Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Si Senior, I speaka da lingo

Si Senior, I speaka da lingo

Old Jul 4th 2004, 3:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well i have a standard "BBC" accent and I still get referred to as Australian.

Often by people who it turns out have been to the UK.

But then if all they know is London bar staff accents, then the confusion could be understandable.
Old Jul 4th 2004, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

People usually say to me they love my accent and then try to guess where I am from. Most of them say Ireland, some say Scotland and the cable guy thought I was from Switzerland????

When I tell them NW England they look at me gone out and then I have a hard time telling them I don't live in London and that I have only ever been there twice.

The best bit is when they know someone in England and ask if I may know them. One person even asked my husband did he know suchabody that lived in Holland.

One woman thought the kids were so cute and couldn't believe "2 little people with real English accents"
Old Jul 4th 2004, 3:42 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ash UK/US
Where in the north are you from?
I would say I am at a 50/50 spilt on being asked if I am Austrailian or if I am south african

Ash
Somewhere between Doncaster and Grimsby (I've stopped saying Scunthorpe as it tends to leave me wide open to all kinds of jokes, puns and general abuse...damn!!!!). Since being over here, I've only once been asked if I was South African...

Another usual exchange that is fast becoming a favourite of mine:

American: Where are you from?
Me: England
American: Ooh, whereabouts in England?
Me: Do you know England at all?
American: No.
Me: About half way up and a little to the right, then.
Old Jul 4th 2004, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by syllk

Another usual exchange that is fast becoming a favourite of mine:

American: Where are you from?
Me: England
American: Ooh, whereabouts in England?
Me: Do you know England at all?
American: No.
Me: About half way up and a little to the right, then.

Great reply! LOL
Old Jul 4th 2004, 6:54 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

When people ask where I am from in the UK I always say near where the Beatles are from. I guess that they have no idea where anything would be so mentioning the beatles (something they would of heard of) would be comforting.
Old Jul 4th 2004, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Patrick
When people ask where I am from in the UK I always say near where the Beatles are from. I guess that they have no idea where anything would be so mentioning the beatles (something they would of heard of) would be comforting.

I could say the birth place of Mr Davidson as in Harley Davidson that great all American Motorbike or near where the first ever Open Golf Chamionship was Played(Old Prestwick).
Old Jul 4th 2004, 10:32 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
I tell them I come from the tennis place, and then they say, "Oh, Wimpleton".
Old Jul 4th 2004, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

When people say "which part of England are you from?" I have to say "I'm not from England, I'm from Scotland", that gets them thinking. Some Americans seem to think England is the whole of the British Isles. No offence intended to English people out there, but Scotland is a country as well. I'm pround to have been born there and lived most of my life there, apart from a good few years living in England (which I enjoyed a lot) before moving here.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 12:12 pm
elf
Forum Regular

elf is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Originally posted by RoB1833
They definitely get confused with a northern accent, I have to suffer the same thing.... I mean not everyone in England speaks Suvvern!
Dont worry about it they also think londoners are aussies too, i think they only have an ear for their own accents and are quite parochial for such a large country really.