Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should we bring our electronic goods?

Should we bring our electronic goods?

Old Jan 17th 2019, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Ealing man in NY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should we bring our electronic goods?

Hi all, we've just had our visa approved today so our move to NYC in 6 weeks is on which is great news. We're now in the process of choosing what to bring (paid for by my wife's company) and what keep here (we're renting our home furnished). We'd like some advice on whether to bring our electronic stuff over given the difference in voltages etc.

Specifically we're thinking of laptop/tablet, Sonos speakers and playbars, lamps and radios. We can replace most of the kitchen appliances easily enough but there a couple of items we would like to bring across if possible (sentimental/expense) so wanted to find out whether having a load of converters is a practical solution for each item in what is likely to be a 2 bedroom apartment in Manhattan.

As the cost of shipping is covered anything we don't have to replace in NYC will help in the first few months. Any advice/experience will be welcome.

Thanks
Old Jan 17th 2019, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we bring our electronic goods?

Yes (You just need new lead - no transformer):
Sonos speakers
Tablets
Laptops

No
Lamps
(You didn't ask but I would put DVD/BD players in this group as well)

For kitchen items generally no, but it depends. For instance I brought an Espresso machine and a Magimix which can run off a transformer eg https://www.amazon.com/Power-Bright-VC1500W-Transformer-converter/dp/B000MXZ2XK
In general a load of converters is just a hassle, so really minimize it to very sentimental items
Old Jan 17th 2019, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Check the power supply rating plate. If it says "100-240V, 50-60Hz" you are golden. Just need a new lead or plug.

Lamps can be used with a 120V bulb if they have a screw fitting. The bayonet fitting is rare in the US. Again would need a new plug. Bear in mind that a 60W bulb at 120V uses twice the current as a 60W at 240V and consequently it may exceed the rating of the wire creating a fire hazard. An LED bulb should be OK.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 5:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Using a transformer (not a "converter" which is a rinky-dink device at best suitable for a traveler) may well be contrary to the terms of a rental lease and/or your home/renters insurance. It's true nobody may notice, but if you start a fire the fire investigator may notice that you were using a transformer and/or "wrong voltage" appliances i.e. you manage to remove the transformer before the investigator showed up it would leave the question as to how you were running a 240v appliance? To that end I would say never run anything on a transformer unless you are there, awake, and in the same room with it.

That said, I brought a few "sentimental" things, and if you do so, be sure to buy a suitably rated transformer, which I would recommend is rated for at least twice the wattage/ current that you ever plan to use it for, and I would start at 1KW anyway if using it for anything other than lights.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Ealing man in NY is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the messages - all very helpful, though it has probably added to our list of things to bring!
Old Jan 18th 2019, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

The only electronics I'd bring (and did bring) was laptop, tablet and phone.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from lap tops and iPads we only bought my KitchenAid and a large Bose speaker. Speaker works fine with an adapter but the kitchen aid needs a transformer and they are big, heavy and expensive. Worth it as it isn’t an appliance l use daily so l store the transformer for when l need it. Aside from that we bought all new which if you shop around isn’t terribly expensive.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 1:15 pm
KCMO

michaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, i'd stick to the personal electronics - Laptop, Games Console, Tablets, Phone Chargers. Not worth the hassle of bringing anything bigger, let alone the transformer.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

For all the multi-voltage equipment, like the Sonos Speakers, you will want to buy new mains leads rather than trying to use the UK one with an adapter. Luckily nearly all equipment will be either the 3 prong "kettle plug" i.e. C13, or the 2-prong "figure of 8" C7 (search for IEC60320 sometimes called IEC320 for short for pictures). You can order a bunch of them and nearly all your equipment will just work - however please check that they accept 110V first.
Old Jan 19th 2019, 3:27 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OldJuddian
... however please check that they accept 110V first.
​​​​​​​And 60Hz frequency.
Old Jan 21st 2019, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Lanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond repute

I brought most of my electronics that were 110-240 and even my Onkyo Amp which was 240v as I couldn't sell it as it was cheaper to buy a converter than replace. I also brought my Henry and George Vacuum cleaners I got Acupwr transformers the best I could find.
Old Nov 24th 2019, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michaelr711
Yeah, i'd stick to the personal electronics - Laptop, Games Console, Tablets, Phone Chargers. Not worth the hassle of bringing anything bigger, let alone the transformer.
So X Box, X Box 1 S and and old Sega mega drive are items I wanted to bring me with me when I eventually get my K1 visa. Can these be used no issue? Will also bring my laptop and tablets. As want to be able to play my British DVDs although am sure I could get a US dvd player which has multi-region or can be made one with a code.

Nikki
Old Nov 24th 2019, 2:30 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

We brought our Xbox360 from the UK and just got a new power brick for it, that initially enabled the boys to play some familiar games but is now mainly our DVD player for UK DVDs. Later on over here in the USA we purchased an Xbox One and that is now the main games console and also our US DVD/Bluray player.
Old Nov 24th 2019, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

park99 is an unknown quantity at this point

The UK kettles won't work in USA so be prepared for this:
I had trouble buying a electric kettle here after searching several big supermarkets in person .... When I asked the staff in stores, they pointed me to the stovetop kettles.

I ordered one from Amazon in the end. And for the same price, I feel I could get better quality and more powerful ones in UK, but it does the job.

I can't find Twinings Decaf Earl Grey tea in my local stores, again have to order online.
Old Nov 27th 2019, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Bring laptops. computers, iPads, phones, hard drives etc,

virtually everything else I’d just leave and get new. Luckily electronics are mostly so cheap these days...