Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

<<<sigh>>> washing-machine recommendations - please!!...

<<<sigh>>> washing-machine recommendations - please!!...

Old Feb 3rd 2007, 1:56 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: <<<sigh>>> washing-machine recommendations - please!!...

Wish we could be more hepl but our top loading Maytag bought at a garage sale 6 years ago for $50 is still going strong.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 1:58 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Oh, I forgot about the Miele....excellent machines. I used to own an AEG back home - bought it before we were wed, worked non stop with 3 toddlers and was still going strong when I left.

Amy, you'll really love how clean your laundry comes out in a front-loader - you won't ever want to own a toploader! For the life of me I don't understand why they didn't introduce them to the US market decades ago.....
Not to mention the energy savings - you use so much less water and the clothes are sooooooooo much drier due to the more efficient spinning.

My machine in the UK had heavy-soil, half-load and 'hand-washing' options which I found very useful. I'm hoping that the new US machines offer those too.

Now, if only they could improve on the spin-speeds; in my book 1200 still isn't enough.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Frigidaire washer and dryer and would definitely recommend the GLTF2940ES washer. Good price, I think we paid around $650-700 for it, all the features you need including water heater, enough cycles to keep anyone happy, easy addition of bleach, detergent or fabric softener, VERY quiet (other than when it's filling) and the ability to do a massive load. It's also designed and engineered very well, is energy star rated and uses very little water to do the job. If you use the same detergent as we do, a $17 128oz bottle will last you around 100-120 loads.

http://www.frigidaire.com/products/l...GLTF2940ES.asp
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 2:08 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I have a Frigidaire washer and dryer and would definitely recommend the GLTF2940ES washer. Good price, I think we paid around $650-700 for it, all the features you need including water heater, enough cycles to keep anyone happy, easy addition of bleach, detergent or fabric softener, VERY quiet (other than when it's filling) and the ability to do a massive load. It's also designed and engineered very well, is energy star rated and uses very little water to do the job. If you use the same detergent as we do, a $17 128oz bottle will last you around 100-120 loads.

Thanks!

What's the maximum spin-speed (and why do they not state this vital information in their product spec??)
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 2:10 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
Okay, so the blasted thing has packed in.

Already spent over $100 to have it 'repaired', which lasted - in a fashion - for a couple of months.

It's only 5 years old FFS!!!

RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE!!!

Obviously I'll only consider a front-loader (no dirty jokes please! )

Thanks!

i have a front load maytag elvira and it's ok but tbh we're in a throw away world...5 yrs and that's about it imo you're throwing good money after bad in getting it repaired ...time for a new one
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 2:11 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i have a front load maytag elvira and it's ok but tbh we're in a throw away world...5 yrs and that's about it imo you're throwing good money after bad in getting it repaired ...time for a new one
It's insane!!
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

What's the maximum spin-speed (and why do they not state this vital information in their product spec??)
Don't know of the top of my head but on most cycles the clothes are pretty much dry when they come out. I'll check to see if it is in any of the manuals, I thought it was something like 1500 but it's been a couple of years since we bought it and can't remember. It's actually listed as LTF2940ES at Lowes and it was $648, they also threw in delivery and installation.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

It's insane!!
i know ...mine is 5 yrs old this month (and i've had no probs so far...hmm shouldn't have said that, watch this space lol) and i'm hoping it'll hold out 'till i go home as i hate to buy another one.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Not to mention the energy savings - you use so much less water and the clothes are sooooooooo much drier due to the more efficient spinning.

My machine in the UK had heavy-soil, half-load and 'hand-washing' options which I found very useful. I'm hoping that the new US machines offer those too.

Now, if only they could improve on the spin-speeds; in my book 1200 still isn't enough.
Just ensure that you have level flooring when you install it, or you'll want to form a class action lawsuit against the manufacturers like a certain idiot I read...LOLOL
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 5:09 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts

We have a Frigidaire toploader as well. We've had it since 1998 and it is still going. We originally paid about $600 for it new.

Last edited by Neathborn; Feb 3rd 2007 at 5:10 pm. Reason: Oops -- should have said "front loader"
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 5:37 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, but the best spin-speed I can find is only 1200 - the Whirlpool GHW9400P - which one does 1500?
My typo--I misread my manual which was 1050. I think the newer ones are a bit faster but I'm not sure they are at 1500 yet.

Generally speaking, I've had pretty good conversations with salesman for washers and large 'white' appliances at Home Depot, Lowes, and Sears. Not so much at Best Buy. I would suggest aiming for an older sales clerk if possible instead of some kid.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 6:45 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Amy, you'll really love how clean your laundry comes out in a front-loader - you won't ever want to own a toploader! For the life of me I don't understand why they didn't introduce them to the US market decades ago.....
I'm going to curse myself, I know.... my Maytag toploader is 16 years old and going strong. This kind of lifespan is not unusual for a Maytag and I'm really disappointed to read of those of you who've had to junk a washer after 5 years!

I hadn't considered draining a frontloader in order to add something (duh) because a part of the charm of adding something is to conserve detergents and water. But since a frontloader conserves more water in general, I guess I wouldn't feel too guilty about it (hey, I live in a green city! ).

I'll check out the Miele.... Euroappliances have become very trendy so there's a premium markup on them, but if they last longer than five years then they may be worth it.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I'll check out the Miele.... Euroappliances have become very trendy so there's a premium markup on them, but if they last longer than five years then they may be worth it.
WTF???

I only recently figured out which buttons to push to make this one work and now you want to buy another washer? That means I'll have to start all over again.... it's gonna take me ages to figure out how to do my own laundry....
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 7:29 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Excuses, excuses!
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 7:50 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje
WTF???

I only recently figured out which buttons to push to make this one work and now you want to buy another washer? That means I'll have to start all over again.... it's gonna take me ages to figure out how to do my own laundry....
I didn't say I *wanted* to buy another one.... but eventually I will *have* to, unless you are willing to do our laundry in the backyard with boiling water carried from the stove.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.