British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Single cream / Double cream (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/single-cream-double-cream-819870/)

insight2013 Jan 1st 2014 2:37 pm

Single cream / Double cream

Hi all,

I am living in Florida since november and I am striggling to find single and double cream like in the UK. How can i find them? Are they sour cream? i dont find them with the same name as in the UK.

thanks!

PS: Happy new year 2014!

Weeze Jan 1st 2014 2:50 pm

Re: Single cream / Double cream

Heavy whipping cream is the closest to double cream, but it's no where near as thick.

Speedwell Jan 1st 2014 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Weeze (Post 11058516)
Heavy whipping cream is the closest to double cream, but it's no where near as thick.

Maybe "crema Mexicana" will have the correct thickness and flavor. It is a fresh, thick cream. (Do not buy "crema Salvadorena" instead, as it is a soured cream.)

Pulaski Jan 1st 2014 3:09 pm

Sour cream is something totally different, and, as in the UK, is something closer to youghurt (soured) than any fresh cream suitable for desserts.

insight2013 Jan 1st 2014 3:28 pm

Thanks!... I usually use single/double cream for cooking. i'll try all your suggestions.

Thanks

Sally Redux Jan 1st 2014 4:12 pm

Trader Joe's does a non-UHT cream which is more like what we're used to.

Speedwell Jan 1st 2014 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11058617)
Trader Joe's does a non-UHT cream which is more like what we're used to.

I have bought that. It is similar to the HEB "heavy whipping cream", so anyone near one of the HEB stores can get that, I guess.

Sheepdip Jan 2nd 2014 3:01 pm

Think I've seen them in Whole Foods?

ChocolateBabz Jan 2nd 2014 4:28 pm

Central Markets organic heavy cream is pretty good and can be picked up at HEB, slightly thicker and I think it tastes creamier.

shen050 Jan 2nd 2014 9:44 pm

Half and half is a good equivalent for single cream.

bugman Jan 20th 2014 11:55 pm

unfortunately you typically cannot get double cream or single cream in the USA. Iv'e learned to use heavy whipping as a substitute for either, I find that if you find a brand that has only cream as the ingredient, it can separate a bit into fattier cream on the top after a week or so unopened (the ones with carrageenan in for eg will not do this) you can scoop off the thicker top and whip it for scones, its close to double/clotted in consistency even if not yellow or as tasty.

You can find the little pots of imported double cream but its pasteurized so not great but still nice as a treat!

Speedwell Jan 21st 2014 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz (Post 11059924)
Central Markets organic heavy cream is pretty good and can be picked up at HEB, slightly thicker and I think it tastes creamier.

I will try that. I'm currently looking for a source of double cream that has been pasteurized only once or even not at all (since I will be cooking it anyway) and has no ingredients besides just cream. I want to try out a recipe for clotted cream I found that can be made in the slow cooker. I was thinking of asking at a farmer's market on the weekend; I can't just drive out to the middle of nowhere to a farm :)

ChocolateBabz Jan 21st 2014 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Speedwell (Post 11089326)
I will try that. I'm currently looking for a source of double cream that has been pasteurized only once or even not at all (since I will be cooking it anyway) and has no ingredients besides just cream. I want to try out a recipe for clotted cream I found that can be made in the slow cooker. I was thinking of asking at a farmer's market on the weekend; I can't just drive out to the middle of nowhere to a farm :)

I have sent you a PM, I know a man who knows a man....

I did the oven method and slow cooker method to try clotted cream with unpasturised cream. The slow cooker burned the edges even on low and I ended up with a very thin layer of rubbery cream on top of watery milk.

The oven fared better, I can't remember how long I had it on for (it seemed like days) but was probably 12-15 hours and it still didn't 'clot' properly. The small amount of thick cream that I skimmed off the top tasted cooked like condensed milk.

Let me know how you get on, I would love to find a method that works.