Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shrove Tuesday (Pancake Day) 21st Feb! Here are some recipes:

Shrove Tuesday (Pancake Day) 21st Feb! Here are some recipes:

Old Feb 28th 2012, 1:43 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shrove Tuesday (Pancake Day) 21st Feb! Here are some recipes:

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I had a box of 'all natural' Aunt Jemima's blueberry pancakes in my freezer to eat at the weekends when I didn't have the time or patience to make English pancakes.....until I was horrified to discover that they use cellulose (wood pulp) as a cheap filler. The body can't digest cellulose.

You would be surprised how many products in the US have wood pulp in them:

http://savvysavingbytes.com/2011/07/...you-eat-today/
Eeeww I like a lot of those things
Old Feb 28th 2012, 1:51 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shrove Tuesday (Pancake Day) 21st Feb! Here are some recipes:

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I had a box of 'all natural' Aunt Jemima's blueberry pancakes in my freezer to eat at the weekends when I didn't have the time or patience to make English pancakes.....until I was horrified to discover that they use cellulose (wood pulp) as a cheap filler. The body can't digest cellulose.

You would be surprised how many products in the US have wood pulp in them:

http://savvysavingbytes.com/2011/07/...you-eat-today/
In defence of cellulose or wood pulp, I assume it is fairly inert and definitely less harmful than a lot of cheap fillers that were used in food in former times. Er.. and now..

Potassium Bromate:
A dough conditioner and bleaching agent. In 1993 the World Health Organization (WHO) recommended its removal from all foods. Banned in many countries but still used in the USA
Health effects: A carcinogen and mutagen. Lead to kidney, stomach, and thyroid tumors in animal tests.
Used in: Bread, white flour, fast food buns such as Burger King, Wendy's, and Arby's