Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should my better half have applied for SSN?

Should my better half have applied for SSN?

Old Dec 8th 2008, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

lochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud of
Default Should my better half have applied for SSN?

Hi All,
Well its been a little over a month since we touched down in NYC. its fair to say its been a bumpy landing with everything including illness, tears and mother-in-laws.

I managed to get my SSN really quick, 2 weeks to be precise. My question is, my wife isn't working at the moment and we don't yet have her permit, should she/can she apply for an SSN now?

I'm just unclear on what you actually need it for besides everything like Mobile Phones, Insurance etc etc but figured we can use mine for most things.

Thanks,
Daz
Old Dec 8th 2008, 2:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should my better half have applied for SSN?

What visa is she on and what "permit" is she waiting for? Do you mean an employment authorization document?
Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:03 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i applied for mine the day after my husband and i still havnt got round to doing my ead! so if shes an L2 then go get it - just saves a lot of hassle all round if you can give one for phones etc.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 4:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lochdaz-of-blantyre
Hi All,
Well its been a little over a month since we touched down in NYC. its fair to say its been a bumpy landing with everything including illness, tears and mother-in-laws.

I managed to get my SSN really quick, 2 weeks to be precise. My question is, my wife isn't working at the moment and we don't yet have her permit, should she/can she apply for an SSN now?

I'm just unclear on what you actually need it for besides everything like Mobile Phones, Insurance etc etc but figured we can use mine for most things.

Thanks,
Daz
hi, I looked up your old posts on a hunch & am glad I did (someone else needs your L-1 arrival info).

Your wife needs to apply for her Social Security number; she is entitled to one without an EAD if she is an L-2. She needs everything you had, her own ID and your marriage certificate (details in the Immigration forum).

She will want it for a driver's license, and I think you'll find filing your tax return easier (must file between Jan 1 - April 15).
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From Yorkshire to Paris, the long way round via Michigan.
midwestowl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
hi, I looked up your old posts on a hunch & am glad I did (someone else needs your L-1 arrival info).

Your wife needs to apply for her Social Security number; she is entitled to one without an EAD if she is an L-2. She needs everything you had, her own ID and your marriage certificate (details in the Immigration forum).

She will want it for a driver's license, and I think you'll find filing your tax return easier (must file between Jan 1 - April 15).
i'm a little confused as i'm here on an L2 and i was under the impression without an EAD i couldn't get a SSN.
I have a letter from the office stating I am not entitled to one and used that when i got my drivers licence?
have i done this wrong?
Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:19 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

as an L2 you are entitled to an ssn. I have one. I havent got EAD (havnt even applied). I would just go down the ss office with the relevant docs (marriage cert, visa, immigration form etc) and ask for one.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:47 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midwestowl
i'm a little confused as i'm here on an L2 and i was under the impression without an EAD i couldn't get a SSN.
I have a letter from the office stating I am not entitled to one and used that when i got my drivers licence?
have i done this wrong?
An L-2 spouse can get a SSN without EAD; L-2 dependents can not.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Yorkshire to Paris, the long way round via Michigan.
midwestowl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
An L-2 spouse can get a SSN without EAD; L-2 dependents can not.
thanks for that folks, actually i was about to get my number imminently as my EAD arrived this weekend, join the Michigan unemployed...