Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should I wait to file Change of Address?

Should I wait to file Change of Address?

Old Jul 25th 2002, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

kjdrga is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I wait to file Change of Address?

I will be moving out of my parents house and into an apartment a couple of weeks before my fiance arrives. Should I file the change of address and give him all the details so when he is asked at POE he states the new address? or the old address?

My thinking is that even if I file the change of address, more than likely it would not be updated in the computer before he arrives. And then if it is and he gives both addresses it could cause confusion.

Or I file it once he arrives in the country and that places both of us at the new address even in we are about a month into the lease.

What should I do?

Thanks.
Old Jul 25th 2002, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

cbernard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should I wait to file Change of Address?

not sure about the timing, but something i learned: call the INS several times and ask different agents the proper way to change the address. you will get a different answer each time. The INS is changing those rules so often that the operators are unable to keep up.

I called 4 times and got 4 different answers
Old Jul 25th 2002, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

It turns out that the apartment is ready earlier than I thought and so it will actually turn out to be about 6 weeks lapse between, when I official take the apartment and when he arrives, I think I'll send in the change of address and just hope this doesn't muck up the process at POE. I am also now thinking that perhaps I should encourage him to go through JFK and not Miami, since that is where the EAD stamps seem to be given out. Of course between now and then I'm sure that will change too.

Thanks for the advice, I'll call them several times.
Old Jul 26th 2002, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

I just spoke to an agent at the INS customer service line. She stated that because my fiance is not in the country currently I do not need to file as change of address unless I was waiting on paperwork from INS. She aslo stated that he would have to be in the country for at least 30 days before it is absolutely necessary to file the change of address and when we file for AOS to make sure the address is changed.