Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sick of living here!

Sick of living here!

Old Aug 2nd 2011, 7:39 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sick of living here!

Originally Posted by Rose tea
I know the summers are horrible, but just think about autumn being around the corner. It's what keeps me going this time of year.
Autumn. Or the three months of the year I do genuinely like it here

You're right though, I've been helping myself get over my summer misery by thinking about how lovely it will be in October. It works. Until I get out of the car, house, or whatever air conditioned chamber I happen to be in . . .
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Autumn. Or the three months of the year I do genuinely like it here

You're right though, I've been helping myself get over my summer misery by thinking about how lovely it will be in October. It works. Until I get out of the car, house, or whatever air conditioned chamber I happen to be in . . .
Yeah, I know how that goes. We're now into the humid part of summer - yay!

Luckily - in fact very luckily - we have great weather for nearly all of October - May. I spend Christmas Day in sunglasses and wearing a light jacket if that There have been times before when I've woken up on what is the first cool autumn morning, and I've literally cried. I'll admit to it.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 8:02 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I know how that goes. We're now into the humid part of summer - yay!

Luckily - in fact very luckily - we have great weather for nearly all of October - May. I spend Christmas Day in sunglasses and wearing a light jacket if that There have been times before when I've woken up on what is the first cool autumn morning, and I've literally cried. I'll admit to it.
I enjoy the cold of the winter up by me, but I much prefer autumn, as the snow sort of loses its charm after January 1st. I'd still take 10F weather over 100F any day though.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoy the cold of the winter up by me, but I much prefer autumn, as the snow sort of loses its charm after January 1st. I'd still take 10F weather over 100F any day though.
I thought that until we had a -10F cold snap earlier this year. I was useless. But what I wouldn't give for a cool, misty, frosty morning...

Look at us, a bunch of Brits hijacking a thread to talk about the weather
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

mogmaster is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info re the permit and the siding!

As for the weather chat - I was enjoying your conversation! I do feel slightly bad for moaning about the weather back home (north-east Scotland...) and then coming over here and complaining about it being too bloody hot

What's odd about northern Virginia is depsite the blazing summers it can get pretty nippy in the winter. And it seemed like must of this spring was rained off. Bah, I'm a grumbly Brit! Bring on October!
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

usoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud of

Know exactly how you are feeling. We lived in AZ for 7 years. I just could not stand the constant heat, being indoors, and having the AC on for 7 months of the year. I was pregnant with two of our children there and we already had 2. I had a very hard time dealing with heat and being pregnant, trying to take care of two little ones and running a home!!.. There was nowhere to go except strip malls or the mall. Too hot for pools. The car was hot all the time.
It was'nt until I was pregnant with baby #4 that it hit me, what are we doing here?
I really bagan to miss having my side of the family around even more. And yes, my sister and friends back home would be doing all sorts of fun things during summer, picnics, browsing on quaint high streets with theire little ones in strollers outside, not stuck in air conditioned malls etc.

I feel really bad that because I could not handle the heat, my two older children were always stuck inside whilst I was pregant. Even the thought of attending a mums group was a bother, due to the heat.
AZ winters are nice, but we had to travel 2 hrs north to show the kids snow and what autumn/winter really looked like!!

We moved back to northern NJ, hoping the summers would be better and to feel less homesick, but no such luck. All I think about is my family in the UK, wanting my kids to know them and the drizzly, gray skies of England!! and the lovely summers there!! Walking in the rain and actually being able to use an umbrella for more than a few minutes.

You will feel better once the little one comes along, but I did notice that after living in such a hot place my body is so much more aware of temperature changes and I do get hot quicker, even after having a cup of tea!! I never took note of weather issues before and I feel awful constantly not wanting the sun out. we had too much sun in AZ that now I really enjoy the overcast days, have more energy in the cool weather and would rather get errands done when it is less than 75 degrees F.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 2:09 pm
I have a comma problem

I thought that until we had a -10F cold snap earlier this year. I was useless. But what I wouldn't give for a cool, misty, frosty morning...

Look at us, a bunch of Brits hijacking a thread to talk about the weather

I can handle the below zero temps quite well actually. Nothing like when there's a -30F wind chill and your nostrils freeze over as soon as you step outside. Brilliant
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Sleepy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can handle the below zero temps quite well actually. Nothing like when there's a -30F wind chill and your nostrils freeze over as soon as you step outside. Brilliant
LOL hahaha..Yes! I love it too, nostrils freezing and don't forget about the frozen eyebrows can handle below freezing up in the mountains but that southern heat and humidity killed me, always felt like I needed another shower the minute I stepped out the door, its tough.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 5:47 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Sleepy1
LOL hahaha..Yes! I love it too, nostrils freezing and don't forget about the frozen eyebrows can handle below freezing up in the mountains but that southern heat and humidity killed me, always felt like I needed another shower the minute I stepped out the door, its tough.
The humidity is what makes it unbearable I think. I've never really experienced extreme dry heat though so I don't know. The cold is easy, just layer up and remove as needed
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 7:24 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

The humidity is what makes it unbearable I think. I've never really experienced extreme dry heat though so I don't know. The cold is easy, just layer up and remove as needed
Dry desert heat feels like you are being roasted, with more of a feeling of the heat actually burning the skin. Nice, huh?

Given the choice of 105 with heat index or 105 pure heat.......
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 7:29 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Dry desert heat feels like you are being roasted, with more of a feeling of the heat actually burning the skin. Nice, huh?

Given the choice of 105 with heat index or 105 pure heat.......
105 with heat index is bad enough. I'll decline both, and patiently wait for autumn to arrive.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

washsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nice

Ahhh...the humidity. We just got back from vacation out West and the heat was lovely (around 100) because it was a dry heat and much more bearable.

Then we get back to DC and the temperature is 20 degrees cooler but feels like 20 degrees warmer because of the darned humidity!

Still fall is just around the corner...........

And folks back home in the UK can't stop complaining about the weather there!

As an aside, my wife has gone from a working mom to a stay at home mom these last 12 months and she's never been happier......she's got herself involved in various groups (PTA, local meet ups, etc) and now loves living here after a short period wanting to go back to the UK.

Good luck!
Old Aug 4th 2011, 3:08 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

105 with heat index is bad enough. I'll decline both, and patiently wait for autumn to arrive.
This year I've had installed 6 new "Scott-Amundsen" 500k Btu A/C units in windows at our house. They have dropped to humidity to zero and average indoors temp is easily down to about -273F. Took a bit of getting used to, but by keeping the windows shut, running a few power cables to the neighbors' houses and only letting the cat out at night to thaw, we've only seen an increase of $20 in our monthly bill.
The only down-side is that all molecular activity seems to have practically stopped which makes ironing a bit difficult and somewhat tricky to have a shower.
Here's a snapshot of our kitchen after breakfast; the kids have just gone off to play "Stalingrad" in their bedrooms and the Wife is under the counter microwaving the cat (we forgot to put her out last night).

Stay cool.
Attached Thumbnails Sick of living here!-breakfasts-ready-.jpg  
Old Aug 4th 2011, 3:13 pm
I have a comma problem

This year I've had installed 6 new "Scott-Amundsen" 500k Btu A/C units in windows at our house. They have dropped to humidity to zero and average indoors temp is easily down to about -273F. Took a bit of getting used to, but by keeping the windows shut, running a few power cables to the neighbors' houses and only letting the cat out at night to thaw, we've only seen an increase of $20 in our monthly bill.
The only down-side is that all molecular activity seems to have practically stopped which makes ironing a bit difficult and somewhat tricky to have a shower.
Here's a snapshot of our kitchen after breakfast; the kids have just gone off to play "Stalingrad" in their bedrooms and the Wife is under the counter microwaving the cat (we forgot to put her out last night).

Stay cool.
Nice and brisk then? Good stuff
Old Aug 4th 2011, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Sleepy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Stay cool.
LMAO!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.