British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Silly question I know (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/silly-question-i-know-906820/)

raceman Dec 12th 2017 10:25 pm

Silly question I know

I have been here for 5 years now, and CRAVE Birds Eye fingers!! There was a company in CA that was shipping them, but I never got around to ordering any.

Does anyone know where I can get Birds Eye Cod fishfingers in AZ, or shipped to AZ?

Many thanks in advance

Octang Frye Dec 12th 2017 10:31 pm

Re: Silly question I know

Now I'm craving them too.

raceman Dec 12th 2017 11:00 pm

What I wouldn't give for a Fish Finger sarnie

petitefrancaise Dec 12th 2017 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by raceman (Post 12398773)
What I wouldn't give for a Fish Finger sarnie

with ketchup!

KK85 Dec 13th 2017 1:02 am

Ooooh, I bloody love a fish finger. There's a lot to be said for the Bird's Eye battered ones, too, in a sandwich made with thickly sliced, fresh, crusty white bread. :flirtyeyes:

No idea where you can get them from, though, sorry! I hope a hero swings by here to save the day.

kateinbrooklyn Dec 13th 2017 2:21 am

If you have one near you, Trader Joe's fish sticks aren't that dissimilar. Or maybe it's just been too long since I've had a real fish finger.

Jerseygirl Dec 13th 2017 2:26 am

Originally Posted by kateinbrooklyn (Post 12398835)
If you have one near you, Trader Joe's fish sticks aren't that dissimilar. Or maybe it's just been too long since I've had a real fish finger.

Are they ‘cod’ fish fingers? ASFAIK most sold in the US contain ‘fish’...not just cod.

Maste Dec 13th 2017 4:08 am

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12398787)
with ketchup!

Doorstop bread, double layer of fish fingers, smothered in ketchup. Dinner of the gods!

flbrit59 Dec 13th 2017 5:17 am

Originally Posted by raceman (Post 12398749)
I have been here for 5 years now, and CRAVE Birds Eye fingers!! There was a company in CA that was shipping them, but I never got around to ordering any.

Does anyone know where I can get Birds Eye Cod fishfingers in AZ, or shipped to AZ?

Many thanks in advance

This place in Marietta,GA has them, l saw them in there when l was last there. They have them listed on their website at $11.99 for a pack of 10
The Corner Shop British Groceries and Gifts, Marietta, GA

christmasoompa Dec 13th 2017 6:34 am

Oh good grief. You've all been turned to the dark side living in the US......ketchup on a fish finger sarnie? Tsk.

Although maybe you can't get tartare sauce there either, so I'll let you off. :D

Maste Dec 13th 2017 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12398899)
Oh good grief. You've all been turned to the dark side living in the US......ketchup on a fish finger sarnie? Tsk.

Although maybe you can't get tartare sauce there either, so I'll let you off. :D

Tartae sauce on a fish finger sandwich?

GET OUT OF HERE! :blink:

Rete Dec 13th 2017 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12398899)

Hey, this isn't a Yank problem. KK85 and Maste are brand new to the US. Can't say the same for the others :rofl:

Mrs. Paul's and Groton's fish sticks (not fingers) aren't made with mashed potatoes with the cod or Pollock. Usually US fish cakes are however.

christmasoompa Dec 13th 2017 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Maste (Post 12399035)
Tartae sauce on a fish finger sandwich?

GET OUT OF HERE! :blink:

Find me a pub menu with fish finger sarnies on it that has ketchup instead of tartare sauce...........betcha you can't. :lol:

Rete Dec 13th 2017 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12399074)
Find me a pub menu with fish finger sarnies on it that has ketchup instead of tartare sauce...........betcha you can't. :lol:

In the UK they put your condiments on your sandwiches opps sarnies when you order?

Maste Dec 13th 2017 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12399074)

Any pub I've been to call it a 'posh fish finger sandwich'. AKA, not the real deal! :nod:

They also put it in a sauce pot, because they know people are gonna reach for the ketchup bottle on the table :thumbsup:

Maste Dec 13th 2017 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12399056)
Hey, this isn't a Yank problem. KK85 and Maste are brand new to the US. Can't say the same for the others :rofl:

Mrs. Paul's and Groton's fish sticks (not fingers) aren't made with mashed potatoes with the cod or Pollock. Usually US fish cakes are however.

We were poor growing up, fish fingers (store brand) and ketchup sandwiches was a good meal for us! Heck if we could afford tartare sauce! :blink::o

notaclue Dec 13th 2017 4:26 pm

I hate you all. I am craving fish fingers SO badly.

Rete Dec 13th 2017 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Maste (Post 12399124)
We were poor growing up, fish fingers (store brand) and ketchup sandwiches was a good meal for us! Heck if we could afford tartare sauce! :blink::o

When I was growing up on Fridays when I went to Catholic school we had fish cakes and spaghetti offered on the lunch menu in the cafeteria. Still one of my comfort foods. We did eat fish sticks with mac and cheese but I never had it as a sandwich.

BTW tartar sauce is only mayo, pickle relish and a little lemon juice.

Nutek Dec 13th 2017 6:05 pm

Dammit.

Shouldn't have clicked.

I hate you all now.

:(

caretaker Dec 13th 2017 6:14 pm

I make an ersatz tartar sauce with mayo or salad dressing and sweet green relish, squeeze of citrus if I have it, and that's what I like on a fish finger sandwich.

Maste Dec 13th 2017 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12399173)
When I was growing up on Fridays when I went to Catholic school we had fish cakes and spaghetti offered on the lunch menu in the cafeteria. Still one of my comfort foods. We did eat fish sticks with mac and cheese but I never had it as a sandwich.

Fish finger sandwich has been my comfort food for a long time as a result!

Still too posh for me :nod::p

Jerseygirl Dec 13th 2017 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12399173)

Fish cakes from our local chippy in Sheffield consisted of a thick piece of cod between two thick slices of potato...all dipped in batter and fried.

KK85 Dec 13th 2017 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12399056)

No ketchup for me, or condiments in general! Not on a fish finger sandwich. I like 'em dry! The fish is oily enough to offer suitable lubrication, I find. (Though if I had to choose, it would be tartar all the way. I'm not the biggest fan of ketchup.)

Husband says I pronounce 'tartar' weird - for me the stress is on the first syllable; for him, both are equal. I say TARtar. He says TAR-TAR. We're going to divorce at the dinner table at this rate.

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12399089)
In the UK they put your condiments on your sandwiches opps sarnies when you order?

If it's a made-to-order sandwich, and they offer you a selection of condiments, they will usually squirt or spread a bit on there for you. I think? I feel like it must have been a long time since I ordered a sandwich since I appear to have sincerely forgotten. :blink:

Rete Dec 13th 2017 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12399248)
Fish cakes from our local chippy in Sheffield consisted of a thick piece of cod between two thick slices of potato...all dipped in batter and fried.

Basically it is the same here. The only difference is that it is not layered but mixed with the fish. I still love them crunchy and served with spaghetti and marina sauce. I'm provincial that way.

Rete Dec 13th 2017 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by KK85 (Post 12399252)
Husband says I pronounce 'tartar' weird - for me the stress is on the first syllable; for him, both are equal. I say TARtar. He says TAR-TAR. We're going to divorce at the dinner table at this rate.

You are so funny :rofl:

I'm a Yank and it is TAR-TAR ;) There are many simple words that my Canadian husband mispronounces, i.e. potato being one of that that makes me cringe.

caretaker Dec 14th 2017 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12399289)
You are so funny :rofl: I'm a Yank and it is TAR-TAR ;) There are many simple words that my Canadian husband mispronounces, i.e. potato being one of that that makes me cringe.

TAR-TAR steak is correct, but if you reverse the wording it should be steak tar-TAR. The English quirk is beside the point anyway, since the Germans are the only folk I'd trust to serve me raw meat.

BuckinghamshireBoy Dec 14th 2017 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12399620)
TAR-TAR steak is correct, but if you reverse the wording it should be steak tar-TAR. The English quirk is beside the point anyway, since the Germans are the only folk I'd trust to serve me raw meat.

Interesting view there. I had never eaten raw meat (steak tartare) until I came to CH. I've since enjoyed it in CH, FR and BE, the only bad one I had was in FR (Val Thorens), was as sick as a dog for about 36 hours.

I make my own fishcakes, and have recently been toying with the idea of doing my own fish fingers. Can't be that difficult, can it?

caretaker Dec 14th 2017 7:52 pm

1 Attachment(s)
T

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12399627)
I make my own fishcakes, and have recently been toying with the idea of doing my own fish fingers. Can't be that difficult, can it?

Impossible, wouldn't even consider it. What are you, nuts? :rofl:
Take it as a challenge. The peer pressure is incredible around here.

Rete Dec 14th 2017 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12399620)

My mom, who was German born and raised, often made it for herself with a cut of beef from the butcher that she knew was prime. She ground it herself at home, season it and was in heaven for a short time savoring the taste.

BuckinghamshireBoy Dec 15th 2017 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12399878)
Impossible, wouldn't even consider it. What are you, nuts? :rofl: ...

Absolutely! And I really enjoy messing about in the kitchen.

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12399878)
Take it as a challenge.

Challenge on! I'm trying to decide between egg + breadcrumbs or a good old beer batter...

;)

Englishmum Dec 17th 2017 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12399627)
Interesting view there. I had never eaten raw meat (steak tartare) until I came to CH. I've since enjoyed it in CH, FR and BE, the only bad one I had was in FR (Val Thorens), was as sick as a dog for about 36 hours.

Steak tartare and horse meat were definitely the food items I refused to eat when I lived in Zug (Switzerland). I did eat a lot of cheese though and enjoyed the alpenmagroni (macaroni cheese) with apple sauce and friend onions up in the mountains.

My son found a raclette maker in an Aldi store here in New Jersey and gave it to me last Christmas....however it’s almost impossible to find raclette cheese; we found it in Trader Joe’s but it was only in for one delivery and won’t be back for another year :confused: I’m planning to eat some in the Christmas holidays :cool:

BuckinghamshireBoy Dec 17th 2017 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 12401056)
Steak tartare and horse meat were definitely the food items I refused to eat when I lived in Zug (Switzerland). I did eat a lot of cheese though and enjoyed the alpenmagroni (macaroni cheese) with apple sauce and friend onions up in the mountains.

My son found a raclette maker in an Aldi store here in New Jersey and gave it to me last Christmas....however it’s almost impossible to find raclette cheese; we found it in Trader Joe’s but it was only in for one delivery and won’t be back for another year :confused: I’m planning to eat some in the Christmas holidays :cool:

Now you've got me drooling!

Alpenmagroni - which should really be described as 'macaroni cheese+++ with stars on' is absolutely scrumptious. The best versions of this dish are definitely to be found 'up north'; down here in the French-speaking 'flatlands' they just can't seem to cut it. Coop or Migros used to do a half-arsed version, but it was nowhere near the real thing. Haven't had a proper one in several years. I've tried home-made, but feel that I lack the Swiss gene.

When you say 'raclette maker' (I assume we're not talking about a human here) do you mean one of those grill/hot-stones, or the mountain dweller's half-moon thingy?

I never bothered with the latter at home, but we find the grill/hot-stone to be incredibly versatile and also a fun way to enjoy a meal either amongst friends or just the two of us.

Enjoy your festive raclette!

MsElui Dec 18th 2017 4:59 am

Try Van de Kamps fish sandwich fillets

They are like square fish fingers.
https://www.hy-vee.com/grocery/PD910...ch-Fillets-6Ct

kimilseung Dec 18th 2017 5:08 am

Tartare sauce on a fish finger butty, is the most bourgeois thing I have read all day.

Bob Dec 19th 2017 10:23 pm

Make your own is probably the best options, but Gorton's, aren't entirely gross.

The Van de Kamps, mentioned above are owned by the company who own Birds Eye, so they're probably the closest though.

Ian's, are pretty gross as are Mrs Paul's, which is at least supposed to be proper fish rather than the mash.

Rete Dec 19th 2017 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 12402456)
Make your own is probably the best options, but Gorton's, aren't entirely gross.

The Van de Kamps, mentioned above are owned by the company who own Birds Eye, so they're probably the closest though.

Ian's, are pretty gross as are Mrs Paul's, which is at least supposed to be proper fish rather than the mash.

Never heard of the brand Ian. Personally, I like Mrs. Paul's fish sticks. There is no mash potatoes in them nor is there suppose to be. The mash potatoes belong in the fish cakes and I don't care for either Mrs. Paul's or Gorton's.

Our supermarkets don't carry Van de Kamps.

Bob Dec 20th 2017 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12402460)
Never heard of the brand Ian....

It's one of those organic, gluten free, healthy types. Tasteless cardboard.

Rete Dec 20th 2017 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 12402543)
It's one of those organic, gluten free, healthy types. Tasteless cardboard.

Than glad I ain't never heard of them :rofl:

Bob Dec 20th 2017 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12402545)
Than glad I ain't never heard of them :rofl:

I'd gotten a couple coupons to try a couple of their products for free.

That was a challenge :lol:

BuckinghamshireBoy Jan 20th 2018 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12400258)
Absolutely! And I really enjoy messing about in the kitchen.

Challenge on! I'm trying to decide between egg + breadcrumbs or a good old beer batter...

;)

An update on progress. I took a cod fillet and trimmed it into fish-finger shape. Cooked half the batch in egg'n'breadcrumbs, the rest in batter. Messed up on the first batter recipe, then remembered that I had a pretty good double batter recipe tucked away in my Asian folder. That was marginally better.

Then I thought what's the point". Breadcrumb version is available in the stores, and the batter version just really didn't cut it - although would possibly be better in a sarnie.

New cunning plan - fish-cakes that look like fish-fingers!

Loads more scope for the ingredients and taste tweaking. Going to try an Asian double batter mix with salmon, tuna and crab pseudo fingers tomorrow, served alongside a Swiss/Bucks ratatouille.

:fingerscrossed: