Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should I be worried? First UK Child's Passport not here yet...

Should I be worried? First UK Child's Passport not here yet...

Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:43 am
Just Joined

misses_ski is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Should I be worried? First UK Child's Passport not here yet...

Applying for my daughter's first UK passport and have returned the Marriage Form. I noticed $12.24 from the Consular Service was taken out of my account on January 10, ten days ago. Should I be worried that it has gotten lost in the mail or is this a common business practice for the passport office?

I love researching the forum, but I couldn't find an answer. Thank you for all your advice in advance.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I be worried? First UK Child's Passport not here yet...

Originally Posted by misses_ski View Post
I noticed $12.24 from the Consular Service was taken out of my account on January 10, ten days ago. Should I be worried that it has gotten lost in the mail or is this a common business practice for the passport office?
If you're in the US and you sent the application to the British Embassy in DC... a first-time UK passport usually takes 10-11 weeks to process.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jan 20th 2011 at 12:43 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ian-mstm View Post
If you're in the US and you sent the application to the British Embassy in DC... a first-time UK passport usually takes 10-11 weeks to process.

Ian
In December/November 2010 I applied for my daughters passport. From the time I dropped the application in the post to the time it arrived on my doorstep was 10 days. This was her first passport application since she was only born in July 2010. This was also sent to the Embassy in DC. YMMV

I should also mention that we recieved the Marriage certificate, her birth certificate and mine about 1 week after I got her passport.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

hd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ian-mstm View Post

Ian
I spoke to someone at the embassy two days ago who said currently first-time applications are taking 4 weeks.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light

My daughters first time application has been more than 5 weeks now and no sign of it yet.
It arrived at the Passport place on Dec 14th.
The fee was deducted 10 days after arrival.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mwdake View Post
My daughters first time application has been more than 5 weeks now and no sign of it yet.
It arrived at the Passport place on Dec 14th.
The fee was deducted 10 days after arrival.
But with all due respect they were probably shut for at least week between Christmas and New Year's....hang on in there!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lisa67 View Post
But with all due respect they were probably shut for at least week between Christmas and New Year's....hang on in there!
True, I'll take that in to consideration before I check with them.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

We just renewed my son's UK passport and it took a good 6 weeks.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:41 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for your help. I feel a bit better now about it not being lost in the mail.

They received the marriage form with the complete application on January 5. I have seen on the forum that this makes it like a new application. Does anyone know if this is accurate? I would just like to know when to start counting the weeks from.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

hd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nice

I'm wondering how you can check on your application? On their website they said they don't like you to call.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

I didn't know there was a number to call either. But I ended up not needing it anyways. My daughter's passport arrived today, 2 weeks after they took the money out of my account for shipping.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by misses_ski View Post
I didn't know there was a number to call either. But I ended up not needing it anyways. My daughter's passport arrived today, 2 weeks after they took the money out of my account for shipping.

Now I am worried about my daughters passport application.
The passport office charged $232.40 back on Dec 20th. It will be 6 weeks tomorrow since they got the application; but I have not seen a second charge for shipping.
I see times on here ranging from a 10 days to 4 weeks.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

The new passport arrived today.
It took 6 weeks exactly and all is well in the world now, at least for me.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 3:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mwdake View Post
The new passport arrived today.
It took 6 weeks exactly and all is well in the world now, at least for me.
Great to hear that you got it! can breathe easier
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

I think our child's also took about 6-8 wks. I did find a number to call, it's actually a number for the UK and cost us about $15 for 5 mins but it may just put your mind at rest. Here is the info for the number that was obtained from the Embassy website.

"If we can't answer your question on the website please call our Passport Information Helpline (Careline): + 44 208 082 4721.

Hours of operation: Weekdays: Monday 0800 until Friday 2000 Eastern Standard Time."

Make sure that whoever filled out the application (yourself or spouse) phones as they will only talk to the applicant.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.