Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sick of being preapproved for credit?

Wikiposts

Sick of being preapproved for credit?

Old Feb 12th 2004, 11:24 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sick of being preapproved for credit?

This information is from the Experian web site .....

Opt Out
You may choose to exclude your name from CRA lists for unsolicited credit and insurance offers. Creditors and insurers may use file information as the basis for sending you unsolicited offers of credit or insurance. Such offers must include a toll-free phone number for you to call if you want your name and address removed from future lists. If you call, you may select to have your name removed for two years or permanently. If you select the option for permanent removal, you will be mailed a Notice of Election to Opt Out form to complete and return. The toll-free number for all of the national CRAs is 1 888 5OPTOUT (1 888 567 8688.)

Opting in
Most consumers prefer to continue to receive offers that may interest them. If you have previously opted out and would like to request that your name be included in prescreened offer lists, then call 1 888 5OPTOUT (1 888 567 8688) and select the option for opting in.

Still skeptical, or have more questions? Check the Experian credit reference bureau web site.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 12:45 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm wonder if it works.....
We registered on the donotcall site, and it seemed to cut down our marketing calls for a while, but they're creeping back in now....mainly travel companies that say they are allowed to call because we visited expedia or travelocity.com......I report them every time (too much time on my handsreport ) but it doesn't seem to do any good..
Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:22 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
Hmmm wonder if it works.....
We registered on the donotcall site, and it seemed to cut down our marketing calls for a while, but they're creeping back in now....mainly travel companies that say they are allowed to call because we visited expedia or travelocity.com......I report them every time (too much time on my handsreport ) but it doesn't seem to do any good..
What I didn't realise is that charities are exempt from the do not call list, we now get 2 charities a week calling us rather than a handful of salesmen.

Patrick
Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:44 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

And the local police departments! We have about 4 or 5 different police charities call weekly on a rotational basis, and they are strating to get quite aggressive about each other. We gave to the DPSOA last year (looks after widows and kids of officers killed in line of duty) and when they only got the same donation this year rather than an inflation increased one, they called up to ask whether we thought it would be appropriate to increase the donation in line with whatever payrise I'd got this year. Cheeky buggers!!!

And as for the zoo calling up and asking for $5000 dollars - err, no sorry...well how about 2000 - no again, well how about 1000...well how about sodding right off!!!

I think we give a reasonable whack to charity both in cash and in time, and it really really pisses me off the aggressive way they try extract more

err sorry - rant over - off to sit in a darkened roomand take my meidcation....
Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

We opted out a while ago- it seems to have cut down on the calls a bit, but some are getting through- had a woman trying to sell me a funeral plot today, charming LOL. We're still getting credit card offers and mortgage refinance etc through the mail though.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:42 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

And the local police departments! We have about 4 or 5 different police charities call weekly on a rotational basis, and they are strating to get quite aggressive about each other. We gave to the DPSOA last year (looks after widows and kids of officers killed in line of duty) and when they only got the same donation this year rather than an inflation increased one, they called up to ask whether we thought it would be appropriate to increase the donation in line with whatever payrise I'd got this year. Cheeky buggers!!!

That old Police, fireman, EMS charity crap is a scam.
I thought as much when after donating to one, all the others called me asking for a handout.
This was confirmed by my Collage graduate nephew who took a telephone job pretending to be from the aformentioned charities and asking for donations.
He was well impressed, he got 25% of whatever he could collect.

They never told me that when they were asking for a handout for the Police benevolent fund.. Never again..
Old Feb 13th 2004, 2:21 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

And as for the zoo calling up and asking for $5000 dollars - err, no sorry...well how about 2000 - no again, well how about 1000...well how about sodding right off!!!

I think we give a reasonable whack to charity both in cash and in time, and it really really pisses me off the aggressive way they try extract more

err sorry - rant over - off to sit in a darkened roomand take my meidcation....
I donate to the NC Frat. Order of Police. Next year I won't be, after the harrassment I got this year. Sent off the check the day after I received the invoice. Next day I got a phone call - where is the check? Two days later, my roommate got a call, "Do you know if he got a letter from us? Do you know if he sent a check?" Cheeky b*st*rds.

I'm all for supporting the local police, but this kind of pestering is out of order. I begin to wonder if they are what they say. Have read before of similar organizations spending up to 90% of donations on "salaries" of their "administrators". I just noticed that they do not even have official non-profit status. Now what kind of charity is that? Gives police a bad name.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 4:21 am

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

It scares the crap out of me this stuff in my e-mail too!

But I'd really like to know who told them I need a bigger penis!

It has been said that I've got ba**s... but a small penis .... nooooooooooo!

Do people with good credit traditionally need enhancements ?
Old Feb 13th 2004, 7:06 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dunroving
I donate to the NC Frat. Order of Police. Next year I won't be, after the harrassment I got this year. Sent off the check the day after I received the invoice. Next day I got a phone call - where is the check? Two days later, my roommate got a call, "Do you know if he got a letter from us? Do you know if he sent a check?" Cheeky b*st*rds.

I'm all for supporting the local police, but this kind of pestering is out of order. I begin to wonder if they are what they say. Have read before of similar organizations spending up to 90% of donations on "salaries" of their "administrators". I just noticed that they do not even have official non-profit status. Now what kind of charity is that? Gives police a bad name.
I got a call last year from the Fraternal Order of Police (I live in NC too). I'm rather dubious of any cold callers like that, be they salespeople or "charities".

I simply ask them for more information (either send it in the mail or ask for their site's web address) and tell them I'll check them out and contact them if I'm interested. That usually does the trick and gets rid of them.

I think charities have a nerve in the US to constantly harrass you once you give a donation. It's almost like they try to shame or harrass the public enough so that people give in and cough up some money. It's a real nuisance and an invasion of privacy.

If I want to give to charity (and I do make contributions in one form or another), I'l do it on my terms- to whom I want, when I want and the amount I want.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by NC Penguin
I got a call last year from the Fraternal Order of Police (I live in NC too). I'm rather dubious of any cold callers like that, be they salespeople or "charities".

I simply ask them for more information (either send it in the mail or ask for their site's web address) and tell them I'll check them out and contact them if I'm interested. That usually does the trick and gets rid of them.

I think charities have a nerve in the US to constantly harrass you once you give a donation. It's almost like they try to shame or harrass the public enough so that people give in and cough up some money. It's a real nuisance and an invasion of privacy.

If I want to give to charity (and I do make contributions in one form or another), I'l do it on my terms- to whom I want, when I want and the amount I want.
The ones who really piss me off are the people who come to the front door. Talk about agressive. If you don't get to the door quick enough, they are trying the door knob, I often wonder what would happen if they found the door open, would they just walk in? Then when I tell them I do not give money to people who just knock on my door, they get all bent out of shape. A black girl last week started calling me names thru the security door because I said no, I told her to go and f--k herself and shut the door in her face. My husband is always worried they might key the cars on the way back down the driveway, but so far that has not happened, we usually monitor them walking away and if that did happen they had better be able to run fast, cause I would be kicking some ass.

As for the do not call list, like everyone else on here, it seems they have found a way round it. They maintain if they do a service for you like insurance, or credit cards then they are entitled to call. I just hang up on them.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

My husband speaks German to them- that gets rid. One time, someone asked him 'How you doin today'- so he told them. he didn't let them get a word in dumped all his work frustrations on them- and they hung up...
Old Feb 13th 2004, 11:12 am
irb
Forum Regular

irb is an unknown quantity at this point

I tell them I'm just using the house while I'm on holiday, the English accent usually convinces them and most hang up. If they don't, I say "can you hold just a minute, put the phone on the table then walk away and carry on with what I was doing, they can hear me tellng my husband don't touch the phone there's some twat trying to sell something. I go back after about 5 minutes, they've usually gone, and hopefully taken my name off the list. If they phone back I do the same, If they phone again and ask why I didn't come back to the phone, I tell them to stop phoning and I will stop ignoring them. Or try telling them in your sexies voice that you think they have a very sexy voice and that your are talking to them with no clothes on, keep up the banter until they hang up. Or ask them the name of their company, ask them to spell it, ask them to repeat it, then ask them to repeat it again, ask them their own name, ask them to spell it and so on. Tell them you're glad they phoned, your so lonley and need someone to listen, start telling them your wife/husband doesn't understand you, you can't let them get a work in. There must be 101 ways to have some fund with these guys.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 12:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by effi
The ones who really piss me off are the people who come to the front door. ....
Only had one of those, two if you count a youth and two kids from the local baptist church, in the year since we bought our house. I guess that that is one of the perks of living in "the county", beyond the limits of the cozy housing estates, sorry, "communities" of suburbia.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 8:28 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default !

Originally posted by effi
The ones who really piss me off are the people who come to the front door. Talk about agressive. If you don't get to the door quick enough, they are trying the door knob, I often wonder what would happen if they found the door open, would they just walk in? Then when I tell them I do not give money to people who just knock on my door, they get all bent out of shape. A black girl last week started calling me names thru the security door because I said no, I told her to go and f--k herself and shut the door in her face. <<snip>>
I'm shocked that some door-to-door caller would try and open the door to your house like that. If that happened to me, I'd shout out, "I'm just going to call the police because you're tresspassing on private property" or words to that effect. That's some gall to enter into one's home univited.

As for the girl shouting names at you, I'd handle it as follows:
Call out, "if you don't stop calling names, I'll just go and get set my rottweiler (insert breed of vicious dog) on you" or
"if you don't stop this minute, I'll call the cops".

I've had some pretty persistant teenagers come to the door selling magazine subscriptions or books. They say that they're some of the proceeds of the sales will go to their school/football club, etc. but really I think these publishers or whatever are just "using" the teenagers for cheap labour to sell the product.

Call me cynical? Be my guest!
Old Feb 14th 2004, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Re: !

Originally posted by NC Penguin
I'm shocked that some door-to-door caller would try and open the door to your house like that. If that happened to me, I'd shout out, "I'm just going to call the police because you're tresspassing on private property" or words to that effect. That's some gall to enter into one's home univited.

As for the girl shouting names at you, I'd handle it as follows:
Call out, "if you don't stop calling names, I'll just go and get set my rottweiler (insert breed of vicious dog) on you" or
"if you don't stop this minute, I'll call the cops".

I've had some pretty persistant teenagers come to the door selling magazine subscriptions or books. They say that they're some of the proceeds of the sales will go to their school/football club, etc. but really I think these publishers or whatever are just "using" the teenagers for cheap labour to sell the product.

Call me cynical? Be my guest!
These kids are indeed being used. I think it was 20/20 that did an expose of them a couple of weeks ago. The company is owned by a guy in Florida. The kids are recruited and bussed all over the country, and the amount of abuse they put up with is really bad. I have been appalled at some of the people who come to my door. The level of agressive behaviour exhibited is quite scary. I have a large metal screen door and it is always kept locked, but time after time they try the handle. God knows what they would do if the door was unlocked, I dread to think. I just don't answer the door anymore, I check them out thru the peephole incase it is a neighbour etc, if I do not know them I don't open up, they are always looking for money for something or other. We live in a quiet really safe area, but I should imagine quite a lot of people would be intimidated by these solicitors. Like I said as well, I always go into the front bedroom to watch them leave the premises to make sure they do not take out any kind of revenge against my property.