Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

singapore airlines bargains IAH - Manchester

singapore airlines bargains IAH - Manchester

Old Feb 19th 2017, 3:46 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: singapore airlines bargains IAH - Manchester

Originally Posted by mrken30
That's a long flight to be in economy. This will be my first time for years going direct from US to UK in economy. I don't have enough points to upgrade 4 people.
Long haul economy is fine, even for me at 6'4" tall. LHR - IAH was almost 11 hours on a B777-200 and no problems then.

Of course, I might have felt differently if I had been in a middle seat, but I still don't get why people are so snobby about travelling in economy.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 3:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Long haul economy is fine, even for me at 6'4" tall. LHR - IAH was almost 11 hours on a B777-200 and no problems then.

Of course, I might have felt differently if I had been in a middle seat, but I still don't get why people are so snobby about travelling in economy.
Agreed on all points. I am 6'5" and have enough room in transatlantic economy to stretch my legs all the way under the seat in front.

I am not sure I would ever spring (pay cash for) for an upgrade even if I was traveling alone, as I have better things to do with $500, never mind the cost of full BC tickets!
Old Feb 19th 2017, 4:08 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

On another note, if you have 2 separate tickets and your Manchester flight is late, and you miss your Flybe flight, you will need to purchase another ticket or pay for a ticket change.
and don't forget that Flybe's luggage allowance for both the hold and the cabin will be more restricted than Singapore Airlines. Check the cabin bag size very carefully and don't assume that you can have a handbag and a cabin bag. I once had to put my handbad inside my cabin bag or pay for it.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 7:02 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Different airline with no code share
Actually Flybe and Singapore do have a code share agreement (shown on the Flybe web site). For baggage to go seamlessly they need an Interline agreement. If they have a codeshare it would be unusual if they don't have an Interline agreement.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

On another note, if you have 2 separate tickets and your Manchester flight is late, and you miss your Flybe flight, you will need to purchase another ticket or pay for a ticket change.
Flybe is listed as a code share on Singapore Airlines website. And vice versa on Flybe. However Flybe gloats that your bags from points in UK to Manchester go onward with Singapore Airlines. Singapore Airlines only states it has a code share with Flybe. Having flown Flybe before, I do worry about the sizes, fees, etc. which kind of kills the whole airfare reduction.

Our tickets were purchased IAH to ABZ on Singapore Airlines website as what we thought one ticket!

Everyone flying from IAH gets off in Manchester?

Last edited by Bomjeito; Feb 20th 2017 at 4:31 am.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

My husband has now flown Houston to Aberdeen with Singapore airlines, changing at Manchester to connect to Aberdeen via Flybe.
He has the following feedback:
"Singapore airlines was very nice, new plane, nice seats, superb service, even in economy. It's nice to be treated like a human being, not cattle.
"When I checked in at Houston, I was asked if I had booked one ticket straight through as it wasn't on the Singapore airlines computer... I had the 'Travelport' document showing one booking and the check-in lady booked my bags through to Aberdeen.
"At Manchester T2, follow the signs for flight connections. A bus (eventually) takes you to T3, where you go through security (only one scanner, big queue) and then customs.
"the Flybe flight was nothing special, propeller driven puddle jumper, but my baggage was checked through all the way to Aberdeen.
"Would I use them again? Yes. but make sure you take a piece of paper with you to IAH which shows your complete booking."
Old Apr 24th 2017, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

kath1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Very useful info about flying IAH to ABZ via Manchester. Do you have any advice about the return journey? I will be flying ABZ to IAH ..starting off with Flybe to MAN..any info about how to transfer at Manchester to SA would be much appreciated...I assume I will have to pick up my SA boarding pass at MAN.
Thanks
Old May 24th 2017, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

kath1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kath1
Very useful info about flying IAH to ABZ via Manchester. Do you have any advice about the return journey? I will be flying ABZ to IAH ..starting off with Flybe to MAN..any info about how to transfer at Manchester to SA would be much appreciated...I assume I will have to pick up my SA boarding pass at MAN.
Thanks
Still hoping for some feedback about this leg of the journey..thanks
Old May 25th 2017, 10:54 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Jealous that they get to ride the new Airbus

That said, if it ain't a Boeing, I'm not going