Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shoutout to Phoenix, AZ

Shoutout to Phoenix, AZ

Old Apr 6th 2010, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shoutout to Phoenix, AZ

Hello everyone.

Are there many of us Brits about the valley of the sun?

I moved here last July from Brooklyn NY looking for a bit more of a laid back life with better weather and more sunshine. For the moment we are renting in "delightful" Scottsdale because it is near some of my wife's extended family. I wouldn't mind meeting up with some fellow expats to talk about warm beer, proper football and fish and chips.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Shoutout to Phoenix, AZ

Hi Sir_Eccles

Looks like we'll be moving to the Chandler area (initially) around the end of September... it'd be good to discuss warm beer and proper football and remind ourselves that games that involve picking up the ball and running/passing are called rugby!

Cheers

Harry
Old Jul 11th 2010, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Peteusa will become famous soon enoughPeteusa will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Shoutout to Phoenix, AZ

Hello mate!

We've lived in Phoenix for 15 years, and it appears that you are lucky that the places that have any british expat presence is in the Scotsdale/Chandler/Tempe area. We live at Avondale, which is about 12 miles or so to the west of central Phoenix, so its hard to get involved at that distance, although I wish we could. There's not a hint of anything british out here!

Unfortunately there's only one british type pub, run by a british landlord, and thats the George & Dragon on Central Avenue. I dont care for the place much, but each to there own.

The British Open on Scotsdale Road is british in name only. We used to go there a lot when it belonged to the previous landlord and his wife, and we made lots of good friends. They unfortunately went back to Florida, so the british element they'd attracted didnt bother any more, and neither did we. It retains the British Open name but thats about as british as it gets. There's an abundance of Irish pubs about the place, but that doesnt do it for me.

If any other expats reading this know of a british type pub in the west valley, and I'm missing something, please let me know.

Best Wishes

Pete
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Shoutout to Phoenix, AZ

Thanks for the info Pete.

I wonder if there's a gap in the market then...? (any entrepreneur types out there?!)

Cheers

Harry
Old Jul 15th 2010, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Nickw_2308 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm just in the process of organising my move to Phoenix, should be there early September. Will be staying in the Tempe area initially, good to know there are others doing the same.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Good luck with the move...

By the way, what's prompted the move - are you already living in the US, or is this all new?

Cheers

Harry
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

My wife is from the US and it was always our intention to move there at some point. An interesting job came up with my Company in Phoenix, they were prepared to sponsor my move so it seemed like the perfect opportunity. I've spent a lot of time in the US but never lived there so this is all new, lots to do over the next few weeks.
Nick
Old Jul 15th 2010, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Forgot to mention we are still in the UK right now living in Hampshire.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Exclamation Re: Shoutout to Phoenix, AZ

OMG - spooky - so are we - Fareham!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

We are in Bentley, between Alton and Farnham.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

Anymore for anymore!! Any expats on the west side of Phoenix! ?

Old Jul 31st 2010, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

We are the other side, in Tempe for the next 3 months.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thats a long way from Avondale, but my wife and daughter are'nt letting that stand in the way of them seeing Adam Lambert live at a the Tempe Marquee tonight! (sunday). I wouldnt have minded going, but they could only get two tickets. Its sold out evidently.

No matter what anybody might say, he really is a brilliant performer IMHO.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

USBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

My husband and I, both Brits, live in Phoenix - sort of north central I guess. Love it here, at least most of the year - summers can be challenging.

I know there are other regulars on this site that are Phx based.

Re. pubs I agree with the previous poster - many fewer than in So Cal - yes room for an entrepreneurial type with deep pockets!
Old Aug 11th 2010, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Do any of you know what the rules are on obtaining an Arizona driving licence, do you need to take a test? How long can you drive on a UK licence?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.