. Maplewood is lovely...like a London village...and lots of artists/writers/journos/TV & Media people there (and those with alternative lifestyles too!). Newark airport is only 12-15 mins away) It's the next town to where I live but my town (Short Hills, part of Millburn) is too pricey and we're here purely for the #1 rated public school in the State. Check out:

http://www.maplewoodonline.com
Old Aug 9th 2004, 4:55 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice
Default Re: Single mum in NYC?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Huh. We went into Brooklyn yesterday (train to Hoboken, then NY Waterway Ferry & Watertaxi) to DUMBO for the Singapore Chili Crab & Tiger Beer Festival. It was basically a zoo there, a nightmare to try and get something to eat and drink. We retreated to a quiet cafe-bar a few blocks away....

Chris: You might want to check out Maplewood and neighbouring suburb of South Orange in NJ if you're looking for a residence in the suburbs....Midtown Direct trains to Manhatten and if you want the Financial District then you can take the train to Hoboken then PATH or NY Waterway ferry. Maplewood is lovely...like a London village...and lots of artists/writers/journos/TV & Media people there (and those with alternative lifestyles too!). Newark airport is only 12-15 mins away) It's the next town to where I live but my town (Short Hills, part of Millburn) is too pricey and we're here purely for the #1 rated public school in the State. Check out:

http://www.maplewoodonline.com

Thanks Mum!

I will
Old Aug 15th 2004, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

jaxindhaka is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Englishmum

Not sure what age I'll send my littlest; her older brother boarded at 10, my middle son is 8 and a half, and starting boarding next month (at his request, he is fed up with his friends being moved on and wants some continuity).

She is a "little madam", so will certainly need a fairly structured school with an emphasis on good behaviour - academically v. bright, I think, so no worries there. I have my eye on one of the Sacred Heart schools in Manhattan for the time being; but she could board with her brother for not much more money! Howeber, his school will not take boarders until past their 8th birthday, which gives us until Sept. 2006 at least.

I take your point about young boarders - they need a school which has 100% committment to that age group, especially with parents overseas. But there are some very good ones.

My husband will remain in Asia - doesn't like the UK, doesn't want to pay tax, and he works in development so his contracts tend to be in developing countries. I think he will visit us for holidays, which is what happens now. Apart from anything else, I need the childcare in the school hols while I have to work!

You say ypu have a child/children in the Public school system - what has your experience been, compared with UK or International schools?
Old Aug 15th 2004, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by jaxindhaka
Hi, Englishmum

Not sure what age I'll send my littlest; her older brother boarded at 10, my middle son is 8 and a half, and starting boarding next month (at his request, he is fed up with his friends being moved on and wants some continuity).

She is a "little madam", so will certainly need a fairly structured school with an emphasis on good behaviour - academically v. bright, I think, so no worries there. I have my eye on one of the Sacred Heart schools in Manhattan for the time being; but she could board with her brother for not much more money! Howeber, his school will not take boarders until past their 8th birthday, which gives us until Sept. 2006 at least.

I take your point about young boarders - they need a school which has 100% committment to that age group, especially with parents overseas. But there are some very good ones.

My husband will remain in Asia - doesn't like the UK, doesn't want to pay tax, and he works in development so his contracts tend to be in developing countries. I think he will visit us for holidays, which is what happens now. Apart from anything else, I need the childcare in the school hols while I have to work!

You say ypu have a child/children in the Public school system - what has your experience been, compared with UK or International schools?
My daughter didn't attend school in the US as she was 16 when we relocated here. My son had just finished his primary education (Year 6) in his school in Singapore (Tanglin Trust School) and went straight into Middle School (Grade 6) here in the States. He just didn't want to go to boarding school in England so we weren't going to force him....I've met too many screwed up adults who were sent to boarding schools in England and Australia who hated it and have still got a chip on their shoulder about it and would never consider sending their children to board. I just didn't want to damage the relationship with our son. (On the other hand of course I know people who've enjoyed their boarding school experience).

On the other hand, our daughter went to board at a later age (16-18) but as she was used to living in a city environment, we knew a rural school would have been a disaster for her. She went to a day and boarding school in Oxford and despite some teething troubles at first, she settled down and is now at uni...but she has a completely different character to her younger brother.

My son settled in really quickly at the Middle School here and greatly enjoys his experience of American life...he particularly enjoys being able to go snowboarding in the Winter (the nearest mountains are just an hour away but we also go to some very quiet ski trails in Upstate New York for the day) and is into sports (season ticket holder for the NJ Devils ice hockey team) so enjoys going to watch a game of baseball and plays golf and football/soccer. We're in a very affluent suburb - parents tend to be investment bankers, CEOs, attorneys, heart surgeons etc. and unlike the UK and Oz/NZ it's very common for upper-middle class families to send their children to the public school system.....our township schools are entirely funded by the town's taxpayers (eg. council tax/rates) so the schools are well funded by affluent homeowners. Our town has many Jewish and Asian (Chinese and some Korean) families who revere a quality education and the school district is No. 1 in the State (New Jersey), with many pupils going on to the Ivy League universities.