Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Simple Green Card question

Simple Green Card question

Old May 25th 2006, 6:17 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Simple Green Card question

This came up during a conversation I had at lunchtime today...
Say someone entered the US perfectly legally, has been here for 30+ years but forgot to renew their green card a few years back - what is their current legal status ??
Can they just apply to have the card renewed now, or will there be complications as the old card expired years ago ??

Just curious as this isn't something that I'd thought about before.
Old May 25th 2006, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Simple Green Card question

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Say someone entered the US perfectly legally, has been here for 30+ years but forgot to renew their green card a few years back - what is their current legal status ??
Can they just apply to have the card renewed now, or will there be complications as the old card expired years ago ??

I believe older GCs didn't have an expiration date. I think there's no expiration date on GC cards issued between 1979-1988.

Last edited by Celsius; May 25th 2006 at 6:24 pm. Reason: Accurate info found
Old May 25th 2006, 6:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
I believe older GCs didn't have an expiration date. I think the expiration date has appeared on GC cards since the mid-90s or thereabouts.
A friend of mine has been here for 30+ yrs and has to renew her GC every 10 yrs.
Old May 25th 2006, 6:25 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
A friend of mine has been here for 30+ yrs and has to renew her GC every 10 yrs.
I think this person is similar except they haven't got round to renewing for a few years.
They started a new job recently and showed their GC to their new employer who pointed out that it had expired, but didn't seem to care anyway - I'm just wondering what the law says about this.
Old May 25th 2006, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Q. Do I need to renew my Green Card if it was issued between 1979 and 1988 and does not have an expiration date?

A. No. Green Cards issued between 1979 and 1988 do not have expiration dates and do not need to be renewed at this time. INS will develop an orderly plan for replacing these cards at a future time. (Note: If you obtained your Green Card before your 14th birthday and are now over 14, and your Green Card does not have an expiration date on it, you will still need to get a new card. You will need to go to your local INS District or Sub-Office—not an Application Support Center—and File a Form I-90, “Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.” However, you will not need to pay the $130 application fee. You will only need to pay the $50 fingerprinting fee.)

came from http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/public...EENCARD_QA.htm
Old May 25th 2006, 6:26 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

The old ones don't have an expiration date. Mine was 20 years old and a nice lady at immigration advised me to get a new one :scared:
They're going to eventually get round to everyone having the new 10 year ones. May take a while.
Old May 25th 2006, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Q. What will happen if I present an expired Green Card when I try to reenter the United States after traveling abroad, or when I obtain a new job, or when I apply for entitlement benefits?

Obtaining employment: While employers will not accept an expired Green Card to verify employment authorization for new hires, you may use other documents listed on the Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification Form), or the temporary proof of status you received when you submitted your renewal application.

from the same page I refered to earlier.
Old May 25th 2006, 6:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
Q. Do I need to renew my Green Card if it was issued between 1979 and 1988 and does not have an expiration date?

A. No. Green Cards issued between 1979 and 1988 do not have expiration dates and do not need to be renewed at this time. INS will develop an orderly plan for replacing these cards at a future time. (Note: If you obtained your Green Card before your 14th birthday and are now over 14, and your Green Card does not have an expiration date on it, you will still need to get a new card. You will need to go to your local INS District or Sub-Office—not an Application Support Center—and File a Form I-90, “Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.” However, you will not need to pay the $130 application fee. You will only need to pay the $50 fingerprinting fee.)

came from http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/public...EENCARD_QA.htm

My friend came here as a student and is now in her late 50's and she has just renewed her GC, so maybe her original GC has an expiry date on it.
Old May 25th 2006, 6:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

My friend came here as a student and is now in her late 50's and she has just renewed her GC, so maybe her original GC has an expiry date on it.

When we came here in 1996 she told me she had just been to Newark to get her GC renewed. So she has definitely renewed it every 10 yrs.
Old May 25th 2006, 6:47 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

If the green card expires, you're still hold LPR status.
Old May 25th 2006, 6:59 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by syllk
So that begs the question - what is the point of the card ??
Old May 25th 2006, 7:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

So that begs the question - what is the point of the card ??
Yeah but, no but, yeah but, no but.......I assumed if it expired you would be here illegally.......a bit like driving with an expired licence. Try explaining that to Officer Dibble. :scared:
Old May 25th 2006, 7:12 pm
Thinking about it

Yeah but, no but, yeah but, no but.......I assumed if it expired you would be here illegally.......a bit like driving with an expired licence. Try explaining that to Officer Dibble. :scared:
Me too, which is why I asked the question in the first place.
Its not a biggie, but i was just interested to find out.
Old May 25th 2006, 7:13 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by syllk

I think just because the card expires, doesn't mean ur status does. At least that is what i have been told.
Old May 25th 2006, 7:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Their status has not changed. Even with an expired green card they are still permanent residents as long as they have not violated any the requirements that govern residency. Yes, they can file an I-90 for a new card.

The card, unlike a driver's license, is only paperproof of your status. You cannot drive without a DL but you can live in the US with an expired GC.

Last edited by Rete; May 25th 2006 at 7:18 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.