Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sick of living here!

Sick of living here!

Old Aug 4th 2011, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sick of living here!

So sorry you are suffering in the heat. Move to Eureka northern ca..its currently raining which is unusual I believe but generally the summers are sunny ish and cool....low 60s
Old Aug 4th 2011, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
So sorry you are suffering in the heat. Move to Eureka northern ca..its currently raining which is unusual I believe but generally the summers are sunny ish and cool....low 60s
Dense fog and drizzle here in San Francisco last night and this morning. Very... English, in fact.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Dense fog and drizzle here in San Francisco last night and this morning. Very... English, in fact.
Damn you and your blasted drizzle and fog! *shakes fist*
Old Aug 4th 2011, 7:46 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds quite nice that, almost Dickensian
Old Aug 4th 2011, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who wilts in the heat! My husband thinks I'm a complete whiner when I want the air conditioners put in. I don't think it's in our DNA to deal with extreme temps!
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:06 am
Just Joined

Sleepy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Montfan72
I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who wilts in the heat! My husband thinks I'm a complete whiner when I want the air conditioners put in. I don't think it's in our DNA to deal with extreme temps!
Not meaning to hijak this thread...my husband is from the South and when we lived there he would walk around outside like the heat/humidity was nothing, I'd be inside hugging the AC, I'd moan about the humidity "How can anyone stand this???..." and he'd say.."What's the problem, it's nice" agghhh!!!

We met an English guy there who had just arrived for a visit and he said he slept with wet sheets wrapped around him, he put the sheets in cold water...true story.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Deeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud of

Mogmaster, I hope things start looking up and life is a little kinder to you. Wishing you all the best!!

I've never liked US summers, too many days of 100* even in a no-humidity area. Luckily, this summer hasn't been so bad, we've barely reached 90* here. Yorkshire summers of 70* were lovely, except for the rain. Okay, I'm never satisfied. :-)
But Autumn is GORGEOUS!!! It's always been my favorite.

Last edited by Deeks; Aug 5th 2011 at 3:39 am.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Not according to my cousin, who was at the University in Arcata for a few years - according to him the weather was a bit British . Lovely place in the world, though.

Out here (about 15 miles east of Lake Tahoe) it's hot, but not humid and we're doing pretty well even at 90F+ in a house with no A/C. The bone dry air helps a lot.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 4:44 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Right there with you, I wasn't made for it.

Originally Posted by Sleepy1
Not meaning to hijak this thread...my husband is from the South and when we lived there he would walk around outside like the heat/humidity was nothing, I'd be inside hugging the AC, I'd moan about the humidity "How can anyone stand this???..." and he'd say.."What's the problem, it's nice" agghhh!!!

We met an English guy there who had just arrived for a visit and he said he slept with wet sheets wrapped around him, he put the sheets in cold water...true story.
My Dh has a horrible habit of saying "but it's a dry heat" (which it usually is here) But it still feel too hot. So I trained Dd to say "Hey Dad we're 5 miles from the sun today" That makes him grumble
She was born here and still can't take the heat
Old Aug 5th 2011, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Same here ! I had to get the woodstove going last night

Anyway, I'm off to Blighty on Tuesday, I hear it's warm over there
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:22 pm
Too young for BE

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant future

This is one of the many reasons why I like San Francisco because unlike Vegas which is very hot this time of year San Francisco is nice and cool kind of like England.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
Same here ! I had to get the woodstove going last night

Anyway, I'm off to Blighty on Tuesday, I hear it's warm over there
yep we had heating on...had Barbie last night...was freezing!! You off to UK so soon? Hope everything's ok
Old Aug 6th 2011, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
Not according to my cousin, who was at the University in Arcata for a few years - according to him the weather was a bit British . Lovely place in the world, though.

Out here (about 15 miles east of Lake Tahoe) it's hot, but not humid and we're doing pretty well even at 90F+ in a house with no A/C. The bone dry air helps a lot.
it is indeed very British weather..i was told it didn't rain tho in summertime...yeah right!
Arcata is like being transported back to 1968...the hippies are alive and well. Its all cosmic here man!!!
Old Aug 6th 2011, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

yep we had heating on...had Barbie last night...was freezing!! You off to UK so soon? Hope everything's ok
Everything's fine over there, my mum is in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's. Right now she is just a bit forgetful and repeats herself a bit, but I am trying to get as much time with her while I can. I am very fortunate to be able to travel and still earn a paycheck.

I also bought a 15 day Britrail pass, so I plan on going on lots of days out.

The weather on the coast usually clears up in October.........

Gloomy as it is it beats being boiling hot all the time though.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
Everything's fine over there, my mum is in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's. Right now she is just a bit forgetful and repeats herself a bit, but I am trying to get as much time with her while I can. I am very fortunate to be able to travel and still earn a paycheck.

I also bought a 15 day Britrail pass, so I plan on going on lots of days out.

The weather on the coast usually clears up in October.........

Gloomy as it is it beats being boiling hot all the time though.
have a safe trip and hope you find your mum well. My mums in hospital at the mo and its no fun being so far away!! Enjoy your days out ---let us know where you get to
Ive been told that October is the new summer in humboldt!!!!! blimey how odd!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.