Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Silly flight question

Silly flight question

Old Dec 5th 2013, 5:43 pm
UK/US

Wesa_uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Silly flight question

Now the status is at 'issued' and I'm waiting for that all important email I've been obviously pricing flights.

Would it go against me if I booked a return flight instead of a one way flight? I have no intention of actually being on the return flight however a return costs £460 and a one way was £650?

Pricing is ridiculous for a one way.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 5:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Silly flight question

Originally Posted by Wesa_uk
Would it go against me if I booked a return flight instead of a one way flight?
For immigration purposes, No.

Not sure if there would be any problems with the airline in not using the other portion of the ticket, but my guess is probably not.

Rene
Old Dec 5th 2013, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

carldodd77 has a spectacular aura aboutcarldodd77 has a spectacular aura aboutcarldodd77 has a spectacular aura about

The advice is normally...as long as you don't make a habit of it, the airline doesn't usually follow it up. If you were a repeat offender, that is a different matter.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

mikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond repute

Now the status is at 'issued' and I'm waiting for that all important email I've been obviously pricing flights.

Would it go against me if I booked a return flight instead of a one way flight? I have no intention of actually being on the return flight however a return costs £460 and a one way was £650?

This is what my husband did when he came over on his CR-1. It is actually more cost effective this way. One way tickets are sometimes more expensive

Not issues if it's only a one time thing. Congrats !
Old Dec 5th 2013, 5:55 pm
UK/US

Wesa_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

No never missed a flight and they aren't to know that I won't be on the return flight, just trying to save myself some dollars.

As long as it won't be a problem with immigration then that's fine with me.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

No never missed a flight and they aren't to know that I won't be on the return flight, just trying to save myself some dollars.

As long as it won't be a problem with immigration then that's fine with me.
One thing that may save you even more money is if you wanted to book the return leg for a date further away in the future, in case you wanted to visit family for a visit etc ... just a thought.

Hoffage
Old Dec 5th 2013, 7:22 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I never used the return portion of my ticket - why would they care? Most trans-atlantic flights are oversubscribed anyway, especially if travelling anywhere other than JFK or LAX, so they get their fare twice over.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 8:01 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I never used the return portion of my ticket - why would they care? Most trans-atlantic flights are oversubscribed anyway, especially if travelling anywhere other than JFK or LAX, so they get their fare twice over.
Yeah, they don't know if you missed the flight back, and they don't check to see if you eventually travel back on their or another airline.

The advice to get a refundable return leg and set it as far out in the future as possible is very sound. That way all you have to do is pay the change fee and any difference in fare when you go to use it on the date of your choice. Presumably you will be looking for a return flight to the US at that time, though, so it may be six of one and half a dozen of the other.

I paid for my husband's flight to the US with my frequent flier miles, because we had already got an apartment lease together and qualified to be a "household" and share the miles account. It would have been nonsense to spend double miles for a return ticket when a one-way ticket cost half the miles.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I did the exact same thing when I came over. It was much cheaper at the time than getting a one-way ticket.

I never had a problem.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Stoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant future

I found it cheaper to fly out on a Tuesday than any other day
Old Dec 10th 2013, 7:56 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stoutbanana
I found it cheaper to fly out on a Tuesday than any other day
Statistically that is the cheapest day.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 10:29 pm

Flopsie is an unknown quantity at this point

I've known some people who have bought a return and then called the airline to say they can't use the return trip and have been issued with credit with the airline, about $150/200.
Personally I bought a return and got the latest return date possible, so I have a return flight booked for the 7th october. I'm hoping to use it but I know if I can't I can call Virgin and reschedule it and they just charge an admin fee to change the date.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all

Where did you get such cheap fares.... are you talking US to UK?
Old Dec 14th 2013, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Casual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London1947
Where did you get such cheap fares.... are you talking US to UK?
The fares are not overly cheap - seem about average to me. It depends where from and where to you are flying.

US Airways MAN>PHL 10:45a 1:45p 8h 0m 0 $767 (471.33 GBP)
Book

US Airways PHL>MAN 8:45p 8:45a 7h 0m 0
Book with: $767 US Airways
Old Dec 14th 2013, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casual Observer
The fares are not overly cheap - seem about average to me. It depends where from and where to you are flying.

US Airways MAN>PHL 10:45a 1:45p 8h 0m 0 $767 (471.33 GBP)
Book

US Airways PHL>MAN 8:45p 8:45a 7h 0m 0
Book with: $767 US Airways
+1

That's about right. We got return flights for the three of us for £1392. If we had booked a month earlier there was a deal for £1250. It varies.

Sites like Skyscanner, expedia or Opodo are quite good for locating the cheapest deals and for fare rises/drops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.