British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Simpsons Removals UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/simpsons-removals-uk-196449/)

doctor scrumpy Dec 12th 2003 1:15 pm

Simpsons Removals UK

Anyone thinking of moving from the UK, I would NOT reccomend this company. Not only did they overcharge us, they also seem a bit lax in the delivery side. A 5-6 week delivery by Thanksgiving is looking like New Year at the earliest.

Piss poor company as far as we are concerned.

NC Penguin Dec 12th 2003 1:27 pm

Re: Simpsons Removals UK

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Anyone thinking of moving from the UK, I would NOT reccomend this company. Not only did they overcharge us, they also seem a bit lax in the delivery side. A 5-6 week delivery by Thanksgiving is looking like New Year at the earliest.

I'm not sure if this is the same company I have used (for business move). Is their logo one with a man in a top hat?

NC Penguin

Webbie Dec 12th 2003 2:26 pm

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Is their logo one with a man in a top hat?
No he doesn't have a hat.
http://www.marnin.com/images/homer/homerdoh.gif

Or you could use the Clumsy Student Movers.

UKLiz Dec 12th 2003 5:48 pm

Just wondering - how did they overcharge you? Did they not give you a quotation at the outset?

doctor scrumpy Dec 12th 2003 8:16 pm

Originally posted by UKLiz
Just wondering - how did they overcharge you? Did they not give you a quotation at the outset?

They quoted us for 40 cubic feet, I told them before they collected it was only 33 cubic feet of shipping. We were assured that they would adjust the quote accordingly. Seems they did not from the amount charged on Mary Ann's credit card. The annoying fact being they kept the stuff in storage in the UK for 3-4 weeks too. A right bunch of cowboys it seems.

AmerLisa Apr 26th 2004 10:54 pm

Had to boost this thread up, sorry to anyone not interested. We've moved over in January, Simpsons picked up our stuff January 19th, it was finally shipped over and arrived in New York on March 6th. Talked to the other company handling the American side of things - Global something or other - based in Florida. Our shipment - 30 boxes - was out of customs about week in a half later, it is still sitting in New York, almost 2 months later, waiting to be put on a flipping truck to be delivered to us in Oregon. I finally got to speak to someone else at the Florida place, and he told me our stuff hadn't been sitting there since March 6th, that it had been in customs for a month? Well ok, someone else is lying then. Then I called the week before Easter, well the dispatcher is convienently Jewish, seems they take the whole week off for Passover. Yeah ok, it just gets better and better. To date I've contacted Simpsons back in the UK - she's going to check on things and get back with me, I'm not holding my breath. Where in the heck do I go to complain? Oh by the way NEVER NEVER NEVER USE SIMPSONS!!!!!!!!!!! Just thought I'd add that little gem.

doctor scrumpy Apr 27th 2004 1:07 am

Originally posted by AmerLisa
Had to boost this thread up, sorry to anyone not interested. We've moved over in January, Simpsons picked up our stuff January 19th, it was finally shipped over and arrived in New York on March 6th. Talked to the other company handling the American side of things - Global something or other - based in Florida. Our shipment - 30 boxes - was out of customs about week in a half later, it is still sitting in New York, almost 2 months later, waiting to be put on a flipping truck to be delivered to us in Oregon. I finally got to speak to someone else at the Florida place, and he told me our stuff hadn't been sitting there since March 6th, that it had been in customs for a month? Well ok, someone else is lying then. Then I called the week before Easter, well the dispatcher is convienently Jewish, seems they take the whole week off for Passover. Yeah ok, it just gets better and better. To date I've contacted Simpsons back in the UK - she's going to check on things and get back with me, I'm not holding my breath. Where in the heck do I go to complain? Oh by the way NEVER NEVER NEVER USE SIMPSONS!!!!!!!!!!! Just thought I'd add that little gem.

Complain in writing to Kent trading standards

SecretGarden Apr 27th 2004 1:42 am

Hi,
I usually post only in the marriage based visas forum, but this thread caught my eye as my now-husband has had a very bad experience with a shipping company.

He contracted with 1st Move International and after many email and phone conversations thought he had made it clear that he was shipping loads of cast iron equipment which would take at least three men to load, possibly even needing a forklift.

The mover was four hours late, showed up on his own accompanied by his wife who was holding a clipboard on which to record the inventory.

His visa was issued, he was flying out in a couple of days and when he inquired about additional men to load the stuff, was told by the man "I'm the only one they sent, and if you want it on the boat this week, you'll need to help get it on the van." Since he was four hours late, all the men from my husband's company had left to go to lunch, and feeling pressured with no choice, he began to help the mover lift the equipment to take it to the van.

The mover lifted an end of the first piece (which weighed approximately 300 pounds) and before my husband could lift his end entirely, he started walking, pulling him off balance. The equipment then fell on my husband's hands, crushing them.

My husband is a true craftsman, works with his hands, and he went through five hours of reconstructive surgery during which the surgeon considered amputation. This incident occured 10 days before he was due to fly out to me in the US and activate his visa. Due to the excellent care he got in surgery and the fantastic follow up, this incident only delayed his arrival in the US by three weeks. The therapy here has been extensive, the medical care has been astronomically expensive, and my husband has had to deal with the potential loss of his career which he has been involved in since he was age 16.

We have a pending lawsuit against this company due to their negligence. I was in direct contact with their office managers and shipping managers while my husband was still in surgery and they knew, without a doubt, that they had done the wrong thing. Their demeanor was deplorable afterwards---never so much as a "how is he" after the accident.

Sorry to go on and on, but be very careful if dealing with 1st Move International.

~SecretGarden

P.S. The equipment and personal belongings are still sitting in a storage unit over there, and we will make arrangements with another company when he is physically and emotionally ready to deal with that phase. Any recommendations?

sibsie Apr 27th 2004 3:11 am

I'm still waiting on my shipment which should be here in a couple of weeks.

I ended up using GB Liners who've done 9 house moves for me including two international. They've always been great and I've never had a prob. Fingers crossed this one will be as good as all the others.

Scorchio Apr 27th 2004 12:50 pm

I used GB Liners, too. The UK side was great, but my boxes which arrived in Baltimore about six weeks ago have only just been moved to a warehouse in Houston - or so I'm told, after badgering them on the phone. I guess it's closer than Baltimore! I'm just waiting for this Houston company (Road Runner Removals & Storage?) to get in touch to arrange a delivery date. Last estimate was that my stuff would be delivered beginning of May, which isn't too far off!

Sorry to hear about your nightmare, SecretGarden - good luck with the lawsuit, although by the sounds of it, they haven't got a leg to stand on!

John Murray Apr 27th 2004 5:13 pm

Sorry to stray OT - but this thread reminded me of our own decision on Shipping, which we will need to make within the next week or so. We're thinking of using excess baggage (www.excess-baggage.com) We're taking mainly personal effects, CD's, clothes etc. Does anyone have any previous experience with this Company?

I was quoted just under £700 for air freighting 10 t-chest size boxes, door to door from Scotland to Texas. Delivery is 10-14 days (Sea freight was £580 but took 10 weeks to arrive)

Maggs Apr 27th 2004 5:54 pm

Hi

I have used Pickford/Allied twice and have had no problems at all. They have written or phoned every step of the way. Whatever they have said, they have done within the time frame given so I can't fault them. My first shipload was packed last June by them and arrived 8 weeks later with nothing broken and my next shipload arrives tomorrow April 28th (packed up on 3rd March), again 8 weeks exactly, so we'll see if they keep their good record up! I dealt with the Pickfords office in Birmingham, UK and their international shipping advisor was absolutely fantastic. I have received letters telling me where my consignement is several times in the last 8 weeks. For me it's a thumbs up for Pickfords/Allied.

Maggie

Tone Apr 27th 2004 7:40 pm

I used Interpack and they were excellent

Scorchio Apr 28th 2004 12:37 pm

Originally posted by me
I'm just waiting for this Houston company (Road Runner Removals & Storage?) to get in touch to arrange a delivery date.
And they did, yesterday afternoon, and they're supposed to be here today between 1:30 - 2:00pm with all my junk! Tonight I'll find out if that 2 mile roll of bubble wrap helped save any of it!
:D

sibsie Apr 28th 2004 2:26 pm

Good luck Scorchio. My stuff's due to arrive in Baltimore mid May.