Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shrove Tuesday/Pancake Day on Tues 5th Feb!

Wikiposts

Shrove Tuesday/Pancake Day on Tues 5th Feb!

Old Feb 2nd 2008, 11:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shrove Tuesday/Pancake Day on Tues 5th Feb!

I always spread a dash of money and a squeeze of lemon on mine rather than a scoop of sugar...yum
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 11:26 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
"Perhaps the best known one is Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Day, which heralds the beginning of fasting in Lent. On this day (so the historians say) there were feasts of pancakes to use up the supplies of fat, butter and eggs - foods that were forbidden during austere Lent. "
That makes the most sense to me!

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Please pay attention:

These are pancakes (aka, plain crepes)
They are light, quite thin and a bit bland in and of themselves.
Traditionally, you
1) sprinkle sugar over them,
2) squeeze lemon juice over the sugar
3) roll them up as is shown.
Do try them, they are really delicious and not as stodgy and sweet as the hubcaps you get at IHOP, etc.
You are overdue for a spanking! I've had the pancakes before.. let's just get with it and call them CREPES which is what they are. With all the French words you all have adopted, I don't see why you should shun that one!
The Swedish style mix I have looks like a very close second.

Now, here's your funny stodgy story for the da.. er, half hour.
When I was waitressing at the "American" style diner in Greece, the darn British patrons kept asking me if we had any pudding. Pudding? WTF? "Like Jello?" Blank stare.
Finally I figure out that this means 'Do you have any dessert.. sweets?' and since we don't, I start hammering on the Bossman to get some desserts on the go. Well some Einstein sees 'pancakes' on the menu and orders 'em for dessert. We proudly cook up a batch of our best Mrs Butterworths or whatever American brand they've scared up at the market and bring out a platter of American style giant fluffy cakes (a meal IMO) drowning in pancake syrup and said patrons choke 'em down for dessert.

I was always surprised by orders for pancakes with lemon & sugar, but complied. I don't know how well they'd go down under normal circs, but the plates always came back empty. I happen to really like them this way!

Disgusted, and ever looking to exploit a sweet tooth, I invented a dessert of thick fluffy American pancakes with butter & syrup, 2 scoops of ice cream, a shot of Metaxa brandy and chocolate syrup over the whole mess for something like 5 euros.
We made a fortune.

It was however, the Greek American strawberry shortcake that won the DH over to my side. I haven't cooked a meal since!
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 11:27 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I always spread a dash of money and a squeeze of lemon on mine rather than a scoop of sugar...yum
I thought I was the capitalist pig?!
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 11:38 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
You are overdue for a spanking! I've had the pancakes before.. let's just get with it and call them CREPES which is what they are. With all the French words you all have adopted, I don't see why you should shun that one!

When I was waitressing at the "American" style diner in Greece, the darn British patrons kept asking me if we had any pudding. Pudding? WTF? "Like Jello?" Blank stare.
Finally I figure out that this means 'Do you have any dessert.. sweets?' and since we don't, I start hammering on the Bossman to get some desserts on the go. Well some Einstein sees 'pancakes' on the menu and orders 'em for dessert. We proudly cook up a batch of our best Mrs Butterworths or whatever American brand they've scared up at the market and bring out a platter of American style giant fluffy cakes (a meal IMO) drowning in pancake syrup and said patrons choke 'em down for dessert.

I was always surprised by orders for pancakes with lemon & sugar, but complied. I don't know how well they'd go down under normal circs, but the plates always came back empty. I happen to really like them this way!

Disgusted, and ever looking to exploit a sweet tooth, I invented a dessert of thick fluffy American pancakes with butter & syrup, 2 scoops of ice cream, a shot of Metaxa brandy and chocolate syrup over the whole mess for something like 5 euros.
We made a fortune.

It was however, the Greek American strawberry shortcake that won the DH over to my side. I haven't cooked a meal since!
Actually, I don't mind the US style pancakes at all. I've experimented in making the biggest one possible able to be flipped. There is absolutely nothing like real maple syrup on decent pancakes. Not cheap as you know. But wonderful.
Its just fun to impose pancakes on the gang one day a year.
I always associate "crepes" with savory dishes and sauces. But, in reality, they are basically the same thing - you are correct, I think.

That pudding (desert) sounds like a diabetic's nightmare. I'll have one with coffee please.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 11:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I was the capitalist pig?!
honey...I just can't type on the missus laptop
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Xebedee

That pudding (desert) sounds like a diabetic's nightmare. I'll have one with coffee please.
lol, I forgot the whipped cream on top!

Like the DH says "We're on our 'olidays, we can eat what we like!"

PS: he's very enchanted with your avi.. he's been telling me about Xebedee for ages and as such, he is actually NOT culturally abusing me.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:32 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

We made a fortune.

When we were in Kos we always stopped by this donut stand that a guy had-it had little tiny microwave donuts and he poured choclate syrup and whip cream on them-said they were an American dessert. Bless, we didn't have the heart to tell him different-
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:53 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I like Tate and Lyle's golden syrup and lemon juice on mine.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
honey...I just can't type on the missus laptop
Typo...yeah right. We now all know how you seduced the missus.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:05 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

lol, I forgot the whipped cream on top!

Like the DH says "We're on our 'olidays, we can eat what we like!"

PS: he's very enchanted with your avi.. he's been telling me about Xebedee for ages and as such, he is actually NOT culturally abusing me.
English logic, when it comes to anything other than work - is flawless.

and all Americans should be culturally abused.
They desperately need it.

*BOINGGGGGGG*
Said Zebedee.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:15 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering when it was, thanks for reminding us Englishmum

I like mine with lemon and sugar or with cheese..
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
That pancake is not the type of pancake eaten for Shrove Tuesday. The British pancake is more like a crepe.
A mug full of flour in a mixing bowl, add milk and 2 eggs ..... simple ... A REAL English pancake mix
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:05 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
A mug full of flour in a mixing bowl, add milk and 2 eggs ..... simple ... A REAL English pancake mix
Thank you Chef ...
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler

Blllluuurrrrrr.......TWO eggs with such little flour??? Doesn't it taste, well, eggy??
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:19 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Crepe-Grand Marnier c'est tout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.