Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should someone with a history of depression be an expat?

Should someone with a history of depression be an expat?

Old Jun 27th 2012, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should someone with a history of depression be an expat?

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Good luck to you. I'm sure you are doing the right thing. Men who "change" the moment they get married have severe emotional issues and it will NOT go well. I know whereof I speak. Happy landings.
Usually the problem is men who do not change.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 12:51 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Usually the problem is men who do not change.
I beg to differ, although I take your point about "I love you, your're perfect, now change"..

Men who change suddenly once they, in their view, "possess" you or feel tied down (ie possessed by you), and start with abusive behaviour that they never showed before, have, um, issues. And it's a classic pattern. It doesn't end well.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 1:29 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I beg to differ, although I take your point about "I love you, your're perfect, now change"..

Men who change suddenly once they, in their view, "possess" you or feel tied down (ie possessed by you), and start with abusive behaviour that they never showed before, have, um, issues. And it's a classic pattern. It doesn't end well.
I totally agree. It's usually a matter of control. Marriage should have nothing to do with control, but unfortunately for some spouses (not only men) it does.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 2:09 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I totally agree. It's usually a matter of control. Marriage should have nothing to do with control, but unfortunately for some spouses (not only men) it does.
Yep. Need for control, or fear of being controlled, fed by immense personal insecurity.

Run, don't walk, from these people.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

HighCountry will become famous soon enoughHighCountry will become famous soon enough

Some would say that depression can be useful in helping us to see problems and do something about them. It think it affects most of us at some point.

Moving to a new country (and sticking it out) requires a certain strength of character (or is that stubbornness?). You also have to be prepared to adapt and embrace at least some of the differences you'll encounter.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 6:20 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighCountry
Some would say that depression can be useful in helping us to see problems and do something about them. It think it affects most of us at some point.
I agree. (I think I may have said so something similar in an earlier page of this interminable thread.) The trouble is while some degree of depression can be a normal part of life's ups & downs, too much depression can disable one's ability to function. Sometimes too much depression actively *prevents* people from seeing how to solve problems.

Moving to a new country (and sticking it out) requires a certain strength of character (or is that stubbornness?).
Or just liking the new country. Both liking the new country and being stubborn can help too . . . .
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

rochester jane is a name known to allrochester jane is a name known to allrochester jane is a name known to allrochester jane is a name known to allrochester jane is a name known to allrochester jane is a name known to allrochester jane is a name known to allrochester jane is a name known to allrochester jane is a name known to allrochester jane is a name known to allrochester jane is a name known to all

Thanks for all the great replys and support. I,m now back with my friends and family in the UK. I have no regrets about doing this move. I am now laughing and feel I belong again. Just need to find a job and a place to live and I will be on the mend.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rochester jane
Thanks for all the great replys and support. I,m now back with my friends and family in the UK. I have no regrets about doing this move. I am now laughing and feel I belong again. Just need to find a job and a place to live and I will be on the mend.
Thanks for the update Jane. I'm pleased you feel happier now you're back home. All the very best to you.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

rochester jane is a name known to allrochester jane is a name known to allrochester jane is a name known to allrochester jane is a name known to allrochester jane is a name known to allrochester jane is a name known to allrochester jane is a name known to allrochester jane is a name known to allrochester jane is a name known to allrochester jane is a name known to allrochester jane is a name known to all

Cheers xxxxxx